Fryette Introduces the Power Station

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Dec 19, 2014.

1. WWW

WWW Member

I always assumed that feedback was caused by putting the pickups too close to the speakers, rather than the amp itself. (although the amp is normally very close to the speakers) The same happens with PA systems when you point the mic toward the speakers.

This stuff is pretty elementary. Don't point your pickups toward the speakers. (unless you want feedback)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. WWW

WWW Member

Also, with the strat middle position issue, that's one of the selections that are not noise cancelling, and possibly the area with the least string tension, prone to vibration. Vibrations cause feedback at high volume, and that could be the culprit.

3. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

This makes no sense to me, because the squealing happens even when I’m not playing. I’d understand feedback if I were playing loud that close to the unit. But it happens with the strings muted.

4. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

This is regular-old microphonic feedback. Would happen without the power station with the amp at the same setting. Your pickups have bits in them that vibrate near the amp transformer. You can either wax pot or repot your pickups if they are potted, stand further from the amp, or get really good at turning the volume down on your guitar when you aren’t making a note. Really has nothing to do with the power station and more to do with the amp being wound up more than normal.

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

yup.
    (i'm not addressing the FX-loop thing, here.)

barring the high feedback/heterodyning caused by any poorly isolated, underpowered &/or ungrounded power-source used within the whole of the guitar-amp setup, magnetic pickups can & do squeal:
    at high volume &/or gain,
    in close proximity to the cab,
    in close proximity to the amp &
    especially in close proximity to both the cab & to the amp's transformers (& speakers!, i.e.: interruptive/interactive magnetic fields) when at high gain and/or volume.

hell, if you're into it:
    that kind of nasty "transformer" squalling can actually be manipulated/played, but NB that real control over the final volume will be needed to help protect your hearing enough to actually practise the techniques.

also? when such feedback proximity-based, your guitar's tone-ctrls work well, too, as should..... walking away from it.

stephen sawall and GaryMcT like this.
  6. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

I have both the PS2 and Rock Crusher. They will feedback If you get the guitar too close to either one. PS might be a little more senitive but not much. As long as you are at least 3 feet away or more then its a non issue.

The problem I have with the PS2 is that its way too Bassy, fizzy and Gainy all at the same time I’ve fooled around with all the settings for few weeks now and believe I will need to send it back. Its as if the load is sending way too much signal to the power amp. I say this because if I use the line out of the Rockcrusher and send to the PS (to use the PS just as a power amp) it sounds great. In this configuration even with the line out level pegged on the Rockcrusher to the PS, the overall volume was measured at 10db less than the PS using its own load. Again, Plain and simple, the signal from the PS load is overloading its power amp. Going to need to contact support and send back.

7. splatt

yes, neither of mine has done that; neither are fizzy, bassy nor somehow "gainy".

below, i'm only trying to discuss the situation when you're sending your amp to the PS.

which amp are you using?
    which PS input are you using from your amp's output?
    (you are using speaker-cable for your amp's-out & for the PS's amp-out, right?)
    nothing's in the loop, right?
    are you matching input and output impedances correctly, i.e. PS input to source & PS output to destination?
    can you take a decent phone pic of front & back panel of the PS & your amp, while it's all wired, and post it here?

8. support

support Member

The only way you can overload the power amp in the PS is to turn the PS volume up to the point of saturation - IOW, to it's full 50W output. With a 100W amp connected and running at full output, you'd have to turn the PS up to about 10 o'clock to do that with the front panel level switch in the out (LO) position. What amp are you using and how is it set?

GaryMcT likes this.
  9. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

splatt

Settings on PS are the same for both examples below.
    inpult level set to High, PS Volume set to about 8:30, presence and depth on 12:00. Tried all combinations of the Brite and Warm and while they make a difference, its very subtle.

Example 1: 74 super lead to PS amp in~~PS speaker out to Marshall 4x12

Example 2: 74 super lead to RC amp in~~RC line out to PS line in~~PS speaker out to Marshall 4x12

Results

Example 2 (Which is using RC as the load and PS as a power amp only) Produces nice woody, mid focused tone that resembles the Main character of the amp

Example 1 ( Which is the standard way to use the PS, load and power amp) produces very Bassy, Fizzy and loud results (10db louder than example 2) even with line out pot dimed on the RC.

10. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Support

Thank you for your interest and help. Perhaps the word “overload” should have been clarified. I meant overloaded in comparrison to the signal the PS Power Amp is receiving from example 2 in my previous post. I know ther PS shouldn’t sound the way I have described because I’ve heard it sound wonderfully woody and middy (some German guy has a you tube video that sounds awesome). I’m simply stating that it appears the Power Amp of the PS seems to be getting hit with too big of a signal from the load (amp in). Is it possible that one of the components that create reactive the load from the amp in is not working 100%. It really seems that is the case.

11. splatt

examples 1 & 2 use different signal paths, so..... if example 1 is 10dB too loud, you'd simply turn it down.

i don't think it should be overly bass, fizzy & gains, though; shouldn't be anything like that.

buuuuuuut:
    in example 1, where are presence & depth set? fully counter-clockwise is "flat", there.

also, dave's here, so @support.

12. splatt

13. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Splatt

I’m using live Wire elite 12 gage speaker cables. Running the Super Lead volume at 3 to 6 depending on the tune.

14. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Splatt

The reason I used the the Rockcrusher as a load was to sort why and where the bassy/fizzy/loud assement was coming from. The poweramp of the PS sounds great with the RC as the load. This is my reasoning for highlighting the load section of the PS as the culprit.

15. splatt

i got that the PS volume was at about 830.
    but, where were presence & depth set, on the PS? (for example 1)

16. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Splatt

Both set at 12:00 as stated above, both examples were at the exact same settings on the PS. Regardless, the sound characteristics I outlined are way more dominated by the load of the PS than any other setting could ever achieve. That fact was proven by the comparrison.

17. splatt

ah, ok.
    like i said: your examples 1 & 2 would NOT be the same volume just because the PS's volume-ctrl is set the same: different signal paths are engaged, fed by different devices, so.
    anyway, do try turning the PS volume down a bit for example 1, presence & depth "off" (fully ccw), switches to flat.

i might be getting in dave's way, now, so i'll back out again.
    you should probably answer his specific questions in post #3128, 'cuz he knows more than i do!

18. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Splatt

The point for stating the volume increase and tonal differences was to show that even with the RC line out set to Max output, its hitting the Power Amp of the PS with 10db less signal. This is for comparrison purposes only, I know that I can set the volume to taste. Its just to show the fact that I believe the Load level from the PS to its power amp is too high and might be causing the tonal issues. I could be totally wrong.....All I know is that my tone using the PS sounds nothing like the PS on this video below. But when I use the RC as a load and the PS as power amp it sounds very similar.

19. splatt

hey, yeah.....
    i don't need to listen to that guy in order to know how the PS should work; just wanna figure out your problem!
    it would be better to see and hear your set-up; that would help!
    a simple video on your phone --- showing the setup, cabling, and a couple of minutes of the problem --- might let someone like @support get a clue.
    either that, or maybe go to the fryette website and use the form to request a return authorization?

anyway, i'm off to gigs across the atlantic.; if there's wifi on the plane, i'll check in.
    but i do think you should continue in earnest with @support, via email or phone etc.

GaryMcT likes this.
  20. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member