Fromel DIG (Death Is Gain) OD-very nice!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alguit, Feb 22, 2012.

1. alguit

alguit Member

Driving up the Garden State Parkway from my gf's, I realized I was 10 minutes from Cranford Music/Prymaxxe, the absolute best store I've ever been to for great pedals.

Stopped in and finally picked up this pedal, the tones of which I've admired for quite some time.

I guess at heart it is an optimized TS, and yes, there's so many out there. But I am really liking this one-it has a full bottom which matches each of my amps perfectly, much less of that TS midrange, a bit more overdrive available, and it just has that "vibe" that one wants, a rich-yet-crisp drive tone that sits one's guitar so nicely in a mix.

It's priced right, too, just under $150.

I already have and enjoy Fromel's "Great Day for Up" and am happy to have added this one to the stable.

-Alan

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I currently have six Fromel pedals...the dude is totally under appreciated here as he has some of the best pedal tuning sensibilities for guitar pedals around. Easily.

I need to pick up a second more current DIG as I have an older version and I want to compare and contrast the two.

Good grab Alan!

3. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Just got the biblical reference!
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philipiians 1:21 Go John! John Fromel operates a shop her in Seattle called Leading Tone. Great guy. A real pleasure to do business with. They have a great guitar tech, too--Michael. Be sure to drop in if you are in town.

http://leadingtoneseattle.com/

4. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the props. I tend not to proselytize and the name change from "Death is Gain" to "DIG" was caused by market confusion.

Death is Gain - as a name implies a very high gain pedal suited to very heavy, heavy serious gain rock/metal.

However the circuit is at best a medium gainer. The name change to DIG is really appropriate. Depending on the heat of your pickups there is a spot on the Gain control where if you pick lightly the tone is clean and clear, as you DIG in the grit comes in. Much like the response of a tube amp on the brink.

To achieve high gain, I prefer to stack my drive pedals into high gain. Currently I have on the board a DIG, Go! PTP, HBOD, and an OCD. That seems to work well for me. I also have a few fuzz pedals on the board, some that I have built and a SkinPimp and Deviltone.

I am un-apologetically a Christian. But I do not express my faith by inserting bible tracks in the packing material of my pedals or quoting Bible verses when I sign the pedals. Christianity, in my opinion is best experienced, and communicated through friendship and relationship. I am not down with fishes on cars, Bible tracks, Televangelists, and on and on... I don't think Jesus Christ would be either.

TGP is about gear, religion and politics should not be part of the discussion. However, my products have been mentioned in this thread and religion is included in the discussion. I hope that the moderators consider my post appropriate.

blue62 likes this.