1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Frusciante

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Melodic Dreamer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

2. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I love John Frusciantes playing but watching guitar solos outside the context of the song they belong to is boring. I managed to last until half way through number three before exiting.

3. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I really like the guitar lesson video he gives on Dani California. Not so much for the song as I already know how to play it, but of his process and seeing him play it. Some more old school Frusciante from Mother's Milk era:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

All the solos on BSSM are masterpieces IMO. His solo on 'soul to squeeze' in particular is one of the best ever recorded in rock n roll. Quotes the vocal melody...dynamically appropriate...tone is perfect for the tune...subtle, beautiful, and made the tune 10X better.

5. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

6. eoshreds

eoshreds Member

I love that song, but in that video Kiedis is revoltingly bad.

7. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

That solo on Sexy Mexican Maid is sick!

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I listened before reading your post.

Got to agree, at least to some point. Good vocalist, but singer?.....oooh Fine band, nevertheless.

JF- good guitarist/musician but any interview I have read or heard/seen of him indicates a guy whose norms are not normal...again, imo, YMMV etc.

9. Steve73

Steve73 Member

No worries, glad to help. Yeah, they played with a lot of fire back then. Kiedis sounds great in this genre, I mean, that is his thing, rather than the later stuff where he is straight singing.

Flea, John and Chad are just awesome. Subway to Venus is my fav of the two. I fixed the link above so they are embedded.

10. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

His rhythm work really stands out for me... fantastic spitting dirty funk. Those Mothers Milk clips (from SNL?) are awesome.

His solos work for the songs, but they don't make me go "OMFG!" When I first heard Dani California I thought, "cool, someone's digging into Hendrix again." Great solo. Derivative, but great nonetheless.

And I should add, I'd rather listen to a great rhythm player any day than a guy only does solos.

11. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Yeah, I saw them at least three or four times back in the late 80s/early 90s on the Mother's Milk and BSSM tours. Two nights in a small club in Hawaii. It was so hot and Anthony was so active that he needed oxygen on the second night. Of course, that may have coincided with one of his periods of drug use.

Did I see them on the Uplift Mofo tour too? Maybe... I must be getting old. :confused:

People rag on RHCP, particularly Anthony, these days. But they were really cool and unique for their time. Hell, they still are. I still remember hearing Skinny Sweaty Man for this first time. My friend played it for us in our High School band room. Damn, it was mind expanding!

12. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

I've always thought Frusciante was a bit overrated, but this early stuff makes me rethink that a bit. The solo bits were certainly on the innovative side, and, more importantly, sounded good within the context of the song.