Frustration with new laptop and eleven rack

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jhall, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jhall

jhall Member

I just bought a new Laptop. I have a perfectly fine working core2 duo one that I have My version of Pro tools LE that came with my Eleven rack. I also have the expansion pack installed on my Eleven Rack. I installed my original Pro Tools disk included with my Eleven Rack and all seemed well untill I tried to accsess my Expansion Pack in Pro Tools. Not there!!! So I find that you need to activate it on a new PC so I downloaded the Expansion Pack installer for my new PC. I fire up Pro Tools and it says I need an i-lok to run it!!!
    All I want is what I paid my hard earned money for and not some frustrating software runaround!!! How should I deal with this? Give up and just stick to the old computer?
    Avids site seems to be just a maze of gees to a mere mortal like me.

2. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

You need to have the 11R plugged in and switched on before you can run Pro Tools LE - it uses the hardware as a kind of protection dongle.

3. TheHog107

TheHog107 Member

what do you mean by "need to activate it on a new PC" ???

4. jhall

jhall Member

Yes of course I did have the Eleven rack plugged in.
    It didn't reecognize the Eleven rack as having the expansion pack in it.
    I then downloaded the Eleven Rack Expansion installer onto the new PC. When I installed that, is when this started. I'm at a loss.

5. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

Have you got the drivers installed? If not, Windows won't be able to see that the device is connected, which may be why you're being asked for an iLok. You can download them here.

6. jhall

jhall Member

Yeah they were installed when I installed Pro Tools LE no? I was able to open LE and see the eleven rack just fine in its editor within Pro Tools (sans expansions of course). It's when I installed the "expansion pack installer" that the problem with Pro Tools started and asked for i-lock drivers or some sucn nonsense.

7. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

8. shasha

shasha Member

There are specific 11R drivers that you may need to install for either that version of windows or for the expansion pack. Just go to AVID and get the latest 11R drivers for your OS and try that. The iLok message is complaining about the 11R which acts like the iLok.

It could also require you to uninstall it on the old computer or change the registration with AVID because it's installed on two seperate computers right now. I didn't want to install PT on one computer let alone on two when I had it...licensing confusion was part of the reason, it can be a PITA sometimes.

9. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

So it worked fine until you tried to access this expansion pack thing, and started asking for the "iLock" thing, correct? I do not see it as being any sort of driver issue, but something in the registration with the software.

Have you been able to start a ticket with their support department? Or how about posting in their forums for a possible answer? Maybe someone there has also had this same issue?

10. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

R u using PT 8?? I recieved a free update from PT 8 to PT 10. I did have to go to GC and buy an I-lock. $50.00

11. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

IIRC, Protools 8LE + ERXP is incompatible with IE9...something to do with the registry in Windows 7. So, before you begin installing Protools, you have to uninstall IE9. IE8 is fine.

Can you give more details? Can anybody get a free upgrade from PT 8 to PT 10? If so, how?

12. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Avid sent me an e-mail saying that I had registered my new Eleven rack between to dates that I do not remember. I had no problems except I did go to GC and buy a I-lock for 50.00 dollars. Cheap price to pay for the update from 8 to 10.

13. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I recently upgraded my Laptop and was able to get everything working just fine. Go figure.

Previously, I had Pro Tools 8LE installed on a different PC. With all these types of threads that I've read about 11R + Pro Tools, I thought this might not work. But, I decided to give it a try.

I did have a problem at first but that was my fault. I forgot to un-check IE9 in the Control Panel of Windows 7 before installation which screwed up my registry. So, I had to restore the registry. This is a known incompatibility. I knew about the IE problem, but I spaced out taking care of it before trying to install PT on the new Laptop.

Also, I had to install the PACE anti-piracy update. It prompts for it in the software install and it's free. IRRC, this is tied to the 'i-lok' issue mentioned. But, if you read the install instructions, it sends you to proper website to remedy the issue and there is zero cost involved.

With the PACE software in place and IE9 uninstalled, the whole thing works as it should including the ERXP. I didn't have to pay $$ for any upgrades, crossgrades or anything. Needless to say, I'm happy.