Fryette Introduces the Power Station

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Steinberg UR12.

It has a 1/4" input, but I assumed I'd be better using the XLR input.

2. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Ok, that only has one 1/4" in and it is hi impedance so nogo.

On the mic input, first, make sure phantom power (48v) is OFF when you hook it up.

Without getting into the technical aspects of unbalanced to balanced, using the cable Jimgtr pointed to should work.

Bluesful likes this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks mate. Appreciate that.

4. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you use the PS2 as a reactive load off the amp, then send the signal through headphones for silent practice?

5. john l

john l Member

Without a cab simulator it would sound awful. I just ordered a two notes CAB to use for in this way for direct recording and will post back with results.

LaughinBones likes this.
  6. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

That's what the Power Load is for :)

LaughinBones likes this.
  7. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Would you say any reactive load will sound bad without a cab simulator, or just in this case? I'm very new to the subject, thanks for your help!

8. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

I saw that, and it looks perfect, but the other things the Power Station does are also very attractive to me, so I was hoping those features of the Power Load would overlap with the PS2.

9. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

Get something like the AMT Pangaea and you're ready to go. Works fine with the ps2. No need for the power load

LaughinBones likes this.
  10. MasterEvan07

I understand. Presently the PS2 can't do everything despite being able to do a lot. Live I'll probably use a PL and PS2 simultaneously so I can have an ideal stage volume via the PS2 and a sort of double-tracked guitar by sending the PL's Cab + Mic sim to house in tandem with a mic'd cab.

As long as you have an IR or some kind of sim you can shape the raw signal from the PS2.

LaughinBones likes this.
  11. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

So do all reactive loads (PS2, Suhr Reactive Load) require an additional IR or cab sim to sound right? I thought a reactive load (as opposed to a resistive load) was designed to mimic the feel of a speaker. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

They mimic the load and feel of the speaker, but don't apply any of the filtering that happens with a speaker (unless they specifically indicate that they do.)

LaughinBones likes this.
  13. MasterEvan07

My understanding is that a reactive load responds most like a speaker. Not all load boxes are reactive as there's passive, resistive, and reactive loads. Without something to shape the final sound of the output (i.e. speaker and cabinet) then you're just left with the raw signal which sounds fuzzy and fizzy.

Neither the Fryette Power Station or the Suhr Reactive Load have cab sims. The Power Load and GPDI both have a Cab + Mic sim, with the PL having an additional mid control.

Ultimately, whatever you choose, you will indeed need something to shape the final sound into recognizable and familiar tones.

LaughinBones likes this.
  14. JimGtr

JimGtr Gold Supporting Member

@LaughinBones there are two things that affect how an amp sounds through a speaker.

One is the sound of the speaker itself, and is what you'd expect. The speaker filters many harsh frequencies, and, adds a color of it own (similar to how a microphone would). Without a speaker or speaker sim your amp would sound fizzy and harsh.

The other variable is the way your amp responds to the speaker.

An amp needs to see a load on the speaker output: 16 Ohms for example. A resistive load does just that, it puts a 16 Ohm load on the amp. But unlike a resistive load, the load a real speaker actually produces will vary -- the actual load is much higher at lower frequencies, lower in the mids, and much higher again at the higher frequencies. Like a smiley face curve. The amount the load changes varies by frequency and the amount it varies is slightly different among different speaker types.

When the load varies like this the amp responds differently. The amp sounds different when the impedance is higher than when it is lower. This has nothing to do with the sound of the speaker, it's actually the sound of the amp changing in response to varying loads. Some amps are more affected by this varying load than others.

So reactive loads, like that in the Power Station, mimic the impedance curve that the speaker produces which in turn allows the amp to react the same way that it would when a real speaker it attached. The switches on the Power Station allow you to shape that impedance curve, just like different types of speakers will have different curves.

So a speaker simulator simulates the sound of the speaker itself. The reactive load actually affects the sound of the amp.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Incredible, thanks for the explanation!

JimGtr likes this.
  16. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

Side question: if I wanted to run my tube preamps into the PS2 then on to a speaker, would that work without an extra piece of gear?

Also, does the PS2 work with ~120w amps?

Thanks again.

17. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

The PS can serve as a power amplifier for your tube pre-amps. No other equipment needed (other than a speaker cab and the cables to connect everything).

The PS2 has the following max wattage ratings for the "amp in"/reactive load section:
    200W @ 2, 4 or 16 Ohms
    150W @ 8 Ohms

LaughinBones likes this.
  18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Already been answered, but assuming you only want 'mono' then yes. Most of my preamps are stereo and I LOVE using them in stereo, but mono is always way more practical. :) Eric

19. Chris Milne

Chris Milne Member

I just got my power station 2. How do I silently record with a preamp...getting some power amp mojo as part of the output? It doesn’t seem possible which was part of the reason I bought it. I didn’t realize the ps was supposed to be off during silent use, so it can only pass on an amps power section sound not its own. I guess the only way to do this is to take my rack preamp out to a heads fx return in then run that through the power station??

I also wanted to do some Kemper profiling the same way (silently).

20. cochese

cochese Member

There is a self attenuation procedure.

fiveightandten likes this.