Fryette Power Station: anyone use one in parallel with a speaker cab?

cardinal

Just wondering how well this would work, if at all.

I'm considering using it with an amp without any FX loop or line out. Goal would be a wet/dry set up.

So I'd run one speaker out to a speaker cab as normal. Run another speaker out into the "amp in" of the Power Station, and run my FXs and another speaker cab off the Power Station. (Setting all the impedances appropriately, of course).

That works, right? I think it might impact the dry tone/feel/volume somewhat to have a load box in parallel with the speakers, but this would save me the hassle of having to use a separate line out box.

I'm definitely open to other suggestions for a similar and similarly simple solution.

Thanks!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
It will work for sure. You'll lose a couple dB's from the other cab, but that's pretty much all there is to it.

Reactions: Roe

Roe

you loose 3db from the main amp (actually less if your dry speaker cab compresses) but you can add 50w of power into the wet cab

teveinsene

Supporting Member
Perhaps overthinking this, I understood his post fine and will work as others above noted!

i deleted my post, already; i find the OP's post difficult to understand.
amplifiers feature speaker outs & occasionally various line-outs, speaker cabs feature input jacks.

we don't typically use a "speaker cab's output" to derive signal from an amp to drive a "power amp input", thought there may well be little 3rd party widget-boxes available which allow us to do this.

imo, the OP's setup ought to include an amp line-out tapped from the initial amp, somehow, which's then sent to the PS' amp-in.
then, use the effects loop (utilising no dry signal), and then:
boom, done.
w/d!

maybe there's some neat trick or really special routing-routine in the PS to get around this, but..... what is it?
it ain't a speaker-cab's output feeding the input of the PS.

cardinal

It's just a slight modification of how I think most people are using the Power Station.

Amp speaker out -> Power Station, which runs the FXs and powers a cab.

Except I'd also use another of the amp speaker outs -> regular cab.

The regular cab would be dry, and the Power Station's cab would be wet. From what I understand, the regular cab would be attenuated by 3 db, but otherwise it would run as normal.

I'm just curious if anyone else is doing this. I don't really need the Power Station to completey reamp my entire signal, and I like running wet/dry when possible anyway.

cardinal

Is only be using one of the Power Station's speaker outs... For the wet cab.

The other cab (dry cab) is running straight from the amp head in parallel with the Power Station.

cardinal

It's ok. Maybe this clears it up:

Guitar -> Marshall 2204 input

Marshall 2204 output 1 -> power station amp in-> FX Loop -> power station spkr out -> wet cab

Marshall 2204 output 2 -> dry cab

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
It's ok. Maybe this clears it up:

Guitar -> Marshall 2204 input

Marshall 2204 output 1 -> power station amp in-> FX Loop -> power station spkr out -> wet cab

Marshall 2204 output 2 -> dry cab

yes, thanks; no speaker output back to the PS: explains it.

i apologise.
very rough, muddled brain right now.
thanks for humoring me.

cardinal

Not all amps have a line out and this would be a way to get a wet/dry rig with one.

Yeah, I could just use something like a Suhr ISO line out to any old power amp, but the Power Station is surprisingly affordable and would save me the trouble of the extra wires and cables of the line out box.

teveinsene

Supporting Member
Yeah, I could just use something like a Suhr ISO line out to any old power amp, but the Power Station is surprisingly affordable and would save me the trouble of the extra wires and cables of the line out box.

Crank your 2204 volume to near max and adjust pre gain to taste and attenuate it down to house friendly volumes you will crap your pants and forget all about the W/D thing. Hear your Marshall how they were run back in the day on stages everywhere, LOUD!
That's what I use mine for.

cardinal

Yeah, I've never felt the need to attenuate the amp, but the fact that I could use the Power Station as a straight-up attenuator/re-amper would be nice as well.

I have always preferred a wet/dry rig over using the effects loop on my amps..... And was thinking this would allow me to use some of my vintage amps this way.
Pretty amazing how versatile the Power Station is.

a2dconverter

Hey Cardinal

I think that this is what you were thinking...

I hope this helps!

seeya

Joe

wet_dry.jpg

cardinal

Yup, that's it. Guess I should have taken a harder look at the manual.

It'd be great if they added an "amp thru" jack that could do this and bypass the internal load. But the thing appears to be extremely versatile as it is.

support

Yup, that's it. Guess I should have taken a harder look at the manual.

It'd be great if they added an "amp thru" jack that could do this and bypass the internal load. But the thing appears to be extremely versatile as it is.

...furiously rubbing the magic lamp...

Plug your amps second speaker out directly into the Line In instead of the Amp In. As long as you have a load on your amp (the dry speaker cab), the signal coming from the second speaker out will not send full power to the line in. Thank you Ohms Law. You will want to use the low level position of the Loop for your delay and you will not be able to use a pedal delay. That's about the only downside to this scheme.

To get around that limitation you do not need an expensive iso box. You can simply fashion one with a project box, two 1/4" phone jacks and 2 resistors - say, a 680 ohm and a 68 ohm in series. The 680 ohm connects to the tip of the input jack and the 68 to ground with the junction going to the output jack. Use 1W resistors.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member

this is how I use my power station. the suhr ISO line out works great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom