Fryette......anyone heard from them lately??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ebenezer, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I do too. Just makes me think twice about dealing with the company.

2. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

That's hilarious. Because the very first Sig:X I ordered had to go back to the (then) UK distributor, and I got a brand new replacement. The distributor informed me that the first one had some dry joints or poor solder work that meant the preamp signal wasn't getting through to the poweramp.

Makes that joke kind of ironic tbh.

I recorded our album Exegesis with that. I reported a lot of problems with the clean channel, lots of distortion... people advised me to try out a lower gain tube. Tried it. Didn't make a difference. Lost my warranty anyway. Turned out to be a dying rectifier tube causing it. Sold the amp.

Bought another one - a VHT era one - and recorded our album Wires/Dream\Wires with it.

Wasn't digging the tone after a while, sold the amp. Currently using a Diezel, an Orange, and a Fender 5150III 50-watter.

Abram4235 likes this.
  3. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Same here.

While it's pretty poor form to be slow at responding to customer questions when there is technical problems with their product, its even worse when you're accused of lying in a public forum by their staff, and then get told its user error in the most condescending manner. So now I have a really expensive paper weight.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had some problems with bad tubes in my original PS1 and they were responsive, but I guess I'm kinda friends with them, so maybe my experience doesn't count? They do seem to be buried under good ideas that just don't get to market in a timely manner (try and get a Sound City or Aether amp)?

5. Bogner

Bogner Supporting Member

Stop emailing and start calling. Small shops don't sit on a computer, they are working. Give them a call and they will sort you out.

dsmc80, stratzrus and midnightlaundry like this.
  6. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Steve has never been much of a business person. He might design a nice amplifier, but he could use a person to be the face to the public IMO.

7. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I have had great luck with them but agree their email support could use some work. I always call and they pick up and are friendly. Some of the best amps out there too imho.

I’ve had issues with a few other companies lately with email service. I know a lot of it is spam filters but there should be a good way to do it.

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'd never buy anything from them, simply because they don't answer email from their own webform. If Hipshot can answer me in less than a day for something as mundane as a bridge fitting, and Line 6 can respond here (when they shouldn't have to) then why can't Fryette respond to their own web form for a $700+ potential purchase?

Buying it from MF is one thing; but if something goes wrong, I want to know the company will be there to stand behind it, as Mesa, Rivera, and Line 6 have shown me personally.

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I sent them an email last week and haven't heard back from the either. If anyone has a Memphis and doesn't mind opening it up let me know.

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I won’t be able to get to it for a few days, but I might be able to help. What are you hoping to find out?

11. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I've been having a loud hum from my Memphis. It seems to come and go. I tried swapping some tubes and it didn't seem to help. I opened up the amp to check for any loose connections. I found a spade lug that was coming loose near the power section. That didn't seem to help, but while I was in there I noticed two wires coming from (going to) the output transformer that might be backwards. The PCB says "OT Blue" and "OT Brown", but the blue wire is hooked to "OT Brown" and the brown is hooked to "OT Blue". I'm trying to see if other people's amps are like this.

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

OP, have you tried jumpering the effects loop?

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Member

Except if you aren't in the US.

14. dumbell78

dumbell78 Supporting Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Even if you're in the US its not feasible. This is the way of business, I'm sorry but email, social networking, etc aren't going anywhere. They are the way to do business now. If you cannot get with this phenomenon and support what your customer base require in various forms of communication, you need to revisit your strategy. This way of doing business is here to stay and will only evolve even further.

Picking up the phone to get your product serviced was great in 1954, its unacceptable today. The guy sitting in Brooklyn, Sydney, Calcutta, or wherever doesn't want to hear about picking up a phone to get service.

I cant wait for someone like @Husky to make a similar product so I can dump the PSII and no longer support such a company. You want to know what true service is, just read the countless threads alone of John Suhr servicing his customer base here. Yeah sure Fryette is busy and Suhr is what just scratching his ass all day? Please, its a lame excuse! Service your customers that spend good money on your products.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

OK, let me see what I can do.

guitarpkr67 likes this.
  16. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

So, the make or break for you is a cryptic message etched somewhere on a circuit board that you've never actually seen for yourself?

It's probably to much amp for you anyways..

Sethian and la noise like this.
  17. Bogner

Bogner Supporting Member

Viber and WhatsApp are your friend. ;)

18. Bluesful

Bluesful Member

Never heard of that. Will look at it.

Bogner likes this.
  19. Vai81

Vai81 Member

True, but answering support emails works too :)

20. Bogner

Bogner Supporting Member

Obviously not because people have said the emails are going unanswered while others like myself pick up the phone and call and communicate with them. Ideally, yes, it would be great if they would email back. Ideals don't always bring results....lol. ;)

Vai81 likes this.