Fryette Power Station: anyone use one in parallel with a speaker cab?

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Crank your 2204 volume to near max and adjust pre gain to taste and attenuate it down to house friendly volumes you will crap your pants and forget all about the W/D thing. Hear your Marshall how they were run back in the day on stages everywhere, LOUD!
That's what I use mine for.

This post makes me wanna try a PS. I'm loving my 77 2204, but mostly play it at 1 on the mv, which isn't the best sound in the world. Plus, I have a 5 watt Fargen Townhouse that sounds just killer when cranked, but it's pretty loud at home. I've considered the Swart Night Light, but the PS could work with both amps, provide an effects loop, also work as a load for using IRs, and a power amp for preamps or to boost that 5 wattt Fargen with a band.
I want one.

teveinsene

Supporting Member
This post makes me wanna try a PS. I'm loving my 77 2204, but mostly play it at 1 on the mv, which isn't the best sound in the world. Plus, I have a 5 watt Fargen Townhouse that sounds just killer when cranked, but it's pretty loud at home. I've considered the Swart Night Light, but the PS could work with both amps, provide an effects loop, also work as a load for using IRs, and a power amp for preamps or to boost that 5 wattt Fargen with a band.
I want one.

Do it, one on reverb for $525 or best offer and $15 shipping. Best device ever for a 2204 or 2203 lol! You have probably already seen it but I've posted this vid of my metro 2203 thru powerstation with a suhr strat and high output humbuckers. All the gain you could ever need (for me anyway) without a boost.
Just a bunch of mindless wanking and riffing but gives a general idea of what is capable with PS.

Reactions: Roe

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Do it, one on reverb for $525 or best offer and $15 shipping. Best device ever for a 2204 or 2203 lol! You have probably already seen it but I've posted this vid of my metro 2203 thru powerstation with a suhr strat and high output humbuckers. All the gain you could ever need (for me anyway) without a boost.
Just a bunch of mindless wanking and riffing but gives a general idea of what is capable with PS.

Yep, I've listened to it many times. Killer sound!!

Hey Cardinal

I think that this is what you were thinking...

I hope this helps!

seeya

Joe

wet_dry.jpg
I want to do this set up
Except I want to put my suhr jim Kelley power attenuator in between the dry cab and the amp
Can anyone confirm that this is safe to do

thelionsden

I want to do this set up
Except I want to put my suhr jim Kelley power attenuator in between the dry cab and the amp
Can anyone confirm that this is safe to do

Yes you can do that to run a wet/dry with an attenuated dry. Seems a shame not to use the PS for the attenuation tho as it is so good. Seems it would be better to use another amp/cab of some sort to run your wet if you had one. Maybe PS line out into return of an amp with a loop for the wet.

The way I do wet dry with attenuated dry without a second attenuator is to use the power station as my attenuator/reactive load/reamper to dry cab and then use the line out of PS to drive my effects into a powered monitor like a mackie for the wet. If you wanted to get even more crazy you could split the line out into a number of effects, run the stereo outs into a line mixer and send stereo mix to 2 powered monitors. W/D/W. The most fun of all!

thelionsden

Why do you lose 3 db on your dry cab ??

If you use 2 cabs, or 2 speakers , half the power goes to one cab/speaker and half to the other. It is not less loud because the other speakers are producing sound pressure. The PS is like adding another cab/load so it absorbs half of the power that the amp produces. Halving the power reduces the level by 3db to each speaker/load.

That might be enough attenuation that you can get by without putting the Jim Kelley in the mix but probably not

Reactions: Roe
Yes you can do that to run a wet/dry with an attenuated dry. Seems a shame not to use the PS for the attenuation tho as it is so good. Seems it would be better to use another amp/cab of some sort to run your wet if you had one. Maybe PS line out into return of an amp with a loop for the wet.

The way I do wet dry with attenuated dry without a second attenuator is to use the power station as my attenuator/reactive load/reamper to dry cab and then use the line out of PS to drive my effects into a powered monitor like a mackie for the wet. If you wanted to get even more crazy you could split the line out into a number of effects, run the stereo outs into a line mixer and send stereo mix to 2 powered monitors. W/D/W. The most fun of all!

Can I run the attenuator between my dry cab, then also use the power station as a load
Soldano slo impedance @ 8 ohms
Speaker 1 > jim Kelley pa > 16 ohm speaker box
Speaker 2 > Fryette ps. >. Set at 16 ohms on the input > loop ( time based effects ) > ps out set at 16 ohms > to 16 ohm cab

The jim Kelley is supposed to be used at either 4 or 8 ohms
I'm not sure if this is safe

thelionsden

Can I run the attenuator between my dry cab, then also use the power station as a load
Soldano slo impedance @ 8 ohms
Speaker 1 > jim Kelley pa > 16 ohm speaker box
Speaker 2 > Fryette ps. >. Set at 16 ohms on the input > loop ( time based effects ) > ps out set at 16 ohms > to 16 ohm cab

The jim Kelley is supposed to be used at either 4 or 8 ohms
I'm not sure if this is safe

Think of the load devices/attenuators the same as speakers. work out the impedances the same way to know if something is ok or not.

I don't know the impedance rating of the Jim Kelley and what is the recommended impedance of the speakers you can attach to it.

Its best to have both loads/attenuators matched to the same impedance. If the Jim Kelley is 8 Ohm load it would not be ideal to use it and have the PS set at 16. The speakers on the other side of the loads need to be rated at whatever the load box wants to see. Refer to your documentation for that.

If the Jim Kelley is 8 ohm impedance and you set the PS to 8 Ohm load you need to have the Soldano set to 4 ohms Just like if you used two 8 ohm speakers. If the Jim Kelley is 16 you can use them both at 16 with the soldano at 8.

With the power station, you can set the speaker out impedance separately from the input impedance, which is cool, but they recommend you have the amp and speaker the same in case you use the bypass switch they will still match. You don't have to, but if they differ, don't use the bypass switch.

Think of the load devices/attenuators the same as speakers. work out the impedances the same way to know if something is ok or not.

I don't know the impedance rating of the Jim Kelley and what is the recommended impedance of the speakers you can attach to it.

Its best to have both loads/attenuators matched to the same impedance. If the Jim Kelley is 8 Ohm load it would not be ideal to use it and have the PS set at 16. The speakers on the other side of the loads need to be rated at whatever the load box wants to see. Refer to your documentation for that.

If the Jim Kelley is 8 ohm impedance and you set the PS to 8 Ohm load you need to have the Soldano set to 4 ohms Just like if you used two 8 ohm speakers. If the Jim Kelley is 16 you can use them both at 16 with the soldano at 8.

With the power station, you can set the speaker out impedance separately from the input impedance, which is cool, but they recommend you have the amp and speaker the same in case you use the bypass switch they will still match. You don't have to, but if they differ, don't use the bypass switch.

The jim keeley can only run at 4 or 8 ohms, my quad boxes have 16 ohm speaker so I will have to wire them in parallel to achieve 4 ohms, or get some 8 ohm cabs
What your saying is, the jim Kelley attenuator has to be rated at the same impedance as the cab it's going to.
I just thought that 2 16 ohm cabs from 8 ohms at the head would make 8 ohms and it would be OK, obviously not ok, thanks for that

From what you have taught me, I might try
Guitar > lehle amp switcher
Lehle channel 1 > clean amp ( I've been using jtm 45 )
Lehle channel 2 > Wah >overdrive, from overdrive to Lehle psplit
Psplit dir out > slo set at 4 ohms > jim Kelley PA ( with footswitch ) > 4 ohm quad box
Psplit transformer out > soldano atomic 16 combo (16 ohms only ) > Fryette power station> PS loop with effects> 16 ohm cab
It's a shame because I wanted to do this with just the slo, less to cart around
I haven't received the power station or the jim Kelley PA yet
I am hanging to try this stuff out
Usually I just go guitar>Wah>super overdrive>Lehle stuff>1x clean amp/2x overdrive amps

thelionsden

What your saying is, the jim Kelley attenuator has to be rated at the same impedance as the cab it's going to.
I just thought that 2 16 ohm cabs from 8 ohms at the head would make 8 ohms and it would be OK, obviously not ok, thanks for that

I am not exactly saying that. The Jim Kelley has to be rated for the amp that is going into it. That is the more important consideration, as you don't want to run your amp at the wrong impedance. As to whether or not it is ok to put a different impedance cab on the output of the Kelley, that I don't know. I can just say that the attenuators are not invisible to the amp with the speakers on the other side of them like you seemed to think- (16ohm cab x 2 = 8 ohms impedance without consideration for the attenuators in between)

The PS allows you to change the impedance of the amp input and the speaker output separately and specifically so you can use any amp impedance and any speaker box(s) (as long as it ends up being 4/8/16

I am not an electrical engineer and I am not familiar with how the Jim Kelley works so I am not sure what will change if anything on the input load impedance if you put different impedance speakers on the output. I just took a look at the Kelley manual, and it lets you connect two cabs to it without mentioning any input impedance considerations so perhaps the speaker impedances are isolated from the input impedance well enough making it ok to put any kind of speakers on the output.

These are questions I would ask to an electronics expert or the manufacturer to be sure what I was doing was ok as it pertains to speakers on the Jim Kelley. The manual doesn't specify.

thelionsden

From what you have taught me, I might try
Guitar > lehle amp switcher
Lehle channel 1 > clean amp ( I've been using jtm 45 )
Lehle channel 2 > Wah >overdrive, from overdrive to Lehle psplit
Psplit dir out > slo set at 4 ohms > jim Kelley PA ( with footswitch ) > 4 ohm quad box
Psplit transformer out > soldano atomic 16 combo (16 ohms only ) > Fryette power station> PS loop with effects> 16 ohm cab
It's a shame because I wanted to do this with just the slo, less to cart around
I haven't received the power station or the jim Kelley PA yet
I am hanging to try this stuff out
Usually I just go guitar>Wah>super overdrive>Lehle stuff>1x clean amp/2x overdrive amps

I am not really clear on what you are trying to achieve? Clean tone with no effects(or effects into the front) and then switchable to overdrive tone with one OD amp dry and one OD amp with effected tone mix playing at the same time?

jmfreeland

On a slightly different note, I'm planning to turn the mono effects loop into a stereo path by using the return for one channel and then another small mono amp to power the second speaker (in a stereo cab) from the second channel on the effects box.

I am not really clear on what you are trying to achieve? Clean tone with no effects(or effects into the front) and then switchable to overdrive tone with one OD amp dry and one OD amp with effected tone mix playing at the same time?
I am not exactly saying that. The Jim Kelley has to be rated for the amp that is going into it. That is the more important consideration, as you don't want to run your amp at the wrong impedance. As to whether or not it is ok to put a different impedance cab on the output of the Kelley, that I don't know. I can just say that the attenuators are not invisible to the amp with the speakers on the other side of them like you seemed to think- (16ohm cab x 2 = 8 ohms impedance without consideration for the attenuators in between)

The PS allows you to change the impedance of the amp input and the speaker output separately and specifically so you can use any amp impedance and any speaker box(s) (as long as it ends up being 4/8/16

I am not an electrical engineer and I am not familiar with how the Jim Kelley works so I am not sure what will change if anything on the input load impedance if you put different impedance speakers on the output. I just took a look at the Kelley manual, and it lets you connect two cabs to it without mentioning any input impedance considerations so perhaps the speaker impedances are isolated from the input impedance well enough making it ok to put any kind of speakers on the output.

These are questions I would ask to an electronics expert or the manufacturer to be sure what I was doing was ok as it pertains to speakers on the Jim Kelley. The manual doesn't specify.
i just received an email in relation to the suhr jim Kelley power attenuator
They said the unit was optimised for 4 and 8 ohms
But will work fine at 16 ohms

Yes that is correct but ( clean amp will get chorus flanger delay and reverb after the output of channel 1 of the amp switcher )
Both dirty amps at the same time wet/dry ( Wah and overdrive in front of amps )
Time based effects in the loop of the power station

Yes that is correct but ( clean amp will get chorus flanger delay and reverb after the output of channel 1 of the amp switcher )
Both dirty amps at the same time wet/dry ( Wah and overdrive in front of amps )
Time based effects in the loop of the power station
Amp slaving and attenuators are all new to me, so please bare with me while I get my head around all of this
I do believe the outcome will be very impressive though

Trending Topics

Top Bottom