Front end "FX" pedalboard ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brett Valentine, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Thinking of building a mini board to run in front of my main board (which is mostly gain, compression, reverb, delay, chorus).

Looking for this to be my freakier fx board. Powered with a Pedal Power 2

Everything will be through a loop pedal (maybe an Xotic X-Blender).

Already have a Boss Super Shifter. Was thinking of a Robo Talk (maybe with expression pedal), an Ottava Magus (when it comes out), already have the Analogman Mini Chorus for fast Leslie sounds (might trade it for the one with the mix knob), maybe ending with a clean boost.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

2. aksman

aksman Member

MXR Blue Box or EHX Micro Synth???

3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

4. erksin

erksin Member

FWIW - it's already out.

I have made up a few 'mini boards' - mostly fuzz/treble booster/OD combos - to go in front of my main board or for grab 'n go jam situations where I don't want to haul all of my stuff. It would be cool to have something really compact but versatile that isn't a multi effect (those never do it for me).

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

EHX polychorus. tons of weird sounds.

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

...it would be helpful to know what's on your main board...

Regardless - what about something like the Zvex LoFi Loop Junky?

7. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - that would be helpful.

+1 on the Lo-Fi tip - I'd like one myself, and a Wah Probe too! :BEER

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Here's my current board (smaller, but gets the sound I'm looking for)that is getting the most usage (X-Blender for an Alesis NanoVerb under the second tier). This setup covers all the conventional stuff easily.
    [​IMG]
    Last I heard, Nicholas is gearing up the Magus for full scale production. Like I said, i have the Super Shifter which I use to get that guitar synth tone (also steel pans, 2 8va up whistle).

I was thinking the RoboTalk because it get's that "sample and hold-like bubble thing as well as a controllable envelope when the expression pedal is plugged in.

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I was also considering the LoFi Loop Junky before the RoboTalk along with the Seek Wah or Ooh Wah

10. erksin

erksin Member

It's definitely in full production - I installed pots in 20+ of them tonight!

11. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions. Been checking them out online and will probably go and try them out when I can get a chance.

The MuRF really looks nice, especially with the ability to control the sequencing with tap tempo. If I were just getting one pedal, I'd go that direction with a few extra expression pedals.

Wah Probe's nice too. Any of the Probes are great instruments in themselves.

Concerning the the Blue Box, I think I'm looking more for the octave up fuzz thing. I like the sound of the Super Shifter doing a clean octave down then blending in some O/D.

The nice thing about the Robotalk is that it can do the sample and hold (no tap tempo though), envelope filter, low pass finlter, and with an expression pedal, it will do a sort of "wah" thing with the pedal controlling the envelope (missing a wah on my medium board).

The other issue is trying to keep the size down. This is meant to be a compact board I can put in front of my large board, the medium one in the picture I posted earlier, or a mini board the same size as this one to make up a small modular system. This is what I've got set up so far. The Blue Boy Deluxe does a nice job in warming up the Super Shifter (it takes the edge off of the octave up, getting that warm "Pat Metheny guitar synth" sound), and it can add nice overdrive to the Mini Clone (does a good job of thickening up the "fast Leslie" sound to feel like you're distorting the cabinet's tube amp). All three together can get some interesting effects (with the Super Shifter 2 octaves up, you get a nice warbling whistle). I also have an expression pedal I can use for the Super Shifter when I need it. Used this setup this past weekend. The Power switch is powering everything right now, but that will get replaced by a PP2. As it works out, it is the only buffer into the front end until I get to the Echo Park (not sure about the VibraTrem), so it does help a bit with high end drop off.

The board is cut to fit in one of those $12.00 Home Depot aluminum tool attaché cases with some pillow foam for protection.
    [​IMG]