From Mississippi

CaptRonJon

Hey everyone, I go to Mississippi State University. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years now. I have a 2005 MIM Fender Strat H/S/S (from bridge to neck), A Peavey Raptor I bought at a pawn shop for $70. Stripped the the beautiful 3-tone sunburst paint off of it, stained it, put a little white house paint on it, sanded it (a lot), burned a Deadhead into it and drew a shroom on the back for The Allman Brothers Band, bought a wood pickguard for a 11 hole Strat, dremeled the mess out of it, bought Fender Vintage Noisless pickups, and finally had Tony at Backstage Music in Starkville, MS wire it up for me (phenomenal work). I also have a Hofner Sienna Series HAS-07 acoustic, and an Epiphone acoustic/electric. I have a mid-late 90's Fender Princeton Chorus 2-10 solid state amp and a Fender Deluxe 1-12 tube amp. I use a Dunlop Cry Baby Classic (about to sell and get a RMC1) and an Electro- Harmonix Small Stone and I use Booze Blues Guitar Slides. Mainly play blues or blues influenced stuff (Jimi, Floyd, Cream, etc.)... a little bit of reggae at times also. GO DAWGS!... AND GOT TO HELL OLE MISS!

Backstage Music in Starkville, MS:
www.backstagemusic.com

Pictures are coming soon of all equipment.

CaptRonJon

Which Dr. Z amp do you have Ken? I'm looking at getting a Dr. Z amp. I'm really interested in the MAZ 38 Sr. "NR" and the Z-28. I have read a lot of good things about these amps but have yet to play one. Are you pretty satisfied with it. I'm also getting a few more pedals (Barber Trifecta or Voodoo Labs Superfuzz, RWC1 wah or Budda Wah, and a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 with Analog.Man Silver Mod). Anyways, let me know how you feel about the Dr. Z amp. Thanks.

Ken I

Silver Supporting Member
Which Dr. Z amp do you have Ken? I'm looking at getting a Dr. Z amp. I'm really interested in the MAZ 38 Sr. "NR" and the Z-28. I have read a lot of good things about these amps but have yet to play one. Are you pretty satisfied with it. I'm also getting a few more pedals (Barber Trifecta or Voodoo Labs Superfuzz, RWC1 wah or Budda Wah, and a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 with Analog.Man Silver Mod). Anyways, let me know how you feel about the Dr. Z amp. Thanks.
I have a Maz 18 Jr 1x12 combo with reverb. This is the 4th one I have had and it is the most versatile amp for what I play. I keep going back and forth between the Z and Carr Ramblers but the Z seems to fit my needs better. The build quality is top notch and I feel they are a bit undervalued in todays market.

theHoss

I spent a Thanksgiving there once. It was the most memorable Thanksgiving I have ever had. Highlights:

1) Awesome game of pickup football.
2) Stellar jam with this old blues guy from down the street (nicknamed, Mr. Potato Head)..."Love is the power!".
3) Eating TG dinner off of a beat up pool table buffet style.

Welcome aboard!

localmotion411

Platinum Supporting Member
Welcome to TGP from a recent MSU grad ('03)!

Between then and now, I have bought and sold so much gear it is ridiculous. All I can say is have fun and watch your bank account!

The first amp I bought out of school was a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. w/ reverb (1x12 w/ G12H30). Great amp, but extremely loud when it gives up the goods. Being a blues player like me, you'll probably dig the Carmen Ghia. Great little amp. Or just get a good Fender Deluxe Reverb and start from there.

brlfq

CaptRonJon,
Welcome to The Gear Page. Two of my kids are up there at MSU with you. There are a herd of their friends and acquaintances up there, too. If you are ever in need, give me a shout and I'll get you in touch with some Brandon folks. (Even though I send most of my meager earnings to Starkville these days, I'm still a die hard Southern Miss fan! If you lapdogs at State want to play some real football, come on down to Hattiesburg on a frosty Saturday afternoon next fall!)

Chris

CaptRonJon

Haha, well brlfq, I'm sure that everyone knows that they only conference that knows... and I mean knows... football is the SEC. But maybe we can get there for a pickup game, haha. Good luck ya'll this baseball season. My best friend's brother pitched for Southern a few years back (about7-10 years). Excellent pitcher from Madison.

Trending Topics