frustrated with a brand new acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by hagerty, Feb 24, 2015.

1. hagerty

hagerty Member

a few weeks ago i bought a USED gibson j35- it was perfect, bone nut,saddle and pins upgrade, great set it, was in excellent condition but felt and sounded 'worn in' two weeks ago i let my church borrow it for a guest worship leader (long story), i was leading at at another church so i took my martin 00-db and used that. after church i got a text that my j35 was knocked over and the headstock was broken, but that they were going to buy me a brand new one. i got it 7 days ago, according to the paper work it passed its inspection in late january. its literally brand new, and i hate it. i know it takes time for those things to get broken and whatever, but i dont like playing it. its way too stiff and boring sounding. it feels ok, but just sucks tone wise.

aside from playing it, is there anything else i can do to get it to open up?

2. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

The Tonerite device is good at breaking in guitars.

3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

You can't polish a turd, so they say. If a guitar sounds bad to you then no amount of Toneriting is going to miraculously turn it into a tone monster.
    Sell it and get something that you like from day one.

4. texasdave

texasdave Member

If you hate it, sell it in mint condition. New Gibsons are literally all over the map as instruments go. Not an ideal situation, but don't fight a guitar you hate. You might restring it and spend an hour with it, then play it again the next day and see if it does it for you. Better yet, see if you can exchange it through wherever the church purchased it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Can you not get all the pertinent sales info (receipt, etc) and return the guitar to the dealer?

6. kbraker51

kbraker51 Member

Did you swap out the nut, saddle and pins? Kudos for the church to do you right.

7. davenumber2

davenumber2 Member

What'd they do with the broken one? They could get it fixed. Depending on the break, sometimes the repair is almost unnoticeable and you'd have your guitar that you loved.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Was fixing the one you liked not an option?

9. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

This is what I'm thinking - headstock repairs drop the value quite a bit but I've known most guitars to bounce right back after a well-done repair.

Either way, they should've returned the original one back to you. That's my take on it. Awesome that they took responsibility for it and as already mentioned, maybe you can get the purchase info and just explain you'd like to return it for one that speaks to you more.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

When I bought a Gibson acoustic several years ago, I tried 7 of the same model. They all sounded very different, mostly boring and sterile and took alot of effort to find the one I did. Then I returned it :(

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Get your new guitar set up, perform these mods, and experiment with different strings.

12. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Actually I found your post kind of refreshing. All you usually read are posts touting the glories of this or that new guitar. Its normal, the new toy is always the best. But it is never you who owns a guitar that is not the best of the breed but always the next guy whose guitar is dog.

But I would simply say have a bit of patience. The whole Gibson inconsistency thing is somewhat overblown to the point it has become almost a cliché. Many things impact a guitar after it leaves the factory - how long it has been sitting unplayed, what kind of climate it was transported and stored in and such. Generally it will all even out. Sometimes it just may take a bit longer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  13. hagerty

hagerty Member

i think i can return it, im not sure. its not a bad sound guitar, it just sound sterile and not what i was hoping for. i do have it listed for sale, i dont want to be a jerk about it. with time im sure it will sound good, or to someone else. i just LOVED the other one, it was perfect. like perfect. the church took full responsibility and before i could even ask for their ideal solution they had purchased me a new one, took off all the bone mods, and took the broken on in for repair. they went through insurance on the broken one, so technically they couldnt give it back to me, but i told them to just keep it. im going to see if i can exchange it through our dealer at GC, and just do it locally. if not ill just play it, and set it up again i guess.

thanks for the ideas.

14. aknow

aknow Member

I think you should get a different acoustic. If they don't sound good in the beginning, they usually sound bad in the end. They make bad one's too.

15. hagerty

hagerty Member

so good news. i called the closest guitar center, told them to deal and went up to the store they took the replaced j35 and gave me full price credit, even though we paid with the pro discount. i played a few hummingbirds, a few martins, a j15 and another j35. my wife found the only j45 in the store, once i tuned it up i knew it was the one. i walked out with it for just a few hundred bucks! im so thankful.

16. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I give a guitar a year - sometimes longer - before deciding if it's a keeper. Regardless of how well one plays, it takes a while to learn to coax the guitar to give you its best. It also takes a while to identify the strings - by their gauge and composition - that will help you help it. It also takes a while to find the set up that best matches your technique to the guitar.

17. Jazzydave

So, today a J-45 CS Deluxe I ordered made it to Austin. It looks and feels awesome...and I must say I haven't been impressed with Gibson for several years now. Like the OP, the new J-15 floored me awhile back and got me looking for a 45 style.

This guitar sounds better than average but it's not blowing me away...which reminded me of my Avalon L32c. When I got it, I was disappointed. It was dull. Felt great and was a flawless build...but it just wasn't doing it for me. I toughed it out, played it and played it, and guess what? It needed time to mature! It was new and so is this J-45 that I'm looking at right now.

I'm assuming the first Gibson had some playing time on it, especially considering the mods. So, maybe this is your opportunity to choose your own mods and break it in, yes? Now, we all know there are duds, but it's hard to tell when they're right off the line. Like us, some mature a little more quickly than others. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

True that a boring acoustic may turn great with break-in, but one that sounds great from the get-go just gets better & better. Congrats on finding the J-45 that does it for you. It's a classic for sure.

19. Jazzydave

I can't argue that! Some guitars do come right off the line sounding awesome. This J-45 is already impressive tone wise, so I'm excited to hear it on down the line. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend and do a NGD post. :D

20. hagerty

hagerty Member

I've had a lot of guitars in 14 years of playing. I really
    wanted to live the second j35, but I didn't want to
    fight it and it just didn't have that bloom
    and rich tone. It was worth shelling out some for the j45, I'll be putting to work this weekend.