From the Well-Hung StrapLab

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by TVvoodoo, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier Silver Supporting Member

Some new amp grill straps now up on in my reverb store, if you are into this sort of thing.
    Light, strong, crazy cool. These straps pretty much scream shameless "Gear Whore"
    THICK leather here. Probably outlast you, my friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AceBSpankin likes this.
  2. TVvoodoo

For anyone who is perhaps into playing/sharing original music, I have a "Seasonal Song Contest" up now where you could win a Guitar strap direct from my workshop (the elves are on it right now!).
    I will probably be adding mine in too, but I won't be including myself in the final judging. I do these to encourage people to share, play original music and it's a great way to stretch yourself.

First submission is in - and it's a very cool instrumental!

Here is the link to the rules and the place where you can submit your songs - http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/make-us-a-joyful-noise-song-contest.97703/

3. TVvoodoo

Been distracted by a NGD for a few days but now it's time to get back to work.

[​IMG]

Leather lacing is done (my fingers are killing me!) , now to paint the white stripes, add the League crests, pad 'em out, and put the backing on and sew them together into
    one whole comfy unit. Sounds easy, probably take me a couple weeks, oh and make the tail straps too.

Really sweet genuine football leather body here. There will only be 10 in existence in the whole wide world.
    I have mine and one other forum member "Da Bears" Fan has his already (with team crest added), I believe he digs it quite a lot.

if anyone wants one, I'll be reverbing these as blanks in december, you can put your own team pin on it or something.

and.... small edit.. lines painted!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. TVvoodoo

Just in time for the playoffs these are now up on reverb

[​IMG]

Quite fantastic, actually. photos are strategic due to strategic strategy, because of sewn
    on crest patches of a league that rhymes with Senagal. You add your team button, or metal pin.

Just THE perfect strap if you happen to be booked for the big half-time show. :rimshot or not.

Very long straps - line-backer sized, I guess. 47" - 58" or so. padded, real leather, TOUCHDOWN!

[​IMG]

also got these on the machine right now - skull embossed, gunmetal, with black ends... oh MY! VERY dark!
    Calling it my Genocide series.

[​IMG]

AceBSpankin likes this.
  5. TVvoodoo

Reverbded a few new Shock & Awe slings, individually numbered in series. One of my more popular straps over past years.
    NOS military cotton webbing in 3" wide, padded shoulder, unique double D-ring adjustment allows these to go long.

#32 "This is my Guitar. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

[​IMG]

#33 and #34 are rather rare Black Ops editions.

6. TVvoodoo

Added a couple of new ones tonight, another of the already-shown Champagne & Guinness series, this time with a goth-y twist.
    Changed it up a bit with an experiment. Built the new set of four from a wide / strong YOGA-mat base, all sewn together then
    added heavy duty leather ends. The result is pretty spectacular. Elegant raised damask pattern, teeny sexy gold bits in it too.

[​IMG]

Also added a new one... a couple of my "Narcos" series. Found a cool mexi-blanket, and proceeded to cut the heck out of it
    and make some of the most pleasurable slings I've ever crafted (and I've made hundreds of straps with comfort as a main focus!).
    I've been watching for Mexican blankets all over the place now, because I will definitely have to make more.

[​IMG]

The secret behind the extreme comfort with these I think is a magical combination...

1. The blanket feels like home on the shoulder
    2. I added foam padding inside, muy loco?
    3. The whole strap has about 1.5 inches of "give" to it - acts like an on-board shock absorber,
    but they don't feel all "twangy."

Why Narcos? Obvious South of the border connection, but also because they feel way too good to be legal.
    3 in 3" wide, 3 in 2.5" wide.

Check 'em out, if you happen to be seeking the only the highest possible level of strappin' comfort.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    R3deemed likes this.
  7. TVvoodoo

Get under the hot spotlight with Glitterati, and well, you'll probably blow minds before you even play a note.
    Hell, why even bother? Just strut around a bit and smile, then enjoy the adoring applause.

[​IMG]

supergenius365 likes this.
  8. TVvoodoo

just finishing up a set of three in the Stage King line, 3" wide and padded, with a new backing -
    Wide wale corduroy upholstery that's soft and comfy, but with the horizontal orientation of the pattern, basically negates neck dive.

If you want a slippy-aroundy strap, this one ain't your Huckleberry! Nice oil tanned leather ends. Long wearing quality.

[​IMG]

I see someone else now has glow in the dark picks Congratulations!
    For months now, I been throwing a bunch of my PLECTRA pics in with every strap order, free!

[​IMG]

These ones have a grommet for your keychain, but I always include some that are intact as well.

9. TVvoodoo

**AHEM***

Announcing.... A Major Well-Hung Announcement!

We will not be attending NAMM, so don't look for us there. Us? I mean, uh... me.
    The lonely puttering guy in the basement shop, who crafts this quality gear more out of brotherly love than for profit.

PLUS, I really hate crowds. And, eely sales types.

This has been a Well-Hung Announcement.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    R3deemed and AceBSpankin like this.
  10. TVvoodoo

Second Genocide strap went up this afternoon, along with a few others.
    I don't work much in "bonded leather' but that's how you get these cool patterns and textures. Only 100% full grain leather on the ends though, that stuff matters bigly to me. I think I'll work with it again, if the pattern is right.

[​IMG]

Also, a strap I named Pinky Tuscadero - beautiful embroidered bubble gummy sari trim married to tan alcantara on the back - long wearing no-slip backing, fire, mold and mildew resistant too! Only two of these in existence - the other one sold within two days of hitting the display case at the local music store (generously padded out in the shoulder like most of my straps are).

[​IMG]

Also a couple of new Stage King straps - about five years ago I began testing corduroy as a way to minimize neck dive, and by golly it works pretty darn excellent, and if you
    use it right, looks real cool too... adds a texture like a snake belly kind of, comfy and long-wearing too.

[​IMG]

File under "blowing my own horn" here's a review just came in from a reverbite on this Stage King, version above:

"This is the comfiest strap I have ever worn. Not only does it look cool as can be, it makes me feel like the baddest mofo in town. Very impressed with this seller, do not hesitate to buy a Well-Hung strap!!"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  11. TVvoodoo

Someone suggested I try my hand at making another kind of strap keeper, the kind that wrap around by the nut, and let you fellas get your C&W on.

I typically have lots of quality scrap leather around, seems to be plenty similar out there, so they must be selling... I figured why don't I give it a try?

Attach the metal Well-Hung guitar Strap emblem to a 9" chunk of very tough leftover football leather... I doubled it over, CA'd it and clamped it for added security.

This special punch, is the one I call "That Tool I Always Spend Three Times More Time Finding, Than Actually Using" helps secure it to the leather.

[​IMG]

flip on through to the other side...

[​IMG]

Simple matter of cutting a hole and a slit in the other end, and affixing to the strap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not exactly genius, but simple, effective, secure. Let's call them the Well-Hung StrapWrap

Similar items probably cost eight, ten bucks at other places. For a limited time, starting from the date of this post, say a couple months, order any strap from my Reverb store, I'll plain throw one of these in if you ask nice. Left-handed versions also available for a little more cost. ;-)

I craft plenty of straps I feel will handily solve neck dive, due to design and materials i have selected over years of trial and some error LOL . HOWEVER, if you believe you have an unsolvable neck diver, and are somehow driven to NOT sell it off? I fully believe this above method of headstock strapping on your forward end is a good last possible resort solution.

Or you could try tying a bunch of like fifty helium balloons onto your headstock. my solution is slightly less clowny LOL

Recently, there have been several discussions on strap locks for electrics on this forum. One well-known hardware company recently finally woke up after years and years of owners complaining about their product to take it upon themselves to improve the way the mechanism attaches to your strap. ALMOST THREE DECADES nuts just falling off, guitars crashing down, or almost crashing, and the company finally decides to get around to addressing the problem, which was mainly to just add a few more threads for attachment of the mechanism onto a the strap.
    Now THAT'S customer care and service.

And, the sheeple are falling in line to buy the new/improved item and sing praises for the company in being so responsive. Give me a break. Sorry, maybe that's come off as a bit of a rant. My point is, the lock hardware may be just fine, the strap may be just fine, the method of attachment may be just fine, but keep adding more more and more links to that securement chain, more bits, more pieces, and you end up adding more things that can fail.

Those various noisy metal gadgets, ball bearings that suddenly explode or evaporate, minuscule set screws, plastic built-in thingamijiggies, beer washers, all that jazz? I've tried 'em, but dislike all of it. Each time I get a new/used guitar with them on, they are uninstalled with extreme prejudice. Personally, I don't want more noise, more mechanical pieces more leverage, tiny screws those things come with (smaller than the stock screws in some cases - and you know what that means), snap clips or plastic slidey things, or sharp-edged metal objects clunking against my guitars. Come on!

Beer washers are ok, but the sort of straps I make in my backwoods workshop, with real robust heavy leather ends? They often won't allow room on a typical strap pin for the beer washer, and if you ask me... that's a GOOD thing.

I offer the following assertion: If you actually have extra room on a typical strap button for your strap AND a rubber beer gasket, it's seriously not a strap I would trust very far, or for very long. Those are often the kind of strap ends prone to sudden disintegration or stretching out and popping. I have also personally had beer gaskets just plain shoot off randomly while fiddling with them ... so... nosiree for me on those, that's a full stop negatory, roger-doger, over and out.

Once again it bears mentioning in my opinion, (and I have a massive vested interest in the matter of strap/guitar security) simplicity reigns. My first suggestion for improved guitar security, and player peaceful-mindedness is this:

Just a plain old larger guitar strap button. Gibson has made a good one, Agile guitars come with nice ones, Dunlop makes one that is pretty ok, too. But a JUMBO guitar strap button, guitar strap pin, over-sized strap pins or up sized buttons - call 'em what you want, is even better and effectively negates the need for gadgetry and gimmickry.

Here is the one I came up with on the right, designed with help from another player who has the technology.
    [​IMG]

An oversized guitar strap button with a good robust screw will take you a whole minute to install. They will provide you a lifetime of worry free security, no apparatus, no moving parts. No grinding down of screw heads, or adding Chapstick in an effort to quieten things no scratchy clunking, locktite, added leverage, springs, ball-bearings, etc.

[​IMG]

I don't fault the teeny buttons all that much.... other than the poor design of a built-in ramp to easily facilitate your strap sliding right off when you bend over to tweak a pedal. They have been with us for many a year - I more fault those teeny baby-man screws that come with them, It's like a planned obsolescence gambit direct from the guitar industry putting those on. And, like I said before sometimes, lock systems come with a screw that is even smaller than the stock button, which is a VERY bad idea.

So, i figured I'd go on and improve a strap button firstly around using a DECENT screw in the first place. On that just feels right, where there are no seeds of doubt in your mind when you are done twisting it in.

My Well-Hung Pro-Pins are milled from solid aluminum and are 18mm (3/4") across they are beautiful bits of kit - Below I compared to typical other stock buttons in the photo (usually about 11-12mm). See the screws that come with the stock buttons on either side? Scary. See how they are too small, and too short? Have a good look at your own stock buttons uninstalled. The shaft hole for the screw is normally a good half millimeter wider, so the mated screw gets to wiggle around inside the channel. This means once your button comes loose even a little bit, you'll suddenly have even more leverage mucking about, all on that little girly screw, then more wiggle, etc.

No need for a crystal ball to predict what happens next:

"Dear internet forum, my strap button pulled out of my guitar, thank GOD I had my hand on the neck at the time. Geez.... I have a gig tonight, what's a solid quick fix?"
    -Randy-Dandy Guitar Player
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Randy, "I am not a luthier, but I play one on the internet," jam a bunch of toothpicks and glue in the hole, screw your button back on, then go melt some faces.
    - Don Erlewine, (Dan's Evil Twin)

Please.

Guitar player life hack: JUST PUT A REAL GOOD BUTTON AND SCREW IN IT FROM DAY ONE, or right now, for crapsake, and not find yourself later wishing you had.

My Well-Hung oversized strap button is milled precisely, the screw sits very snug in the shaft. NO wiggly. No jiggly.

Well-Hung Pro-Pins are also deeper, wider, stronger, more Well-Hung. They are designed to accommodate my own thick leather ends on straps, and easily accept store-bought straps too. Plus, if you REALLY MUST HAVE A BEER GASKET on your pin so you may channel your inner John Mayer-ness or Bonnamassa gear cred direct from from the ether of the universe, you can still do that, but you can also far more confident that pinky/orange gasket won't be just popping off out of nowhere.

Unfortunately I am relatively short on these Pro-pins right now stock-wise but have another set of a couple hundred coming in a few weeks, which are being milled right now, so watch for them in my reverb store.

They really solve so many issues, you won't look back. Guys who have them message me that they LOVE them.

[​IMG]

Strap security option 3...

My Well-Hung Old School Strap Locks. This is my version of the items we used to see cards of at the local music shop. I think I have maybe over-engineered these, but they are very good, and again, another simple solution. One other thing about these, is they give a nice loose feel with the added pivot points. All you guys out there with fancy straps that are three inches too short and on the last run of adjustment? So many of you out there, and you just live with them, because they cost you big dollar - these old school leather strap locks add just enough extra length so you can get off the last loop in your strap tail, which again (as a leather worker) is another scary situation I see all too often.

Well-Hung Strap Masters are built so that no metal will clunk over and ever touch your guitar, it's impossible. Your precious is safe.

[​IMG]

Again, a nice long and strong screw replaces your old button, and your guitar strap goes on the hex inset nipple (you do not need tools to adjust anything, they are pre-tightened). Then, the keeper flap comes around over top your strap tip, and secures your strap onto the nipple. All you need is a Philips driver and you are away.

Quite a good number of these have gone out of my reverb store over the past year, check the reviews on them, they are for real. Plus, I love the word nipple, I and I think you do too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  12. TVvoodoo

Who here among my esteemed fellow TGpee-ers is a gambling man?

I have just completed a design-prototype strap That may eventually make it into my regular offerings. Before I do this I would like a second opinion after some real-world and serious honest use by a fellow guitar man of more professional standing than I.

What I'm offering to the right person is a 3" wide padded ultra-comfortable neck dive-killing guitar strap featuring a striking metallic orange floral pattern and involves plenty of thick black leather. Think of it as a hybrid between a ladder style and hootenanny style strap. It goes from about 47" to about 56" in length.

I am seeking a serious user with an annoying diving guitar who is looking for long play comfort and who wants to believe a better guitar strap may exist. You also have a flair for entertaining gear reviews and will drop one here in this thread, detailing your thoughts after a few weeks or more of serious PRO use. You will also pony up $16 for me to ship my prototype your way.

OFFER OFF THE TABLE - SOMEBODY GRABBED IT

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  13. TVvoodoo

no takers on the virtually free prototype strap? I'll put it up on reverb and sell it for sixty bucks.

Look for Stage King version 3 coming to reverb soon as well.
    2-3/4" wide x 60" of gorgeous padded neck dive killing comfort with quality leather ends.

[​IMG]

As one Stage King owner recently put it in my Reverb feedback:
    "This is the comfiest strap I have ever worn. Not only does it look cool as can be, it makes me feel like the baddest mofo in town."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Bgillon likes this.
  14. TVvoodoo

Turns out "Dan" wants another namesake strap. Can't say no to a loyal customer! Same but different, says he.

Thank goodness for short names

[​IMG]

Figured I'd try some adding wild rose elements this time for kicks and visual interest and will probably stain the whole strap saddle brown except for the inset background which will be black (a reverse of the other one.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  15. TVvoodoo

Been picking away at a barbarian fantasy series since before Christmas I think I'll call "carnivore" or some such...
    Eight here, once I get ten made, I'll release them upon the masses, to commence raping, pillaging, melting faces etc.
    if you are worried about MINT guitars, rivets or metal bits, these are NOT the strap for you

Watch for them on reverb

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  16. TVvoodoo

these just in, a good supply of my Well-Hung Pro-Pins jumbo or oversize guitar strap buttons in sleek, shiny, shmexy aluminiuminum!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The are so very beautiful, I'm gettin' a little misty over here.

[​IMG]

These buttons are super rare material, carved from the very living rock of the cave of Caerbannog. Upon each inscribed in runes are the very last words of Olfin Bedwere of Rheged ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  17. TVvoodoo

Drove to Edmonton the other day take my wife to the airport. I had a dream the night before that I visited a city guitar shop, and took some straps -
    well, it was a crazy dream - Maybe you know the kind.... all my life aspirations realized, fame fortune, etc... so I figured what the hell... let's not ignore that

So, I loaded up a small suitcase with straps and visited Stang Guitars, in the boho/arty part of town, near Whyte Ave.
    Here's some shots for you all, if you get the chance, you should drop by, tell 'em brad from Well-Hung sent ya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joint used to be a motorcycle shop - President Tyler Stang purchased it and he and his dad, a metal fabricator guy, built the stairs and landings inside of this store.
    It seems he went to opposite way of cramped quarters of the place he used to work at (Avenue Guitars), this place inspires agoraphobia -

[​IMG]

He's got new and used Gibsons, Taylor, Fender, Suhr, PRS, Godin, Ernie Ball, hanging on the wall, and he also noted he likes to support "local craftsmen" and was showing some cool locally made teles by dirt road guitars as well. very nice work. Apparently this is like only his third or fourth guitar made for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of variety, quirky things too. I'm not much up on Vintage or Custom Shop prices but there was a good number of those things there, as well as interesting pieces I have never even heard of. He told me he is in a band, and most of his staff are too, and he gives them time off to do road swings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am pleased to say I got to spend some time with Tyler, and he liked my strap work enough to pick up half a dozen to keep in his shop.
    Says he wants to support local craftsmen, I'm not really local, I'm four hours away. Funny thing, he's related to people in my tiny little town.

Next day he messages me with a photo of the newest Well-Hung guy... That smile says he just scored something a helluva lot more
    than just a guitar strap, hey? Shock & Awe #38 is highly functional art.

[​IMG]

Anyway, if you happen to be in or near Edmonton and want to see some Well-Hung Guitar straps in person, Tyler has a number of
    them, and I hope he can move a few and pick up more as they sell down the road.

Oh and look on reverb for these coming later today if I get around to it...

[​IMG]

I gave over a couple complimentary sets of my Well-Hung Pro-Pins, ( oversize strap buttons ) to Tyler, and when one of his staffers, (a guitar tech?) saw them on the counter, he picked up the bag, looked at them, looked back at me with a knowing smile and said... "These are coooooool."

I think he could see the many worries and problems these things can solve in a very simple way for a LOT of guitar people.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Bgillon and R3deemed like this.
  18. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can't see the images, wild man:confused:

19. TVvoodoo

20. TVvoodoo

TEsting, one two three... testing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]