1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Front or rear mounting of speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by carltonh, Aug 11, 2005.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

I know that some people prefer front or rear mounting for some speakers, but not for others. Is there a predictable effect that one vs. the other will have on perceived tone?

I remember Rivera preferring one way with V30s, but the other way with most other speakers. What is the experience here? Also curious where a person has tried it both ways for particular speakers and has an opinion.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Front-loading gives a more focused, directional tone with a bit more attack; rear-loading a softer, more diffused and open tone.

I don't like V30s in front-loaded cabs usually, they can become extremely beamy and harsh when pushed hard. I generally prefer rear-loaded with all speakers though.

3. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I was actually going to ask this same question, I've been wondering about that, and John (once again), I agree.

My Avatar (V30's up top, front mount) does sound a bit LESS relaxed and a tad more focused than other cabs that are rear mounted.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ordinarily, I'm a big fan of rear-mounting, but when it comes to speakers, front-mounting seems to work best for me...

5. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

lol

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Oh my, I just got it. :D Women, uh, I mean speakers should be mounted every way, but mainly often. :)

7. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

It's fun to swap em out for new ones as often as possible too! Speakers I mean:D

8. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I prefer mixing a couple different types in an X-pattern. Speakers, that is.

9. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Is'nt it more of an issue with closed cabs??????????

that said I do see that traynor puts the 70/80 in front on the ycv40 and the vin30 in back on the ycv40wr!!!

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It's way more interesting if you don't mount the speakers at all.

11. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yes, definitely a vibier sound that way.

My bass player sounds as if the speakers in his cab are not even mounted, yet in reality they are fastened tight. Strange...

:)

12. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

my Buzz Feiten lets me mount both ways, one from the rear, one from the front.

13. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Once again, Johns bang on !!!
    I agree totally.
    Keith:)