From the Well-Hung StrapLab

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by TVvoodoo, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier Silver Supporting Member

HA HA!
    Can't wait to strap you Fred! What are you doing on this gear forum?
    They are all up about the silver sky and other PRS things around these parts. LOL!

rockinlespaul likes this.
  2. TVvoodoo

Stage King V4, better pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above looks like white or grey, but it is metallic silver - quite striking. The corduroy on the edges wraps around the interior of the strap. Nice anti-dive feature.
    nicely padded, about 3" wide, butchy leather ends. adjusts from about 45-58" or so

3. TVvoodoo

couple new ones went up tonight. probably the red and black/silver versions will go up on sunday or monday.

[​IMG]

Great looking Goldtop gold strap,

[​IMG]

4. TVvoodoo

Ok so underway this morning were three new style Well-Hung Amp'd straps coming soon with the beautiful nutty brown heavy leather ladder back adjustment.
    These in genuine (and rather pricey) old-school Friendly Tweed, (not that cheap vinyl junk you often see).

Ultra padded, with upholstery suede on the inside, 3" wide (not 2" like the ones in the store), with WAY superior bridle leather bits front and back for security and lasting value.
    Here in assembly stage, shown here prior to transfer my sewing station.

[​IMG]

I thought it would be interesting to show... I only noticed when I was about a quarter way into construction (materials cutting, glue-up etc) I had flipped two of the three prior to put-together but at that point there was no turning back. If you look a bit closer than I did when it was in-process, you will see I utilized the INSIDE of the fender tweed fabric as the outside, instead of the normal OUTSIDE as the OUTSIDE for the two on the right.

This is probably a case for me to make sure I do not undertake future strap production prior to my self-prescribed two cup of coffee minimum. Sheesh! Was I still half asleep?

I do not believe there will be any difference in the overall strength or lastiness of these straps and actually... the slightly shinier inside of the fabric has a bit more of a shmexy shine to that is not at all unpleasant. It's just different. I wonder if anyone would even notice unless I pointed it out. Too late now!

Hell, maybe they will become rare collectors items to the lucky owners down the road. Yeah, INSIDE OUT... uh... LEFTY Well-Hung Tweedly-Wheedly Guitar straps,
    yeah, that's the ticket.

[​IMG]

5. TVvoodoo

Grey, metallic silver, black + creme Matrikas now up in my reverb store

[​IMG]

Really fine 3" wide, non-slip, ultra padded

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    voodoorat likes this.
  6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I've been on this forum for a long time. Too long lol. I'm thinking about a nice cool strap in the future to go along with the Blaze Project. I'll talk to you soon!

TVvoodoo likes this.
  7. TVvoodoo

Now I gotta search out Project Blaze?
    Sounds like my first year of college LOL! Got a link?

Strange thing, had a number of custom orders this past week -- just working on a custom order for Ed now, another TGP tribesman (the multi-python, not the Mystic dragon).

[​IMG]

Just about done and ready to ship tomorrow. Completed one for Amy earlier this week (a size small amp'd strap that is going to make her bandmates real jelly.

EL 34 X2, rockinlespaul and R3deemed like this.
  8. TVvoodoo

Experimenting with some simple home-brewed packaging for my oversize strap buttons - Trying to not look too backwoods LOL!

[​IMG]

I'm getting prepped ready to attend my first ever guitar show this fall, figure I'll take thirty or forty pairs plus a set installed on a demo guitar so folks can see and believe. They are just a fantastic sling security option.

You don't have to wait, they's a-settin' there for anyone over in my reverb store. Drop by and have a closer look.

Theorist and R3deemed like this.
  9. TVvoodoo

Some fun things I'm working on this week...
    a set of five Well-Hung Dragon-Eye straps, perhaps for any of you WoW Azeroth dwelling types who strum the lute or whatever

[​IMG]

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
    He was not afraid to die, oh brave Sir Robin!
    He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.
    Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp.
    Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken.
    To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away,
    And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin.

His head smashed in, and his heart cut out,
    And his liver removed, and his bowls unplugged,
    And his nostrils raped, and his bottom burnt off,
    And his peni----
    "That's, that's enough music for now lads, there's dirty work afoot."
    - - - - - -
    Brave Sir Robin ran away.
    ("No!")
    Bravely ran away away.
    ("I didn't!")
    When danger reared it's ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
    ("I never!")
    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and gallantly he chickened out.
    ("You're lying!")
    Swiftly taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat.
    Bravest of the brave, brave Sir Robin!

10. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

Wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Brad for the fantastic Reptilian strap (see post #107) I received in the mail. It's both beautiful and comfortable. The padding is great and the craftsmanship top notch. He took time out from his vacation to fill my special order too. I couldn't be happier with the look and feel, especially with my LP Goldtop and aged white Firebird. Hopefully I can figure out how to post a couple photos very soon.

TVvoodoo and R3deemed like this.
  11. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Brad your straps are looking better all the time. That Gold Top one is very sexy!
    -Frank

TVvoodoo likes this.
  12. TVvoodoo

My regret with that is I don't have a proper goldtop to model it!

13. TVvoodoo

We interrupt your regularly Well-Hung programming for a few shots of bondage and torture of a beat up Hamer Slammer, purely for your refinish fetish purposes, you sick, sick, twisted deplorables.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see a $40 guitar was rather seriously harmed on premises today, but in the absence of plywood or poorly-matched multiple pieces there remains some hope for a full recovery. Still a lot more abrasives required, unfortunately.

NEXT day post, after another half hour of 40 grit action. Feel like I won the damn wood lottery - I'm thinking a Triple Double/Double theme, involving cremes

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:41 PM
  14. TVvoodoo

Sanded off all that nasty sealer, now doing a test on grain filler and tru oil on the headstock

[​IMG]

I may go black headstock so this is a good place for a test run. Used the egg white concoction, and one coat of tru oil... not the worst.

Kind of interesting. Probably do the whole neck this way keep it natural. Body is going to be semi-trans TV yellow meets Mary Kay. Different grain filler though, as an ode to the TGP Pub, probably tinted drywall mud.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 12:18 AM
  15. TVvoodoo

Don't know if anyone cares, but going to continue to document this Slammer project here just for a lark. Something different. Have some strap orders in the background too, this is not more exciting right now, but just a change of scenery I guess. Add a little variety to this thread.

Sanded to 220, got out my handy-dandy pore opening brush, put a light down on the bench and went at it getting prepped for TV Yellow

[​IMG]

Couple nights ago decided in my pre-sleep thinking stage that I've been researching the tv yellow method(s) way too much. Ten different guys have ten different "real and true" methods,
    and even Gibson didn't use the same method all the time. Plus most of the yellow was lacquer aging anyway. A lot of so-called "TV Yellow" finishes don't even show any, or much
    grain at all and are brilliant in-your-face yellow. So, I decided maybe world maybe doesn't really need another TV yellow guitar, but it might be interesting to bring a TV "voodoo" finish (LOL) to the table. The can't-decide-between-paint-and-natural finish is a doghair style, a more solid colour variation of the old limed wood furniture technique as TV Yellow was, but I'm going to do it with a full metallic feel. Still deciding on grain fill flavour. Just something wierd and different. Might suck, might not.

I have painted a test board the same colour, letting it all gas out and settle in before I do my grain fill tests.

[​IMG]

Rattlecan Rustoleum primer/paint metallic called "oil-rubbed bronze" - four very light mist coats, without trying to fill those pores, that'll come later. Can't see it in these pics
    but it has a nice metallic luster too it, under hard light it actually comes alive with teeny sparkles, but, I'll probably wreck a lot of that in my next steps.

[​IMG]

Discovered a nasty wasp nest the size of my head about six feet from where this guitar was hanging. I didn't bother them none, they didn't bother me none.

[​IMG]

Of course I'll probably be making a custom strap for this one too, eventually. Unless I am inclined to sand it down again LOL