Fryette Memphis - Was it a keeper for you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LesMesa, Feb 4, 2012.

1. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Memphis head and would like to hear from current and past owners.

What are your likes and dislikes about this amp. If you sold it - why?

2. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Bump. Anyone own this one?

3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I have one on the way, bought from another forum member here. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know what I think. Maybe check with Strat22 in the meantime, that's who I bought mine from.

4. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Is the new amp with you yet? What are your thoughts so far?

5. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

I owned a Memphis combo for a while and eventually sold it.
    Personally, I think it is an amp you need to play first before buying.
    It is a great amp, but Fryette has it's own sound and feel and the only way to know if it's for you is to play it.

On the plus side:
    You can get a lot of different tones out of this amp. The clean channel can be warm, bright, spanky, crunchy... whatever you need. The voice switch works well and makes a noticeable difference in sound.

The drive channel is equally as versatile and can go from crunch to moderate high gain . Again the voice switch does a good job of giving you some variations on your sound.

The selectable power works well, but don't think of it as a way to go from club to bedroom volume. You notice a sweeter sound when switching to 18 watt mode, but not much of a change in overall volume.

Lastly, it has probably the best FX loop I've ever encountered. Versatile, adjustable and transparent.

Things I didn't like:
    The reverb was quite noisy. It is capable of producing deep reverb, but at the cost of noise. I know Fryette was addressing this, but I can't say if it is fixed.

I didn't care for the way the boost worked. It adds 6db of gain and is not adjustable, which for me didn't work out well live. There were times I wanted the extra gain, but not the volume and there were times I wanted the extra volume and not the gain. The amp responds to guitar volume changes well, but still, I was not getting the volume/gain I wanted.

Lastly, and this is really just more a personal thing, but I could not jive with the overall sound. I really liked the clean and crunch sounds, but as the gain went up, there was something, some overtone that just turned me off.

In the end, these are really just personal likes and dislikes. It is a solid amp, built by a great company and everything works as advertised. For some, it may be perfect, but for me it missed the mark. I wound up buying a Bogner Shiva in place of it and that worked out much better for me.

6. motokev

motokev Member

diverse amp for sure....
    very touch sensitive !!
    I'd play it, then move over and play my TK Metropolitan and go, man.... what an amp !!
    each his own, though

7. monacosis

monacosis Member

i owned and gigged a M30 combo for about 1.5 years - jazz to soul to rock(ish) music. thanks to all the power options and a great master, it handled small venues well but it was brilliant when opened up. it's very quiet and sensitive to volume knob dynamics, like most Fryettes. both channels are usable - i tended to set them as different shades of the same tone. the voicing options are the best thing about the amp, imo. it's pretty cool to be able to set the eq for the room and then flip voicing switches instead-of/in-addition-to stomp pedals. the the combo is big (but not too heavy) and i think that is also a big part of the M30 sound.

in the end i prefer a head/cab set-up, tho and sold the combo to fund the head. after seeing a few scheduled delivery dates come and go, i bought a Deliverance 60 head which turns out be a better fit for me - one incredibly sensitive and verstaile channel with many of the voicings i dig in the M30 - altho they are quite different amplifiers, imo.

hth,
    mike

8. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Hey, sorry for the delay. Yep, I got it. Pretty much knew it wasn't for me within a day of playing it. Its a really nice amp, but didn't do it for me. I have to agree with JunkGear, its an amp that you need to play before buying. I loved pretty much every online demo I heard/watched and bought it based on those. I love the clean channel, IMO that's the best thing about it. The gain channel is where I have the problem. The only way I can describe it is blunt and stiff sounding. That's just my opinion, with my ears. The clean channel again, is awesome especially when pushed, and loves dirt pedals. BUT, that's not what I needed. I wanted something that had 2 useable dirty/clean channels. The dirt doesn't work for me on the Memphis, so its not a keeper in my case. Its already pretty much re-sold. Its a popular amp, so its not hard to turn it around if you don't like it and not loose any money, or at least not much.