Fryette Power Station - Direct to FOH

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Tried this in the FX section and was advised to try here instead.
Anyone out there tried the Fryette Power Station direct into the FOH on a live gig? If so, what application specifically? I'm considering trying one of the Tech 21 Character pedals as a preamp into the PS, and then take the line out of that direct into the FOH. On this particular gig I can't have an amp onstage. Does the PS have to have a speaker load connected to be able to take the line out to FOH?

Thanks

thelionsden

If you are not going to use the power station to power a speaker, why use it at all? Plug tech 21 into direct box into FOH. If you want to use the Fryette, I am sure it needs a load hooked up to it. I am not sure if the Fryette volume control controls level of line out, but it probably does. If not, you could plug speaker into it and turn volume down to zero and use it as a line out. IMO the use of the PS in this case is overkill, unless you want to power a stage monitor of some kind. It is more trouble than it is worth. Not the right tool for the job

crowquill

If you are not going to use the power station to power a speaker, why use it at all? Plug tech 21 into direct box into FOH. If you want to use the Fryette, I am sure it needs a load hooked up to it. I am not sure if the Fryette volume control controls level of line out, but it probably does. If not, you could plug speaker into it and turn volume down to zero and use it as a line out. IMO the use of the PS in this case is overkill, unless you want to power a stage monitor of some kind. It is more trouble than it is worth. Not the right tool for the job

The Power Station doesn't need a load connected

However, you're right that it's unnecessary. The tech 21 straight to the front of house would be just fine - unless he wants to power a cab for some stage volume too but he said he can't. The tech 21 even has cab emulation which the Power Station doesn't.

thelionsden

My Power Station Manual says: "!A SPEAKER MUST ALWAYS BE PLUGGED INTO ONE OF THESE JACKS WHEN THE AMP IS ON OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR." The 6L6 power amp in there needs a load too, just like any other tube amp.

Edit to add: the manual is a little bit vague. It says that if there is no speaker connected the PS will remain in Standby/Bypass mode. Possibly the load will still push signal through the line out, as it says you can do silent recording with it. I haven't tried that stuff yet, only just got it last week. I like it. Probably the most transparent attenuation I have ever tried, and I have tried many.

Last edited:

Corinthian

You might need some speaker simulation before it goes to FOH (or does the Tech21 pedal include this? I'm not familiar with them).

I'm personally considering using a Power Station in this way. PS out to a cabinet for my own monitoring (I prefer an amp in the room to hearing myself through stage monitors) and a line out of the PS through a Two-Notes CAB to front of house. Sounds like the ideal set up for me with maximum control for both player and sound engineer.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Tried this in the FX section and was advised to try here instead.
Anyone out there tried the Fryette Power Station direct into the FOH on a live gig? If so, what application specifically? I'm considering trying one of the Tech 21 Character pedals as a preamp into the PS, and then take the line out of that direct into the FOH. On this particular gig I can't have an amp onstage. Does the PS have to have a speaker load connected to be able to take the line out to FOH?

Thanks

if you can't use an amp, why use a Power Station?

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
if you can't use an amp, why use a Power Station?

OK fellas. Fair enough.
I have to say though, that Fryette advertises the PS essentially utilizable in a case similar to this. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but I've seen discussions related to using the PS as an interface between a preamp and a DAW, and even FOH. I bought the PS to use with my tube amps on gigs where I can use them; and even posted real world examples here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...wer-station-boosting-a-low-power-amp.1642797/
I was just wondering if I could take advantage of anything that it does on another gig where I can't use an amp.
Thanks

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
OK fellas. Fair enough.
I have to say though, that Fryette advertises the PS essentially utilizable in a case similar to this. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but I've seen discussions related to using the PS as an interface between a preamp and a DAW, and even FOH. I bought the PS to use with my tube amps on gigs where I can use them; and even posted real world examples here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...wer-station-boosting-a-low-power-amp.1642797/
I was just wondering if I could take advantage of anything that it does on another gig where I can't use an amp.
Thanks

sorry, i didn't understand; i thought you were thinking of buying a PS expressly for the purpose posted in this thread. apologies.

tech21nyc

Our Character Series pedals do have speaker emulation. I suppose you could use the self attenuation feature where you send the Character Pedal to the Line In on the PS and run the output of the PS back to the load of the PS (amp in) and send the line out of the PS to the board. I seem to recall seeing a diagram for this. I would contact Fryette and ask first. I believe there is a video explaining it as well.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the Speaker sim on the Character pedal will be overridden by the actual speaker output of the Power Station. Again a Fryette question. The PS does have a mild frequency compensation on the Line Out but it doesn't seem to be a full on speaker sim.

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Our Character Series pedals do have speaker emulation. I suppose you could use the self attenuation feature where you send the Character Pedal to the Line In on the PS and run the output of the PS back to the load of the PS (amp in) and send the line out of the PS to the board. I seem to recall seeing a diagram for this. I would contact Fryette and ask first. I believe there is a video explaining it as well.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the Speaker sim on the Character pedal will be overridden by the actual speaker output of the Power Station. Again a Fryette question. The PS does have a mild frequency compensation on the Line Out but it doesn't seem to be a full on speaker sim.

Thank you very much for your assistance

crackbass

Think of speaker emulation as an eq pedal that's placed right after the Tech21. It will be there no matter what you run it in or out of. However, everyone on this thread is right, none of this matters because you have no need for the power station if you aren't going to run a cab on stage.

thelionsden

OK fellas. Fair enough.
Thanks

Well the Power Stations main feature is attenuating a tube amp and extracting that tone to be used in various ways. If you wanted to use an amp for your tone while keeping the amp offstage, it would make more sense than putting it in the chain after a device that can do everything including cab sim all by itself. The line out on the Power Station is compensated so in this case it may have an adverse effect on the cab sim of the other box and would likely degrade the tone. A redundant piece in that case, with likely negative effects.

I haven't had time to try to figure out how to use the power station to extract tone from an amp and "record silently" or for that matter pump the line out into FOH without having a speaker connected to the Power Station. That method for that is not clearly presented in the manual.

Perhaps the PS amp stays in standby without a speaker connected and does not need a load on it when extracting a tube amps sound or maybe even when using the line in and may still direct signal to the line out, but at that point there is no level control of that output and that sounds less than ideal to me.

That was an interesting idea presented above from the Tech 21 guy about running the speaker out of the PS into the PS own amp in to load it while using a line level device in and out, but that sounds like a feedback loop waiting to happen unless there is something that can interrupt the signal loop when doing this.

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW - I have now tested the Tech 21 Blonde running into the line in with time-based FX in the loop of the PS. Ran the speaker out to a beat up old 1x12 I have and found that it sounds really great. I think I can put this cab (or something like it) offstage and get the level of this to match the monitor levels onstage. Then we can mic the cab or I can use my Radial JDX to get the signal to FOH. So, it's actually completely different than the application I was originally asking about, but it makes for a very portable and controllable rig

tech21nyc

FWIW - I have now tested the Tech 21 Blonde running into the line in with time-based FX in the loop of the PS. Ran the speaker out to a beat up old 1x12 I have and found that it sounds really great. I think I can put this cab (or something like it) offstage and get the level of this to match the monitor levels onstage. Then we can mic the cab or I can use my Radial JDX to get the signal to FOH. So, it's actually completely different than the application I was originally asking about, but it makes for a very portable and controllable rig

It sounds like you got it worked out. I did try what you initially asked about and ran one of our Character Pedals into the Line In of the Power Station and used the self attenuation method to run the line out to the board. That didn't work too well. Being that the Character pedal was being used as a preamp into the Power Station's 6L6 power section the line out sends the sound of the Power Station's output to the board. This overrides the speaker sim of the Character Pedal and I got basically the fizzy sound of the line out of a tube amp.

I'm curious as to what type of gig you're doing where you have to play direct? Is there a live drummer or is there an electronic kit?

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like you got it worked out. I did try what you initially asked about and ran one of our Character Pedals into the Line In of the Power Station and used the self attenuation method to run the line out to the board. That didn't work too well. Being that the Character pedal was being used as a preamp into the Power Station's 6L6 power section the line out sends the sound of the Power Station's output to the board. This overrides the speaker sim of the Character Pedal and I got basically the fizzy sound of the line out of a tube amp.

I'm curious as to what type of gig you're doing where you have to play direct? Is there a live drummer or is there an electronic kit?

Thanks for following up. Sounds like it wasn't a good idea to start with on my part.
The gig I'm talking about is a church gig. Live percussion (not a full kit), and pretty low volume

tech21nyc

Yeah, those are hard situations to play in. You also have to consider how you are monitoring. I've worked in musical theater productions for years and even having a cranked amp mic'd up in another room can be less than stellar if you only hear it close mic'd through in-ears or headphones. Part of the amp experience is the physicality of being close to the speaker and the interaction of the guitar with said speaker.

At the moment I've been subbing on an off-Broadway show in NYC and they are using BF Deluxe reverbs. The amp I play through is set at about 4 and there is a big pedal board. They have a baffle in front of the amp but I'm right next to it so you still get the "feel" of the amp so it's not a total headphone experience. Way better than having the amp in isolation.

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, those are hard situations to play in. You also have to consider how you are monitoring. I've worked in musical theater productions for years and even having a cranked amp mic'd up in another room can be less than stellar if you only hear it close mic'd through in-ears or headphones. Part of the amp experience is the physicality of being close to the speaker and the interaction of the guitar with said speaker.

At the moment I've been subbing on an off-Broadway show in NYC and they are using BF Deluxe reverbs. The amp I play through is set at about 4 and there is a big pedal board. They have a baffle in front of the amp but I'm right next to it so you still get the "feel" of the amp so it's not a total headphone experience. Way better than having the amp in isolation.

Cool
The PS is a pretty cool piece of kit regardless of the practicality of my original idea. I actually thought it performed really well on a gig I did recently with a big 9 piece band. I didn't have any room on stage for a big amp, so I ended up using my friends Princeton reverb with the PS. Ordinarily it would not have been a good fit, but the PS tightened up the low end and gave me the extra headroom I needed

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
My Power Station Manual says: "!A SPEAKER MUST ALWAYS BE PLUGGED INTO ONE OF THESE JACKS WHEN THE AMP IS ON OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR." The 6L6 power amp in there needs a load too, just like any other tube amp.

Edit to add: the manual is a little bit vague. It says that if there is no speaker connected the PS will remain in Standby/Bypass mode. Possibly the load will still push signal through the line out, as it says you can do silent recording with it. I haven't tried that stuff yet, only just got it last week. I like it. Probably the most transparent attenuation I have ever tried, and I have tried many.

This is from the long Power Station thread we had earlier, from Fryette support. They changed the unit so that it doesn't need an external load for silent recording.

You don't need to use a hotplate or other external load to use the PS as a silent load. You simply set the PS to Operate and turn the volume down. All you need to do is plug a shorted phone jack into the Speaker Out to kill what little signal bleed is there when the volume is at zero. There is a simple mod available now to make it to that you can use the PS as a silent recording dummy load with no power turned on. Units we are shipping now have this mod already incorporated into the design. We're working on a tech doc to outline the mod and will have it available next week.

David Phelge
Fryette Technical Support

Note that the first sentences apply to earlier units, up through the one describing the simple mod, the "Units we are shipping now" most likely applies to yours since you say you just got it. It's possible they haven't changed the manual yet. That shorted phone jack thing applies to earlier units not the current ones.

Last edited:
So if I ordered my PS and was shipped from USA to Australia December 23rd 2015, would this mean mine can be run as a load box without switching the unit on
Thanks in advance

Trending Topics

Top Bottom