Fryette Introduces the Power Station

NateFreezy

Does anyone know if the loop of the PS would still be engaged when the unit is on bypass? I'm wondering if I have the amp connected to the PS and effects in the loop of the PS, then I bypass the PS will I still be able to use the effects?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Sounds like Fryette support are dropping the ball a bit here. I'm hoping they are just swamped at the moment with fulfilling orders and with the aftermath of NAMM. Hope they come through for you guys who have sent them messages regarding issues with the PS. I'm looking forward to buying one either from someone on here or brand new when they are in stock again, but before I do that I am looking forward to seeing how they handle these user's issues. Might make all the difference on my decision.

balls have not been dropped: this was a great, big NAMM for Fryette. intense, but great.
just NAMM, "all hands on deck!"

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone know if the loop of the PS would still be engaged when the unit is on bypass? I'm wondering if I have the amp connected to the PS and effects in the loop of the PS, then I bypass the PS will I still be able to use the effects?

No.
No.
RTFM.

support

Apologies for the slow response. The NAMM show was a huge undertaking this year as splatt says and as anyone who stopped by could see.

That was topped off by the entire staff getting dog sick over the course of the last 2 weeks.

So yeah, I have some catching up to do. Here are some quickies for now:

1) We shut the webstore down for NAMM but we do have some PS-1 stock left. It'll be live in a day or so.

2) If you use pedals in front of the amp and in the loop of the PS powered by a common supply wih no ground isolation, it will hum and squeal. Especially true when using a one-spot. It's not a defect in the PS.

3) You can use any 6L6 as replacement. There is no bias adjustment needed.

4) All other common questions are addressed on the manual:
http://www.fryette.com/content/Power_Station_Manual_Eng_Rev1.pdf

Dave_C

Apologies for the slow response. The NAMM show was a huge undertaking this year as splatt says and as anyone who stopped by could see.

That was topped off by the entire staff getting dog sick over the course of the last 2 weeks.

So yeah, I have some catching up to do. Here are some quickies for now:

1) We shut the webstore down for NAMM but we do have some PS-1 stock left. It'll be live in a day or so.

2) If you use pedals in front of the amp and in the loop of the PS powered by a common supply wih no ground isolation, it will hum and squeal. Especially true when using a one-spot. It's not a defect in the PS.

3) You can use any 6L6 as replacement. There is no bias adjustment needed.

4) All other common questions are addressed on the manual:
http://www.fryette.com/content/Power_Station_Manual_Eng_Rev1.pdf

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear y'all got sick! It's going around. :(

As for the squeal thing, possibly for the benefit of others, I use a Furman AR-15 Series II AC regulator to power everything in my various rigs and have pedals before the amp and in the PS loop and have never have any issues with squeal with the four amps I use the PS with. I believe the AR-15 outlets are all isolated, which would explain why I've never had any issues.

(The AR-15 is behind the cab.)

Last edited:

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member

Would this problem occur if I was using two voodoo labs power supplies? I believe they are isolated but want to make sure- this could be a big deal for me because the loop is a big part of my draw to the PS.

Dave_C

Would this problem occur if I was using two voodoo labs power supplies? I believe they are isolated but want to make sure- this could be a big deal for me because the loop is a big part of my draw to the PS.

I think you'll be OK with two VL supplies. I have the older units but believe all the outputs are isolated, except maybe where noted on the newer models.

thelionsden

As I mentioned in my post about resolving my squeal... I was not using a common power supply, each Eventide pedal has its own wall wart supply and the rest of my pedals use Voodoo lab. Nevertheless I had the squeal as there was two paths to ground created with my switch. Isolated power supplies alone would not correct that.

Its not always as cut and dried as just using a certain power supply or flipping a ground lift or putting a ground cheater on an AC cord, but I believe that no matter what setup you have, if a squeal or oscillation is created, it should be able to be resolved with a little detective work and lifting or isolating the offending ground.

Dave_C

As I mentioned in my post about resolving my squeal... I was not using a common power supply, each Eventide pedal has its own wall wart supply and the rest of my pedals use Voodoo lab. Nevertheless I had the squeal as there was two paths to ground created with my switch. Isolated power supplies alone would not correct that.

Its not always as cut and dried as just using a certain power supply or flipping a ground lift or putting a ground cheater on an AC cord, but I believe that no matter what setup you have, if a squeal or oscillation is created, it should be able to be resolved with a little detective work and lifting or isolating the offending ground.

Good point. Thing is, if you DO have isolated supplies for everything, it can really narrow the search...as in, "What's NOT running from an isolated supply"?

thelionsden

Good point. Thing is, if you DO have isolated supplies for everything, it can really narrow the search...as in, "What's NOT running from an isolated supply"?

True. I just didn't want people to be afraid to try the PS or be discouraged and give up if the squeal was there even tho using all isolated PSU

Dave_C

True. I just didn't want people to be afraid to try the PS or be discouraged and give up if the squeal was there even tho using all isolated PSU

Definitely! The advantages of the PS FAR outweigh the need to eliminate ground loops, which is something you should try to eliminate anyways.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I have to say that the Power Station was one of my two best purchases of 2015.

Same here, but for me it was THE best purchase of the year.
My other "best purchase of the year" was a Fractal Audio FX8.

It's a multi-effects pedal specifically designed for the four cable method with relay outputs that can control the channel switching of your amp. Used together with the Power Station it makes any vintage, non-master volume amp without an effects loop a state of the art modern powerhouse. I love the convenience of switching multiple effects with one footswitch instead of having to do the tap-dance and all of my best gain pedals are very well emulated in the FX8. It and the Power Station were by far my best purchases of 2015.

FAS-007-2.jpg

Dave_C

First of all I had no questions...I prefer the hands on approach...

Secondly the above answers say a hell of a lot more about you than it does me...

Perhaps no grammatical questions but some very basic misconceptions that could have could have been addressed with an even cursory look at the manual or even just the PS webpage, both of which are every bit as "hands on" as an online forum...and a helluva' lot more accurate! Just a few keyboard clicks away. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Seegs

Perhaps no grammatical questions but some very basic misconceptions that could have could have been addressed with an even cursory look at the manual or even just the PS webpage, both of which are every bit as "hands on" as an online forum...and a helluva' lot more accurate! Just a few keyboard clicks away. Just sayin'.

Again...you do it your and I'll do it mine...perhaps you should focus more on your incessant need to beat a horse to death...to repeat the already stated and dealt with points...just sayin'!!

Oatie

EXCELLENT DEBUG WORK!!!

___

For Sure! My 1970 JMP50 did the same thing. I have the 33/500 tone stack w/.68 in V2 and the Lar MAr, What I found is the cheaper power supplies like a One Spot is no good, the cheap 40.00 isolated Amazon units are not much better. You need a high quality power supply, Voo Do or this quality. And don't put the unit PS1 in front of your speaker, put it off to the side. I pinpointed one footswitch out of 6 that was bad, and old tube screamer. I use the 808 instead and kept turning down the Master and the Volume (Amp) then turned up the PS1.
The EL34 amps dimed seem to be a challenge for the Squeeling.

It is really cool playing a Twin/Princeton/Deluxe Reverb through the 4x12 Mashall cab w/Pulsonics. Big Plus, hope they make a 2 ohm option in the next generation.

Dave_C

___

For Sure! My 1970 JMP50 did the same thing. I have the 33/500 tone stack w/.68 in V2 and the Lar MAr, What I found is the cheaper power supplies like a One Spot is no good, the cheap 40.00 isolated Amazon units are not much better. You need a high quality power supply, Voo Do or this quality. And don't put the unit PS1 in front of your speaker, put it off to the side. I pinpointed one footswitch out of 6 that was bad, and old tube screamer. I use the 808 instead and kept turning down the Master and the Volume (Amp) then turned up the PS1.
The EL34 amps dimed seem to be a challenge for the Squeeling.

It is really cool playing a Twin/Princeton/Deluxe Reverb through the 4x12 Mashall cab w/Pulsonics. Big Plus, hope they make a 2 ohm option in the next generation.

My Monterey will squeal too when cranked a bit and I stand too close, probably due to the transformer/PUP coupling described earlier by Fryette support. But, that happens with or without the PS.

Jason_77

My other "best purchase of the year" was a Fractal Audio FX8.

It's a multi-effects pedal specifically designed for the four cable method with relay outputs that can control the channel switching of your amp. Used together with the Power Station it makes any vintage, non-master volume amp without an effects loop a state of the art modern powerhouse. I love the convenience of switching multiple effects with one footswitch instead of having to do the tap-dance and all of my best gain pedals are very well emulated in the FX8. It and the Power Station were by far my best purchases of 2015.

FAS-007-2.jpg
I had no idea this even existed until you posted it. I've since been watching a number of youtube videos and holy crap that is one impressive piece of equipment! I can totally see how this combined with the PS and a plexi would make for an extremely formidable rig in quite possibly the most elegant, streamlined way.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom