• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Frustrating guitar? amp? power? issue. Please help.

JackVanPage

I hear this extra sound almost filtery/flangey type sound as shown in the example (especially at the 10 second to 41 second mark which is as far as anyone needs to listen) whenever I play my guitar(s) into an amp that’s overdriving.

Its more noticeable when playing single notes vs chords. It’s not a recording only issue, this is a live in the room issue. This happens when plugged straight into the amp with any of three different guitars each of which have different types of pickups, 4 different amps, and 4 different cabinets of any variation. I’ve tried different cables, different rooms, different power outlets. I cannot figure out what this sound is. It did not used to occur. I’ve only noticed it the past few months as I’ve continued to try to record music. I have previous recordings where the sound did not exist so I know the problem isn't I didn’t notice it before. I tried setting up my one guitar which made no difference. It’s not a sound I feel like living with on all guitar tracks. For health reasons I am not really able to play anywhere besides at my house. Any advice or suggestions?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Just to rule it out, do all of your amps have fresh tubes and recent biasing?

JackVanPage

Just to rule it out, do all of your amps have fresh tubes and recent biasing?
No but I would think the odds of the exact same issue happening to four amps at the exact same time is pretty low. Three of my amps do not require biasing. I am ordering tubes for an amp anyway so maybe we will see.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
You’ve eliminated many of the variables. No drafts or ceiling fans around? That’ll definitely cause a flanking effect. It is Very subtle, so it might actually be happening with my rig but I’d never know it.

JackVanPage

You’ve eliminated many of the variables. No drafts or ceiling fans around? That’ll definitely cause a flanking effect. It is Very subtle, so it might actually be happening with my rig but I’d never know it.
What do you mean by draft? Like air? It happens in live playing not just recording.

JackVanPage

Yes. When air moved between the speaker and your ear it modulates the sound. Try saying “I am iron man” into a fan ;)
Ah ok I think I see what you mean. Good thought! It happens throughout the house, and only with distortion, no fans or AC needed

Shelldigger

When recording you need to make the room dead. It's cheap and cheesy, but I hung some old blankets on the walls. Room is dead as a doornail now. Cleaned up my problem which was similar to yours. (one blanket per wall did the trick)

When you start recording, you begin hearing the little things. Is it possible this is something you just didn't notice before?

Everybody has old blankets in the hall closet, doesn't take long to try it.

Old strings + maybe a pickup that’s too close to the strings ?

Good luck !

Giga
^^^^^^ That would do it too.

Some lighting will cause amps to sound funny as well. I tracked down an odd noise one day, was stumped where it was coming from, then I turned off the light and it quit. It was a CFL bulb.

EDIT: I also understand dimmers can be an issue. I have noticed too, that just some days are better/worse than others with unwanted noise. It's all about the quality of the power you are getting from the electric company and perhaps weather/humidity/who knows the hell what, affecting the power coming into the house. Or so I've been told.

Last edited:

JackVanPage

When recording you need to make the room dead. It's cheap and cheesy, but I hung some old blankets on the walls. Room is dead as a doornail now. Cleaned up my problem which was similar to yours. (one blanket per wall did the trick)

When you start recording, you begin hearing the little things. Is it possible this is something you just didn't notice before?

Everybody has old blankets in the hall closet, doesn't take long to try it.

^^^^^^ That would do it too.

Some lighting will cause amps to sound funny as well. I tracked down an odd noise one day, was stumped where it was coming from, then I turned off the light and it quit. It was a CFL bulb.

EDIT: I also understand dimmers can be an issue. I have noticed too, that just some days are better/worse than others with unwanted noise. It's all about the quality of the power you are getting from the electric company and perhaps weather/humidity/who knows the hell what, affecting the power coming into the house. Or so I've been told.
Unfortunately it's not just a recording issue it's any time I'm playing. And I have recordings where it is not happening so I know it's not just being more observant. I already tried setting up a guitar with new strings and factory specs, no changes. I feel like it's probably a power issue but was hoping for any other insights because I don't know what I can change. The neighbors finished building their house and moved in about the time the issue started happening so I'm hoping it's not that ha.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Unfortunately it's not just a recording issue it's any time I'm playing. And I have recordings where it is not happening so I know it's not just being more observant. I already tried setting up a guitar with new strings and factory specs, no changes. I feel like it's probably a power issue but was hoping for any other insights because I don't know what I can change. The neighbors finished building their house and moved in about the time the issue started happening so I'm hoping it's not that ha.
Have you considered posting in the Amp forum? There are a lot of discussions about audio quality in that sub-forum.

JackVanPage

Have you considered posting in the Amp forum? There are a lot of discussions about audio quality in that sub-forum.
I was debating between that and this forum but went here for the live sound factor and the fact it may be something besides the amp I hadn't thought of. I will probably post over there as well if we are out of ideas over here.

kcprogguitar

Is it possibly a physical issue with your ears? They seem to be the common thread.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
I'm sorry but I don't hear anything in that clip that sounds "flangy" to me. All I hear is a bit of distorton or overdrive, like a buzzing sound in the guitar notes. If I heard that in my own guitar I would immediately suspect too much gain somewhere in my signal chain, or too hot pickups.

Maybe post a clip of a recorded guitar that you say does not have that problem, so I can hear the difference side by side?

Unless you are referring to the very slight variation in the pitch of a held note? There is one spot at 42 seconds where the pitch varies a lot, but it sounded to me like you were deliberatley bending the string. Do you have really big frets and a super tight death grip on the strings?

JackVanPage

Is it possibly a physical issue with your ears? They seem to be the common thread.
It is entirely possible. But other people seem to hear it too. For what that's worth. (Very little I know, humans are weird that way) It's not like I'll stop playing guitar over it but I would prefer not hearing what I'm hearing and if it's something non mental I'd like to figure it out.

JackVanPage

I'm sorry but I don't hear anything in that clip that sounds "flangy" to me. All I hear is a bit of distorton or overdrive, like a buzzing sound in the guitar notes. If I heard that in my own guitar I would immediately suspect too much gain somewhere in my signal chain, or too hot pickups.

Maybe post a clip of a recorded guitar that you say does not have that problem, so I can hear the difference side by side?

Unless you are referring to the very slight variation in the pitch of a held note? There is one spot at 42 seconds where the pitch varies a lot, but it sounded to me like you were deliberatley bending the string. Do you have really big frets and a super tight death grip on the strings?
Flangy could be the wrong word. It's not buzzing that is bothersome to me but more like a mild auto wah or filter when the notes decay. It's not "up in front" of the note it's more "behind" it as the note fades. Man this stuff is hard to describe ha. Listening with headphones seems to help give a more accurate representation of what I mean.

Here is a link for an example where the issue is not happening. Earlier demo with metronome. For similar gain levels of same riff go to 25 to 40 seconds

And yes those bends in pitch and such are intentional and not what I am referring to but thanks for clarifying. I'm playing a faded sg and playing the same way I always have as far as I know with reference to grip.

I appreciate those of you taking the time to listen and reply to a random person on the internet!

Trending Topics