Fryette Introduces the Power Station

Stone Driver

Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone heard any timeline estimates on when the Power Stations will be available for purchase again from Fryette? Thanks!

Blitzie

you're tagging an unknown address, there, fwiw; if they didn't 'get back to you', that could be why.
try tagging @support , or sending a message/email/phone-call to fryette, etc.

but:
so this only occurs with the PS involved, not without, given the rest of the signal-chain is the same?

maybe list the exact & complete signal-chain here --- including pedals, power supplies & types --- describing the problem as it occurs, in order of events.
any demonstrative pics &/or recordings?

I emailed their support address as well. Twice.

ESP with EMG into TS808 mini into front of Mesa 50 caliber plus. Power Station with Flashback delay and MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of the Power Station. No clips, sorry. I have a One-spot power supply that I haven't had trouble with before into a (presumably) grounded power strip.

Does NOT go away with guitar volume off.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member

ESP with EMG into TS808 mini into front of Mesa 50 caliber plus. Power Station with Flashback delay and MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of the Power Station. No clips, sorry. I have a One-spot power supply that I haven't had trouble with before into a (presumably) grounded power strip.

when did you email support?

does this only occur when you use the PS?

emg's are passive or active?

did you flip the ground switch on the PS, itself?

what is being powered by the One-Spot --- every pedal..... even incl. the AC-powered 18v MXR???

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Anyone hear anything about how long Fryette is going to be out of stock on the power station?

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member

If the one-spot is powering the pedals in front of your amp and the pedals in the PS's loop, the floating ground that the one-spot uses is creating a ground loop. Known issue. Either use a separate
one spot for the pedals in the loop or get a power supply with isolated outputs.

Blitzie

when did you email support?

does this only occur when you use the PS?

emg's are passive or active?

did you flip the ground switch on the PS, itself?

what is being powered by the One-Spot --- every pedal..... even incl. the AC-powered 18v MXR???

I emailed them about two weeks ago and again about 7 days ago. Yes, only when the Power Station is on. Active pickups. I did flip the ground switch and it didn't help. Yes, all the pedals are powered with the One-Spot.

Also, the DB boost on the back of the PS doesn't work. I get more volume for a second or so and then it returns to the previous volume.

If the one-spot is powering the pedals in front of your amp and the pedals in the PS's loop, the floating ground that the one-spot uses is creating a ground loop. Known issue. Either use a separate
one spot for the pedals in the loop or get a power supply with isolated outputs.

Good thought. Will try that out.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I have to say that the Power Station was one of my two best purchases of 2015. No problems other than a fuse swap.

It works so well with any tube amp. High power amps get attenuated, low power amps get more headroom. State of the art effects loop added for any vintage amp that doesn't have one.

I love this thing.

mmarchi21

Regarding the squeal issue I also had this problem with a few of my 100W heads when turned way up. The ground button did not help and I did have a ground loop issue. I fixed it by getting a separate isolated power conditioner strip (Furman) and a Walrus isolated power strip for my pedal board (which goes into the Furman). Issue went away. I can now run my amps with the volume pretty high and the squal disappeared.

Separate from this I've emailed support@fryette.com a few times in the past week with zero response also.

Mike

Jason_77

I have to say that the Power Station was one of my two best purchases of 2015.

Same here, but for me it was THE best purchase of the year. The unanticipated side effect has been buying more effects because they're more useful in a loop that comes after the amp itself. I even bought a Neo Mini Vent and that's saying something because I don't usually spend that much on pedals! But it sounds so good in the PS' loop.

Dave_C

IMHO, any system is only as good as it's weakest link. I've tried different speaker cables over the years and found that short Monster and Van Damme cables work well for me. Good quality at a reasonable price, which should last as long as I'll ever need them

Careful with Monster. I had two in a row fail on me at gigs which almost destroyed my amp both times. Did some research at the time and found a lot of other people reporting the same issue. They may have fixed the issues since then but I'll never own another Monster myself.

OverDrivenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like Fryette support are dropping the ball a bit here. I'm hoping they are just swamped at the moment with fulfilling orders and with the aftermath of NAMM. Hope they come through for you guys who have sent them messages regarding issues with the PS. I'm looking forward to buying one either from someone on here or brand new when they are in stock again, but before I do that I am looking forward to seeing how they handle these user's issues. Might make all the difference on my decision.

thelionsden

FYI I had a high frequency oscillation/feedback loop when using the power station with a certain Marshall. At first I thought it might be the amp, because I didn't hear it with another amp i tried. But this amp (71 Marshall) just has a high frequency response and that revealed the problem. I took the amp to my tech and he said nothing wrong with the amp.

I had to work my way through one thing at a time in my rig to figure it out. Keep adding things until the problem starts or remove things until it stops. I tried lifting all the grounds on power cables/removing power supplies one at at time etc.

Interestingly, my ground loop was not in the audio path per se. I was using a custom footswitch I got from thisoneismyne a few years ago to control tap tempo remotely on both my Eventide Time Factor and Mod Factor simultaneously. Since the Modfactor was going into the front of the amp and the time factor was tapping off the line out and then being fed into a Mackie powered monitor for a wet/dry setup a loop was created through those switch cables. I unplugged one of them and the squeal went away. So I lifted the ground on the plug going in to the Mod Factor: Problem solved. Even tho only the tip is connected to the mod factor, the switch still works because the ground is connected via some other path.

Now when I use the other amp that I couldn't hear the feedback loop before, it sounds better too. I believe it was inaudible with that amp but it was still requiring energy from my amp to reproduce.

This thing is a joy to use now! I switched the ModFactor to the loop and it sounds amazing. I don't like the delay in the loop as much because it messes too much with the dry tone with the AD-Da conversion, so I run wet/dry

Last edited:

Dave_C

Same here, but for me it was THE best purchase of the year. The unanticipated side effect has been buying more effects because they're more useful in a loop that comes after the amp itself. I even bought a Neo Mini Vent and that's saying something because I don't usually spend that much on pedals! But it sounds so good in the PS' loop.

The PS loop is excellent! I run a Strymon Blue Sky reverb in mine.

Last edited:

Dave_C

FYI I had a high frequency oscillation/feedback loop when using the power station with a certain Marshall. At first I thought it might be the amp, because I didn't hear it with another amp i tried. But this amp (71 Marshall) just has a high frequency response and that revealed the problem. I took the amp to my tech and he said nothing wrong with the amp.

I had to work my way through one thing at a time in my rig to figure it out. Keep adding things until the problem starts or remove things until it stops. I tried lifting all the grounds on power cables/removing power supplies one at at time etc.

Interestingly, my ground loop was not in the audio path per se. I was using a custom footswitch I got from thisoneismyne a few years ago to control tap tempo remotely on both my Eventide Time Factor and Mod Factor simultaneously. Since the Modfactor was going into the front of the amp and the time factor was tapping off the line out and then being fed into a Mackie powered monitor for a wet/dry setup a loop was created through those switch cables. I unplugged one of them and the squeal went away. So I lifted the ground on the plug going in to the Mod Factor: Problem solved. Even tho only the tip is connected to the mod factor, the switch still works because the ground is connected via some other path.

Now when I use the other amp that I couldn't hear the feedback loop before, it sounds better too. I believe it was inaudible with that amp but it was still requiring energy from my amp to reproduce.

This thing is a joy to use now! I switched the ModFactor to the loop and it sounds amazing. I don't like the delay in the loop as much because it messes too much with the dry tone with the AD-Da conversion, so I run wet/dry

EXCELLENT DEBUG WORK!!!

BelgPJ

Careful with Monster. I had two in a row fail on me at gigs which almost destroyed my amp both times. Did some research at the time and found a lot of other people reporting the same issue. They may have fixed the issues since then but I'll never own another Monster myself.

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Did you ever find out what went wrong? Batch issues?

I've used Monster Studio Pro 1000 speaker cables + various instrument and patch cables for years without issue. Hope that continues! You could tow a truck with the Studio Pro cable, it's that robust - but doesn't mean it wont fail for a variety of reasons

Dave_C

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Did you ever find out what went wrong? Batch issues?

I've used Monster Studio Pro 1000 speaker cables + various instrument and patch cables for years without issue. Hope that continues! You could tow a truck with the Studio Pro cable, it's that robust - but doesn't mean it wont fail for a variety of reasons

You're welcome! Both of my speaker cables went open during sets. Blew a power tube the first time and caught it before any damage the second time. I inspected the plugs on both they looked fine so the opens must have been in the cable somewhere. Never found out why they failed. Monster replaced the first one free of charge but I never went back for a third after the second one failed. I suspect after receiving complaints and having to replace a lot of cables, they tracked down the issue and solved it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom