Fryette Introduces the Power Station

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I know it's off topic but those couple of quick chords you played sounded epic.

Uncle Mike likes this.
  2. JimGtr

JimGtr Gold Supporting Member

I know, right? :) Thanks, I'm loving this guitar/amp combo.

Bluesful likes this.
  3. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

The Power Station is taking the place of your speaker load. Try just hooking up your amp at that same volume level with your guitar full up and placing the guitar in front of your speaker. Your speaker is not parallel to your guitar's pickups like the Power Station is. In general even without the squeal, standing that close to the electronics will turn your guitar into a Geiger counter for noise, hum and interference. Also the Brite and Edge settings can add more high end that your amp might have without those settings. Did you have the Brite or Edge engaged? Did the squeal stop if you set the voicing switch to Flat?

The results will vary with different guitars and pickup systems. The fact that the noise happens and will stop if you turn off your guitar is demonstrating that you're instrument is also part of the problem. Most of my guitars will squeal. My hybrid Taylor T5 will not as that is an active pickup system and those pickups seem to work a bit differently than my regular single coils. I will get low end noise but no squeal. Same if I use my acoustic under saddle pickup. There is no squeal because those pickups work in a different way than a typical electric guitar pickup.

splatt, fiveightandten and Jerrod like this.
  4. JimGtr

Well hot damn, you're right :)

So I went further. I put the PS back inline and and separated the three components (amp, speaker, PS). When I'm up against the speaker, as above, it squeals. When I get the guitar close to the transformer of the amp, it also squeals (at a different pitch). When I get the guitar close to the PS, it squeals at yet a different pitch. Ironically the PS was by far the least offender (probably because the volume was lower).

With three pitches at my disposal I can write a song. Maybe I'll call it Eviction Notice since I did all this in an apartment haha.

I was going try rolling preamp tubes in the amp and the PS, but after noticing it happening with the amp only when I got near the transformer I'm now thinking there's no point in that.

The other thing I discovered which is actually very useful to me is the orientation of the guitar makes a big difference. With the face of the guitar pointing at the source (speaker or amp) it squealed. But if I turned the guitar perpendicular and even backwards, I could get as close as I wanted with no squeal. I even had the pickups touching the side of the amp head on the transformer side. Hopefully that'll be true in other venues because this I can control. Made all the troubleshooting worthwhile.

So at least now I know for sure it's not a PS issue. It just is what it is. Probably the first time in my life I've had a big amp opened up that much (surprising considering how long I've been playing heh).

Thanks for the feedback, cochese!

splatt, GaryMcT and Bluesful like this.
  5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Anyone here used 4-cable method between a power stationed amp and a boss es-8? If so, I have ground loop questions.

6. JimGtr

Not with an ES-8 but I do use the 4-cable method and dealt with and solved ground loop issues in my rig.

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Sure thing. For older players like myself that started out playing a double stack at full volume, feedback was a way of life. I had a 1970 Marshall 100 bass head. The 100 watt lead heads of that era would always squeal when you turned up the presence at loud volumes. Of course you weren't exactly playing through a guitar amp, more like a guitar PA. o_O

Tonal Comfort and JimGtr like this.
  8. GaryMcT

Where did you deal with the ground loop for yours?

I’ve managed to solve a ground loop if I use the Suhr reactive load as the load with the power station as a power amp, but I haven’t managed to be able to use the power station load and its own power amp together.

9. GaryMcT

Figured it out! Had to use the stage bug to isolate the ground going from the volume loop send to the amp input.

:D

JimGtr likes this.
  10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

@JimGtr

i think you'll find a pretty clear "arc of badness" somewhere in the vicinity of either of the 2 power section x-formers, if you look..... but, don't look.
    ha!
    personally, i don't put the PS on top of my amp-head; i play unpotted pickups that are direct-mounted, so..... i would experience larger regions of badness than most folks, or higher sensitivity, if i kept the PS a) close to my pickups, and/or b) on top of/adjacent to another amp's power section.

GuitarNorton, JimGtr and GaryMcT like this.
  11. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hey, @JimGtr:

i just realised that you were plugged into your pedalboard, right, with pedals "off"?
    but, nothing was plugged into the PS's loop, right?

if so, well.....
    i wonder what would happen if you plugged-in as above, find the nasty feedback position, muted the guitar-strings & then rolled your volume-ctrl up & down quickly, and slowly.
    just wondering, though. no big deal, and i'm not sure when i'll be back here, so.

GaryMcT likes this.
  12. JimGtr

Hmm, intrigued. Yea I'll try that next chance I get.

13. JimGtr

GaryMcT likes this.
  14. Bluesful

15. temple12

temple12 Silver Supporting Member

Hi Bluesful... do you know which version you have?

16. JimGtr

*IF* the 1/4" side is TRS *AND* you use a balanced cable on that side. I think you'd be better off with something like this which is similar to what I use: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BPBQXM5

If you're using one of the very early Power Stations make sure you short the speaker out (?), which I think is why @temple12 was asking about your version.

ripgtr likes this.
  17. Bluesful

My PS is an early V1 - so I'm getting it modded to enable silent recording.

Awesome - thanks for that link, looks like exactly what I need - 1/4" from the PS to XLR into my interface.

Another question - if I'm silently recording with an amp and my PS, does the PS need to be plugged in and turned on?

Appreciate the assistance lads.

18. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

The output of the PS in unbalanced, just tip and sleeve (ground) and the trs jack is 2 signal lines and a ground. Many trs inputs can sense that the one input is not a signal but has been grounded, if you hook a non balanced to it, but you should check the manual. My old Multiface had 1/4 inch jack for inputs, they were balanced TRS, but plugging in a mono jack was fine.
    Also check the input doesn't take both. The inputs on my UFX have TRS and 1/4 jack combo inputs, these are common on a lot of gear. In that cause, just use a regular guitar cable.
    What interface is it? It would be less common that it wouldn't have Any 1/4 jacks that support unbalanced line in.

Also what @JimGtr said - even with the volume down, you need something in that plug on the ps1 - a shorting jack is one option, there are others.

19. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Early V1, yes. It hasn't been an issue for me.

20. Bluesful

Steinberg UR12.

It has a 1/4" input, but I assumed I'd be better using the XLR input.