Fryette "Memphis" - WOW, great amp!

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I got to play through a Fryette Memphis at NAMM. As we all know, NAMM offers perfect listening conditions in which to evaluate an amp (Yeah, that's the ticket - perfect conditions).

Still, even though the conditions were not perfect, coupled with the fact that Fryette was located across the aisle from Mesa, made listening a challenge, but we DID get to turn it up a bit, and I loved it - both channels.

Stevie Fryette makes great amps - that's a given. That said, I was particularly impressed with the Memphis. The gain sounds go from classic to PDH (Pretty Dang High) gain, with a couple of really useful voicing switches and gain level switches. I was able to get a ton of different tone styles from the lead channel - med gain, treble way up and mids and bass down, I got Johnny Winter tones, and I could easily roll all the way up to Metal with the flick of a switch or two.

The Clean channel was truly stellar - WAY more clean headroom than I was expecting in a Fryette/ (the artist formerly known as) VHT amp. Several voicing switches are present in the clean channel too, and they all work very well indeed. I was able to get a number of "classic" style clean sounds quickly and easily - the knobs seem to work very intuitively and did just what I expected, from Fender style cleans to lots of other style cleans.

In both channels, the voicing switches work very well and do not detract from the ease of operation or the sound quality. There's reverb - much deeper and darker sounding than say a Fender, no "boing" springy sounds here -but it's very effective for giving a little cushion on the clean sounds.

I was able to get low gain "Americana" sounds by using lower gain settings and rolling the guitar's vol back just a crack, and I was able to get Metal level gains by throwing a couple switches into different positions.

I though it was incredibly "contained" sounding, neither the gain sounds nor the cleans "spilled out" of the cab design, but it's not at all small sounding - that's a great characteristic for a 1x12" combo that weighs 50 lbs. It's one of the most versatile channel switchers I've heard to date, and did I mention it goes from PDH gain to spanky clean?

There is an FX loop, but I didn't get to try it out.

Extremely gig-able, very nice sounding, easy to dial, looks really cool. I think Stevie Fryette has hit another home run with this one, ESPECIALLY with guys like me who want access to a good med-to-high gain sound but can't always have a 4x12 cab and head, and can't always turn up very loud.

Great amp Steve - I dig it a bunch! I heard David Torn (Splatt here on TGP) use a Memphis live on Fri pm at NAMM, along with Tony Levin, Pat Mastellato and Terry Bozio. The volume was padded way down, and Torn sounded great through the Memphis. The thought occurs to me that this particular player's skill level, in this particular case, may have had something to do with the great tone (GRIN).

And of course, I want one. Stevie Fryette says they hope to start shipping them real soon - perhaps the end of Feb.

Thanks, Dana O.

Last edited:

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for this, Dana (and thanks again for your pics rickmebe).
I'm really looking forward to this amp...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a head version of this amp well be available ?

A class A amp that well do metal ? This is interesting.

What do you mean when you say metal in this thread ?

.... and thanks for the review.

C.D.F.M.E.

Thanks for sharing Dana O!

It's great to hear that the cln ch has ample headroom, I was a little worried about that. From Thomann Germany it's guestimated to be available at 26.2. and the price is 1629€ (2300$), in Europe that is. Can't wait!

M

Member 995

I heard David Torn (Splatt here on TGP) use a Memphis live on Fri pm at NAMM, along with Tony Levin, Pat Mastellato and Terry Bozio. The volume was padded way down, and Torn sounded great through the Memphis. The thought occurs to me that this particular player's skill level, in this particular case, may have had something to do with the great tone (GRIN).
I didn't know you were at the show. I would have hunted you down to say, "Hey!"

Deathmonkey

From the vids, there also seem to be quite a few cool features, like the preamp tube compartment for swapping. I'm excited to check these out. I love my Super 30, but having a more versatile combo to truck around with would be prettty bitchin.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
From the vids, there also seem to be quite a few cool features, like the preamp tube compartment for swapping. I'm excited to check these out. I love my Super 30, but having a more versatile combo to truck around with would be prettty bitchin.
i think the amp may be more versatile than the super30, yeah;
there's also a wackload of available gain:
that gain can sound & feel kinda "old", if that floats yer boat.....
.....but can also sound & feel "not-so-old".
at the moment, i'm really enjoying the reverb
--- the first fryette reverb i've truly dug ---
the new speaker (super-sweet!), & the kinda fatter, juicier-feeling older-kindsa tones.....
but w/pretty high-gain, and a boatload of swishy/zhooozhy, but still articulate & defined, low-end.

btw, dana:
i had some problems w/my rig, the other night:
something funny/weird/uncomfortable cropped-up in my pedalboard,
exhibited by a seriously-decreased output to the amp.
i couldn't fix it at the gig; i do have an intermediate solution, at the moment,
though the root of the problem is still perplexing me.

anyways:
i wasn't getting my normal memphis sound/sustain, 'cuz of it!
and..... there wasn't a memphis footswitch available, that day,
so i just stayed on channel 1 --- iow, gainy --- throughout the show,
using my volume-pedal & the guitar's volume-ctrl to "clean up"..... just a little, that night.
dude.

dt / spltrcl

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Seems kinda ridiculous to be itching for one of these since I haven't heard one in person but this amp sounds great on paper. The few youtube things I heard were so bad soundwise that they weren't too encouraging but did give sort of a 50,000 foot view of the tone... I guess. But the main problem is it seems like I've been hearing about them for a really long time now. I just wish one would show up where I could play it.

Dana Olsen

Hey DT -

I'm surprised to hear you were having a little trouble with your rig - you sounded amazing, and looked so relaxed and "into it", and I felt the creative juices flowing big time. I never would have suspected anything was amiss.

Toe Loco - I think the Memphis is the most versatile Fryette combo I've played yet, and as DT wrote, I love the darker, deeper reverb too. The range of tones available in this small combo is dazzling to me.

Since it's designed by Steve Fryette, I'm sure the FX loop works great, even though I haven't actually been able to try it yet.

I'm telling you, the range of tones available just by using the knobs and switches on the front of the amp is huge.

Thanks, Dana O.

Steve_2020

I was at the NAMM Mesa booth looking at their new lunch box amps. I heard some Great Tone coming from in back of me. Literally 'head-turning tone.'

It was someone demoing the Memphis at the Fryette booth. I'm new to the Fryette stuff. Of course, I've sorta noticed VHTs around for years -but never investigated them. Somehow thought they were metal amps. Go figure.

I went over and watched the mini-demo. Yikes!

Picked up the Memphis/Fryette brochure. A Very Cool amp to seriously consider.

There are always a few places in NAMM that are dangerous to my cookie jar. Fryette just made the dangerous list.

t.hendrix

I cancelled my order for the memphis 30 ,have been waiting for 3 months.Just a big run around with at fryette amps.There saying is at the end of the month or a couple of weeks.I will wait and see ,also for the first batch clitches and bugs to be worked out. Like happened with the sig-x.

bluspwr

I cancelled my order for the memphis 30 ,have been waiting for 3 months.Just a big run around with at fryette amps.There saying is at the end of the month or a couple of weeks.I will wait and see ,also for the first batch clitches and bugs to be worked out. Like happened with the sig-x.
I feel your pain. I absolutely love my Pitbull 45 combo and I am very anxious to see the new Memphis. I have an email from 9/2007 where they told me it should be available some time in early part of 2008.
I have another one from 10/2009 saying it should ship by EOM. I have another one from 12/2009 saying they are in production and should be shipping to dealers shortly.

Hopefully they will be worth the wait. Everytime I ever sold my small Pitbull combos in the distant past I regretted it. I tried several different amps, but I always ended up buying another Pitbull. I finally stopped that nonsense when I bought my current Pitbull 45 combo new several years ago.

I am hoping the Memphis will be my new favorite!

gtr37

Really original and great looking amps!!

I was wondering to those who have played these how much gain is the drive channel .
Is it deliverance in the more mode?? the sigX rythm channel.
Also would like to know the voicings switches and what they do on the drive ch.
I saw the clean was Brite,Spank and Bloom same as sig.are the dirt channel taken from the sig to ie'Crunch, Brown ,Burn

thanks !!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Really original and great looking amps!!

I was wondering to those who have played these how much gain is the drive channel .
Is it deliverance in the more mode?? the sigX rythm channel.
i have a d120, a sig-x & a memphis.
the memphis is a different amp from the other 2.....
but, still, there's a real wackload of available & useable gain, if you want it:
a wackload:
a lot:
a good ton:
the amp can most definitely be set-up to be firmly footed in high-gain-ville.
it's not a deliverance, and it's not a sig-x, though:
it's its own thang, really, w/some now-familiar fryette features,
and some new twists.

Also would like to know the voicings switches and what they do on the drive ch.
I saw the clean was Brite,Spank and Bloom same as sig.are the dirt channel taken from the sig to ie'Crunch, Brown ,Burn
the 3 settings of the drive channel, from the bottom up, are:
1) "smooth", b) "crisp", 3) "fat".
personally, they seem like accurate descriptions to me.

as well, there is a fixed-boost for each channel on the amp,
and each channel can be set --- separately --- to either 18w or 30w.
the wattage-control is cool, as the general character & response
of the amp changes
--- in a pleasing & predictable way ---
when switching from one wattage to the other.

i totally dig the the 1x12 combo format,
but still can't wait to play the amp through my old, huge open-backed 2x12 cab.....
or, a deliverance 2x12.

dt / spltrcl

Trending Topics