Fryette......anyone heard from them lately??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ebenezer, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Kent

Kent Member

They make great products.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I emailed about my old Pittbull, took a couple days. I got a reply, seemed fine to me.

stratzrus likes this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

When was that?

4. Guinness Lad

A couple months ago or less.

5. JMMP1

JMMP1 Supporting Member

FWIW, I just sold my PSII..... I held on to my SRL and use it to drive a solid state rack power amp. I found the tone to be very close to the PSII, close enough that I didn’t want to have the added tube replacement costs or what else can go wrong with tube amps to deal with the PSII. If a rack power amp is too big for you, and if you only need mono, there are a number of solid state options available in pedal size formats. The new Seymour Duncan one comes to mind.

dumbell78 likes this.
  6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The only issue for with it is that it's only 8 ohms.

7. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Ha! Not even close. Just when you put it all together. After getting poor response from warranty repair, following the Kickstarter debaucle, and the attitude in various places. I decided to stick with my Wizard MCII 100. The right amount of amp, better build, and fantastic support from the builder himself.

8. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Now everyone is going to email them to see if they get a reply. Adding to the backlog. LOL

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Really? Are you serious?

My Deliverance 120 has been solid as a rock. I wrote (yes, emailed) Fryette asking if I could send it to them to install an effects loop and a relay for the Less/More switch. Heard back from them the next day. I sent them the amp and the mod was done in a week. I'm sure some have had some issues but many of us have had stellar support from the company. Dave (Support) has always been extremely helpful whenever I contacted them.

10. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Absolutely serious. And when I reported my techs findings to them (and I witnessed the tube replacement and all of my problems go away after it) they basically spoke down to me and told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

My experience with them - and many others it seems - has been absolutely the opposite to what you report.

They've burned this bridge anyway. Which is a shame, because I used to basically be a champion of their amps here in the UK scene.

GuitarNorton and ufguy73 like this.
  11. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

they have a very strong tendency, in my experience, to communicate (when they do) in a higly articulate, intelligent, thoughtful manner...that at the same time is quite passively condescending and defensive.

obviously many, many others on here feel very positively about them - and that is honestly great for them.

but its not just one or two others that have been felt treated less so. its not just ‘isolated’ incidents to me.

i believe they remain darlings on here because they offer products that users are extremely keen for (how long have we been chasing the holy grail of high wattage amps at any volume with no sacrifice) and are willing to just accept other potential negative aspects and some owners have not had issues dealing with them like others have.

GuitarNorton likes this.
  12. Guinness Lad

I find it odd that you wouldn't investigate these issues yourself. Maybe you don't want to but as a tube amp owner you should be familiar and comfortable enough with at least switching out the tubes. Do you have people change the light bulbs in your house?

They probably were dismissive of it because having a rectifier crap out doesn't usually behave like this, it's normally on or off. Only two times and probably 30 amps or more do I know for sure that I had an odd ball situation with a rectifier. One time the amp was blowing fuses sometimes, but once the amp was on it would run fine, the other is when I got vibration through the cabinet. In this instance 1/2 of the rectifier was shorted out, the amp sounded pretty normal, maybe only slightly off, but it was functioning with 1/2 the tube working.

When you buy a tube amp which has been shipped 1/2 way around the world and handled by who knows how many people and to what extent it was careful handling I would think you would at least look into some problems on your own.

13. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Funny timing, I had recently watched this Tone Talk and then found this thread. Here he talks about his feelings on servicing Fryette products.

I've been listening to these basically as background music. It is a lot of just guys drinking scotch and telling inside jokes, but there are some gems of info in there too. And it's interesting listening to people that have built successful businesses speak with their guard down.

14. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Recap? Video is down and I don't have four hours to listen anyways - anyways if his opinion is anything other than "I love servicing my products that break" then he should be building more reliable products...

15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i'm def not a spokesperson for fryette.

but, don't be nervous; it'll be fine.
    afaict, it may not be perfect for everyone, but service IS fine for the great majority of fryette players/users.

NB that the above does NOT mean that i simply dismiss the loud complaints, here, out-of-hand; i don't do that unless i've already engaged with or witnessed someone who appears to be loaded-down with unreasonable expectations, while somehow communicating the specific details of their circumstances poorly and/or incompletely.

pj, if you need to talk to someone about your amp, there are knowledgeable folks right here, almost always willing to try to help..... including @support, both within threads and via pm.
    or, you can simply call the shop and leave an actually detailed message (incl. a clear return phone #) if you reach voice-mail.

for those folks requesting support via the web, def read & follow the instructions, leaving nothing missing:

"WARRANTY SERVICE & REPAIR

A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) must be obtained prior to shipping goods to the factory for servicing.

To obtain an RMA Number for warranty service, out of warranty repair or to return a product for servicing, please send an email to support@fryette.com with the following information:

• Full Name
    • Phone number
    • Email address
    • Shipping address (the address to which we will return your repaired unit).
    • Chassis Model Number
    • Serial Number
    • Date of Purchase (only if requesting warranty service)
    • Place of purchase(only if requesting warranty service)
    • Detailed description of issues and symptoms
    Once you have received your RMA number, please pack the unit securely (preferably in the original factory carton) and write the RMA number clearly on the box. Include a letter with the following information:

• RMA Number
    • Return Address (Post Office Boxes are not acceptable)
    • Contact Name
    • Daytime Phone
    • Email address
    • Serial Number
    • Detailed description of issues and symptoms
    • Copy of sales receipt (only if product was purchased new)
    • Special instructions, i.e. Use different return address, Express return delivery, Call with estimate, etc.
    • List of included items, chassis, footswitch, etc.
    ****Do not ship power cords, footswitches or other items unless the service issue relates to them.****

PLEASE INSURE FOR FULL REPLACEMENT COST IN CASE PRODUCT IS DAMAGED OR LOST IN TRANSPORT. SFD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING DAMAGE DUE TO INADEQUATE PACKING. SFD WILL ONLY FILE A SHIPPING DAMAGE CLAIM FOR UNITS ARRIVING IN THE ORIGINAL FACTORY CARTON AND PACKING MATERIAL OR PACKED ACCORDING TO THE SHIPPERS RECOMMENDED PACKING GUIDELINES.

DUE TO PACKAGING GUIDELINES IMPOSED BY VARIOUS SHIPPERS, SFD CANNOT FILE A DAMAGE CLAIM ON AN INADEQUATELY PACKED UNIT THAT ARRIVES DAMAGED. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, HAVE IT PACKED BY A LOCAL SHIPPING OUTLET.

Product returned to the factory must be shipped prepaid. We will not accept COD shipments. In the event that the repair is a bona fide warranty repair, SFD may at its sole discretion elect to return the repaired item free of charge and UPS Ground freight prepaid. Cost for express or overnight service is the responsibility of the purchaser. This includes warranty service.

To reach our Support team, please email:
    support@fryette.com"

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Text bolded by me.

Yes. I wouldn't have used the term "darlings" (Fryette is a builder among several builders whose amps I like) but I do like their amps and am particularly impressed that the Deliverance 120 is a high wattage amp that sounds great at living room volumes but sounds astoundingly good at concert volume.

And no, I have not had the communication issues some have described here. While a preponderance of the posts on this thread have been on one side they only represent a handful of Fryette owners, the vast majority of whom have had positive experiences but probably have no interest in entering this conversation (I can think of several who are TGP members who wisely are saying out of this).

As a final post on this thread all I can suggest is that no matter what tube amp you use that you find a local tech who is competent to resolve minor issues like tube failure if sorting them yourself is not your forte, and if you don't reach Fryette by email, call.

17. splatt

your opinions are yours to believe; i find your interpretation, bolded above, strange.

but no, these "incidents" are not the norm.
    though, afaik, fryette has never really been a TGP "darling"..... whatever the heck that means. though, it's true that a lot of folks clearly love some of the products & etc.

Bobby D likes this.
  18. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I set it up to start at 03:02:28, that's when he talks about service. It should work on YouTube proper.

19. splatt

wow, thanks.....
    that section was great.

twinrider1 likes this.
  20. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Listened to it - I think that is a very nice service policy in concept, but it only holds water if they follow through with responding to service requests, or is one supposed to just blindly put their amp in the mail with no confirmation yea or nay that they know its incoming?

It's hard to make excuses for lack and response and customer services when other *really* busy guys like Dave Friedman or Dr. Z respond to emails and phone calls within minutes and don't make excuses and blame the end user for when things break down.

And regarding the general Fryette being too busy thing that has been mentioned by others in this thread, if one has time to sit and do a podcast for 3.5 hrs, I think one has time to adequately answer service request emails....

GuitarNorton and ericb like this.