Fryette CLX/100 - Is the Graphic EQ a Must?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LPMojoGL, Mar 3, 2012.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

A used Fryette CLX/100 popped up in my neighborhood for $1799.
    I noticed that this particular amp does not have a graphic eq.
    How important is the geq on this amp?
    Is it a must have, like on the Mesa Mark amps?

Any other info on the amp would be most welcome.
    Thanks!

2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

A definite MUST HAVE in my book. I've also owned some Mesa Marks, and yes... it works in a similar fashion, and is just as necessary.

3. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Must? Nah.....you could put one in the loop and still make it footswitchable too.

I had a CLX TopMount combo about 10 years ago or so and it didn't have an EQ....best amp I ever had.......until I got my Sig X Wed.

4. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I had a bunch of 100CLs and a UL100, and after awhile, I realized they just sounded better when I didn't use the graphic. It's useful, sure, but I grew to really just like the tone of the amp with everything on about 6, with the EQ out.

If you aren't afraid of midrange, I'd say don't worry about it if you have a chance to grab one at that price. To my ear, those amps are so well tailored to fit right where they need to be, the EQ isn't necessary. But YMMV - it took me awhile for my own tonal tastes to get out of my then Scoopy McScooperson phase. Now I'm completely addicted to the Fryette woody mids :aok

5. LPMojoGL

Thanks for the resonses.

Polarizing opinions, from must have to not at all. lol
    Figures.
    dm-I do like the mids quite a bit. I tried those settings you provided for the sig:x when I had it. Very nice. I really like the rhythm channel with the wood option engaged.
    I have a mxr graphic 10 that I could use in the loop, I suppose.

brianr0131, that Siggy is a cool amp, congrats!

6. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

I use the EQ soley to slighly shape the lead tone I get out of channel 3. I do not use it at all for channel 2 (my favorite rhythm channel sound on any amp). So it is not a must in my opinion. I do like having it though, so I can accentuate or decentuate a little something here & there. I also don't have mine adjusted further than 2 hash marks in any direction (so I use it subtly).

7. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

This was my experience when I had my CLX too....that channel is just incredible.

Strangley, I love the same channel on my Siggie......has a similar vibe to me. I guess we tend to EQ things the way we like them, so that's probably part of it.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Killer amp even w/o the EQ.

But, if you can get it, do. Myriad timbal and volume adjustment options w/ it.

9. LPMojoGL

Since finding that amp, I've looked at used CLXs and ULs online. The range of price on these is huge. From 1300 to well over 2000.
    I'm gonig to check the amp out and see how I like it. I'm thinking that the UL might be more my thing, and that I would like the eq, to help separate the rhythm and lead channels.
    I sense a new amp in my near future. :)

10. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the VHT's without the eq

11. Wizard of Ozz

Awe... c'mon... who doesn't love a little bit of scooped mids on their lead channel? No room for scooped-mids... is like saying there's no room for jello after a big meal... and everyone knows there's always room for jello!
    :D :D :D

12. Wizard of Ozz

The UL is a killer amp. I'm on my second one, and I'm determined to keep this one. The UL & CLX are really under-valued on the market right now due to simple economics. There are some very killer deals to be had on both of these right now. I like the UL a bit more due to the tighter, more focused voicing of the KT88 power section.