1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fryette power amp stereo vs mono operation

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by TGP3, Jan 1, 2018.

1. TGP3

TGP3 Member

I had a question concerning the safety of running the Fryette 2/50/2 power amp in mono operation. Even though both the Fryette and my preamp are capable of running in stereo, for certain reasons I need to run it in mono. My preamp manufactuer was concerned that it could hurt the power amp if it doesn't have a load on the 2nd input. Is it okay to run this thing in mono or does it have to be run in stereo? I've tried reaching out to Fryette but haven't heard back. I figure maybe someone here could shed some light on this. Any help is much appreciated.

2. mark123

mark123 Member

There is not much documentation on the amp on their website, but a pic of the back of the unit shows a mono input...
    [​IMG]

3. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Each channel in the 2/50/2 has a standby switch. So can leave Channel B in standby while you run Channel A in mono.

4. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

You could split your mono in with a Y cable and feed both inputs

5. TGP3

TGP3 Member

Thanks all for the replies, this is what I needed to know.

6. Fuego

Fuego Member

The inputs for both channels are internally connected when using the mono input. Just curious, why do want to run it mono output?

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Member

I use only one side of my 2/50/2 because my cab is mono, I leave channel B on standby with nothing plugged in.

The mono label is for dual mono, like if you had a mono preamp but want to use both sides of the power amp, just plug into the input for channel A / mono, and a cab for each channel output.

8. Fuego

Fuego Member

Guitar systems,almost all, are mono anyways as the guitar is a mono source. U can't take a mono source and "stereo" it. Talking about stereo power amps here. The only thing stereo is fx. I get the cab thing.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Dual MONO is a fact!
    You can use two guitars in dual mono with the same power amp and two cabs... or a guitar with a piezo pickup...

10. Fuego

Fuego Member

Sorry, not sure if ur agreeing with me or not? :)

11. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

It's not that I don't agree... it's about possibilities that people use in mono... or even... dual mono.
    Think about the ES345/355 "stereo" pickups.... that's something else too.
    But in general the stereo thing is about effects.
    All power amps are dual mono, not stereo!

12. Fuego

Fuego Member

Right on. I realize there are some stereo guitar sources but was mainly speaking about the majority of us who use a regular guitar into a regular preamp being mono even if there are two outputs. I don't want to get into any fx argument cause u the man when it comes to that. :)

13. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

No, no... it's perfectly fine... we could go on for ages actually.
    You know... most people don't know what a stereo effect really is. And most "stereo" effects people use... are not really stereo.
    The art of true stereo processing is getting lost among guitar players and wasn't THAT strong in the past either.
    Today... with a string of pedals... the whole idea of a stereo effect post processing another is lost. There is no knowledge to reference such as studio and classic sounds.

Fuego likes this.
  14. TGP3

TGP3 Member

Well I don't do any stereo stuff, and the 2/50/2 was my choice due to it being voiced similarly to the old VHT Classic (according to Fryette). I'm running a Demeter TGP3 preamp with an old Rocktron rack effect unit, and for whatever reason all the players who use a rig similar to this don't make use of the send output of the preamp. Instead they go out left mono from the effect loop, into the rack unit, then into the power amp. Still awaiting the preamp, but I'm just planning on running it as they do. Just assuming they know something I don't.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. Fuego

Fuego Member

Huh? There's no send on the power amp. Do u mean return input on the preamp?

16. TGP3

TGP3 Member

Sorry, meant the send output of the preamp. Edited post.