Fryette Power Load: Is the cab sim good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SigXer, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SigXer

SigXer Member

If you've had a chance to play with a Fryette Power Load, how was the sound with headphones? Is the analogue cab simulation convincing, or is it kind of lack luster? Does it sound as good a Two Notes Torpedo?

I'm considering getting a Fryette Power Load with the primary intent being to use it as a headphone out for my amp rig, but there don't seem to be many reviews out there yet.

2. Fretburner

Fretburner Supporting Member

Just ordered one today. Time will tell. It’s sure looks great and loaded with great features.

SigXer likes this.
  3. JMMP1

JMMP1 Supporting Member

I found it to be quite bright. Yes, the settings could be altered, but I never felt like I had control of the frequency I wanted to adjust the most. I did find it worked better with my marshall type amp versus my Mesa. I sold it within 24 hours, though.

SigXer likes this.
  4. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

I think it is the same as in the GPDI. I think the cab sim of the GPDI is really good. However, using IRs is much better in my opinion. Just sounds more realistic to my ears.

5. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

Anyone have any more experiences with the cab sim? I'm looking at this along with the Two Notes Captor and Radial Headload Prodigy. Primarily as a solution for live playing without the cab and going DI FOH. Haven't heard any clips of the Fryette. The headphone ability is really appealing too.

6. Sgt Schmaltz

Sgt Schmaltz Gold Supporting Member

It's ok. I messed with it some, but I didn't really dig it, and I eventually decided just to run the output into a Torpedo C.A.B. As another poster said, it's bright, bordering on harsh.

Usable if you don't have another option, but I greatly prefer IRs. I keep it because it's a good reactive load, and the switchable impedance makes it convenient in my setup.