• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fryette Deliverance Series 1 vs 2 : Soundclips

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
Not too long ago I jumped on an old VHT Deliverance 60 in the classifieds. One of those amps I always read about but never had the chance to play. Good lord that amp just opened my eyes to the goodness that is VHT/Fryette. Then an opportunity came up for a series II head from a friend - so I jumped on it too. I know Steve did a little comparison of the two amps on his Malcontents podcast, but I still thought it would be helpful to people to do an A/B video of the two amps. So that's what I've done.

For whatever it's worth, my take is this: the series 1 is voiced a little leaner and more aggressive and leans a but more "metal" to me. It has an upper mid emphasis. The series 2 is a little more hard rock/rock, fatter and fuller with more harmonic content. Both are wonderful and far more similar than different. The biggest difference is the amount of gain in "less" mode: series 1 has a ton more gain, where on the series 2 it's dialed back quite a bit which lets you dial in more shades of lower gain tones. I do think there is something really special about the series 2 in "more" mode - it is very rich sounding and almost sounds like layered guitar tracks.

Guys in the band rarely care what amp I bring to practice, but they unanimously agreed that the Deliverance makes our band sound better than ever. They are not guitar nerds but they were the ones talking about "Hifi clarity" and "note separation" in the Deliverance amps which really made me laugh.

I set these two amps up differently to get the best out of them, but I did a few of the A/B clips with the exact same settings so guys could hear the inherent differences between the two.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I had a version 1 back in the day. At first I didn't like it. Its had a clarity and attack that is somewhat Hiwattish. Which I wasn't used too. Then it grew on me. But man was that a loud amp.

Great video. I liked version II based on the Less side of it being a bit more manageable. But most don't buy VHT/Fryette for cleans.

support

Not too long ago I jumped on an old VHT Deliverance 60 in the classifieds. One of those amps I always read about but never had the chance to play. Good lord that amp just opened my eyes to the goodness that is VHT/Fryette. Then an opportunity came up for a series II head from a friend - so I jumped on it too. I know Steve did a little comparison of the two amps on his Malcontents podcast, but I still thought it would be helpful to people to do an A/B video of the two amps. So that's what I've done.

For whatever it's worth, my take is this: the series 1 is voiced a little leaner and more aggressive and leans a but more "metal" to me. It has an upper mid emphasis. The series 2 is a little more hard rock/rock, fatter and fuller with more harmonic content. Both are wonderful and far more similar than different. The biggest difference is the amount of gain in "less" mode: series 1 has a ton more gain, where on the series 2 it's dialed back quite a bit which lets you dial in more shades of lower gain tones. I do think there is something really special about the series 2 in "more" mode - it is very rich sounding and almost sounds like layered guitar tracks.

Guys in the band rarely care what amp I bring to practice, but they unanimously agreed that the Deliverance makes our band sound better than ever. They are not guitar nerds but they were the ones talking about "Hifi clarity" and "note separation" in the Deliverance amps which really made me laugh.

I set these two amps up differently to get the best out of them, but I did a few of the A/B clips with the exact same settings so guys could hear the inherent differences between the two.

Great job. You pretty much nailed it :aok

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
very nice! I had one with the choke and loved it. I keep trying to track down the specific amp, but no luck so far.

Have to be honest, I don't even know what a choke does.

Are the one without a choke different sounding?

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Have to be honest, I don't even know what a choke does.

Are the one without a choke different sounding?

It’s not so much a sound thing as a feel thing. I couldn’t tell you exact what a choke does, but I had a a VHT and a Fryette, with and w/o the choke, and they definitely felt different. The old VHT didn’t seem to saturate in the way that the newer ones do. They had more of that classic Pittbull sound (but still very different to that series of amps).

Kelly

It’s not so much a sound thing as a feel thing. I couldn’t tell you exact what a choke does, but I had a a VHT and a Fryette, with and w/o the choke, and they definitely felt different. The old VHT didn’t seem to saturate in the way that the newer ones do. They had more of that classic Pittbull sound (but still very different to that series of amps).
Theyve also used different preamp tubes over the years, which could account for some differences.

Mt.Abraxas

Awesome. I had one of these about a decade ago and it's one of the best high gain tones I'd ever heard. These things punch!!

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Theyve also used different preamp tubes over the years, which could account for some differences.

Definitely! I will say, both of mine had the same set stock, and we’re about 15 years apart. I did replace the pre tubes on my Fryette, and made a large difference. I actually lost a bunch of gain because of my tube selection, but gained a sweetness to the sound.

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely! I will say, both of mine had the same set stock, and we’re about 15 years apart. I did replace the pre tubes on my Fryette, and made a large difference. I actually lost a bunch of gain because of my tube selection, but gained a sweetness to the sound.

NOS preamp tubes? Haven't gone down that rabbit hole with these amps yet....might be worth trying....

SgtThump

Not able to listen to the clip right now, but I had a Deliverance when they first came out and what a monster amp! They didn't have effects loops at the time and I couldn't get over that, so I sold it. But man, what a smoking, awesome, super killer freaking amp! I'd love to have one again, but don't really have a good need.

Kelly

NOS preamp tubes? Haven't gone down that rabbit hole with these amps yet....might be worth trying....
I went down the nos rabbit hole, wasn’t worth it. I went back to Chinese pres in every spot but v1, which currently has a reissue Tung Sol.

I went down the nos rabbit hole, wasn’t worth it. I went back to Chinese pres in every spot but v1, which currently has a reissue Tung Sol.

Yes, I tried a buch, but NOS Long PLate tubes add a lot of richness that the amp really doesn't need and tends to cloud up the attack and clarity. I too went back to the Chinese. I do have a Buggle Boy AT7 in the Phase Driver spot though.. :p

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member

I didn’t do the NOS thing. In fact, I didn’t quite mean to do it in the first place. I just ordered whatever fit, and lived with it lol.

Yes, I tried a buch, but NOS Long PLate tubes add a lot of richness that the amp really doesn't need and tends to cloud up the attack and clarity. I too went back to the Chinese. I do have a Buggle Boy AT7 in the Phase Driver spot though.. :p

Just checking in to say I flip flopped again with an Ei in V1 and the Bugle Boy still in V5 LOL
All Chinese seem a bit harsh today..
Thanks for tuning in..

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
Great comparison! I have the old 120 and 120 II, and I find them pretty much capable of doing exactly what the other is doing, with the exception of the II having the footswitchable gain stage, which is really just a game changer.

BTW .... Awesome selection of songs to showcase the rhythm tones of the D. Loved your vid.

6VF5Z0c.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom