From Modular to Mac, advice on equipment

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by The Whale, Sep 18, 2008.

1. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm currently running a Tascam DM24 mixer into a Mackie MDR-2496 24 track hard disc recorder. I have a few outboard preamps, and mix to a Tascam CD burner. I've run this system for about 8 years now, as it resembled most the analog setup i worked with in school. Recently, i have a chance to mix some live tracks on Logic 8, and i really enjoyed being able to do some of the editting and such at home on my Macbook, and then bring those tracks into the studio and continue to work. I also enjoyed the ease at which the soundman who captured the show set his rig up... a 2 space rack with 16 inputs total into his laptop. This started me thinking about moving my studio from the hardware set-up i have now to a software based system. The rub: i know VERY little about software based recording. As i mentioned, i learned on analog, and i am very used to mixing with faders :). So, i need a system that can:

1. do at least 16 tracks simultaneously
    2. return at least 3 mixes (1 to the control room, 2 to the tracking room)
    3. the rack-interfaces can fit into a 2-3 space rack for easy transport
    4. the interfaces can connect to a Mac via 1 Firewire 400 or 1 USB 2.

What would you recommend? my budget isn't massive, but not entry level either.

After getting the gear locked down, i'd be curious as to how you all connect your studios. Do you run analog boards into the interfaces? How do you monitor back from the interfaces? (do you build headphone mixes in the recording program on externally on the board?)

Thanks again for your input. It's a strange new world, but i'm looking forward to it :)

Peace,
    Mike

2. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

for SW, Pro Tools is full enough to handle anything you want to throw at it. I would look at the M-Audio line of interfaces, they make some wonderful hardware, almost all of which includes Pro Tools and connects via Fire Wire which will prevent latency.