(Frustrating)NGD: Les Paul R8....I need advice.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigfoamfinger, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

So I just received my R8, and what's supposed to be an exciting NGD has me pretty angry. The Reverb listing (from an established seller with previous Custom Shop sales) listed the guitar as "Excellent", which to me means it should be pretty damn clean. This guitar however has markings and chips that were not mentioned in the listing, or shown in the pics for that matter.

Below is the listing text. Note how it says "No Wear". The first 2 pics below are from the listing, showing a small ding on the back side of the guitar: fine, no big deal. It was disclosed in the pic. What the pics DON'T show is the rest of the back of the guitar, which has 2 MORE wood-level dings/chips (See my pics below with circles) What frustrates me is that his listing photos were cropped and conveniently didn't show these additional dings. Also, the top of the guitar has swirl marks around the Bridge area, probably from someone using pliers to adjust, along with various other light surface level scratches. There was also some sticky residue I had to wipe off pretty hard.......Again, "No wear"??? "Almost New"???

To me this isn't Excellent condition, and "No Wear" certainly isn't the case. I have yet to open the pickups to check those. My mistake for trusting a reputable seller I guess. Lesson learned

What do you guys think??

If you are thinking of posting "this is why you don't buy guitars online", please don't

Listing
    "Just a simply amazing instrument. Almost new, includes all case candy.
    Neck = .90 1st fret - 1.00 12th. Chunky C, however much closer to a '59 than a fat '57. Plays easy.
    8.9lbs. No wear.
    Alnico III
    Custom Bucker pickups - very authentic PAF tone."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

If you feel the guitar was misrepresented than contact the seller and ask for a return. If he refuses open up a dispute with Reverb.

3. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Silver Supporting Member

Certainly isn't "no wear." I would probably list as very good condition, yet point out the dings, etc. Perhaps you could ask for a partial refund if it is a keeper, or send it back for a full refund and look for a cleaner one. As is, it does look like a very well cared for vintage '58 Standard. Buying is a frustrating business these days. Good Luck whatever you choose to do.

4. Jett

Jett Supporting Member

Pretty crappy of the seller not to disclose those and would ask them about it and see what they say. Sorry you had a bad NGD, I have had it happen too and either work it out with the seller or enjoy it for what it is. P.S. "this is why you don't buy guitars online". Sorry couldn't help myself.

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I agree that the listing wasn't accurate but how much did you pay for it? That would determine how I felt about the undisclosed damage.

6. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

Were it me... I'd be really angry too. To the point I'd look for a refund. The marks on the top would likely buff out, and "might" fall within the realm of "Excellent". The dings on the back would drop it into the "Good" shape in my book. In either event, if they were undisclosed it'd be a deal breaker. I don't mind, and have battle scarred guitars. My R8 isn't one of them. YMMV of course.

Daren Anderson and xrcdan like this.
  7. bigfoamfinger

$3,050 shipped. However a false ad is a false ad

pete12string, mcuguitar and flysky578 like this.
  8. bigfoamfinger

I agree-- I have battle scarred guitars too, but I knew what I was getting into with those.

Daren Anderson and FFOGG like this.
  9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Absolutely but I'd feel differently if I paid $2,200 than if I paid over $3K.

The damage is minimal but for a guitar that sold for over $3K and was listed as having "no wear" I'd send it back unless I was head over heels in love with it as a player.

10. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

You couldn't see those pliers marks in the listing pics? You only show the back pics, which show the one ding you have circled but not the others. Wording is short & vague, that's always a red flag for me. "No wear" means the frets or the whole guitar?
    I would've passed but now, get your money back.

Hawking likes this.
  11. wetordry

wetordry Member

It's nice, but it's not excellent.
    Bridge post turns?

12. bigfoamfinger

Conveniently dark photos. I messaged for a refund

https://reverb.com/item/25201886-gibson-historic-custom-shop-1958-r8-les-paul-2018-lemonburst

13. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

Yeah, but how much does it weigh? (sorry, couldn't resist)

In all seriousness, he clearly misrepresented it and you should be able to get a full refund, no shipping cost to you, if you want one. Ahh - yes, I see you just did. Good.

14. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Good luck

15. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Link won't show the listing, but good for you sending it back :aok

16. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Reverb will back you up.

17. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

Ask for some money back if you can live with the dings and chips. At the end of the day it’s still beautiful. If they say no I’d totally return it and find yourself another good deal on an r8

Benderp, 27sauce and 67blackcherry like this.
  18. bigfoamfinger

Thanks guys. I messaged the seller to ask for a refund. I'd rather find a Mint condition R8 and for the price I paid for this, they can be found.

How does the return process work for Reverb? Never done it before. Would it be a good idea to loop Reverb in to the situation, even if the seller is cooperative?

Lef T and mcuguitar like this.
  19. grantaustin

grantaustin Member

I would keep it and ask for a $200 or so refund.

Rod, mcuguitar, 27sauce and 3 others like this.
  20. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

Glad you've requested a return/refund, and I hope it works out for you.

Did you check TGP emporium, or the marketplace sections on either of the Les Paul forums, for R8s?

I'd probably look those locations over if I were in the market . . . .