• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fryette Power Station is a gateway back to tube amps!

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Got a Power Station a couple of months ago. I haven't used it at a gig (I've been Kemper direct to PA for 18+ months now). But I've regularly been using the PS with the Kemper at home rather than going through FRFR, as I had been doing.

More recently I've been using the PS with my JTM45 gained up (and then turned down with the PS)... Then about a week ago, I started using my old pedal board with my tube amps. Now I haven't turned on the Kemper in days, and I'm thinking about going old-school tube amp/pedals at my next gig.... I think I've headed back into the dark (or is it the light) side! Help!!!

scotth

Silver Supporting Member
That's funny you say that.

The only reason that I discovered the Kemper was because I was looking for a low volume solution for my JMP 2204.

I started by looking at a Power station and somehow found my way to the Mbritt profiles and one thing led to another...

I still haven't bought the Kemper (only because of the cost), but I'm in the Digital & Modeling forum every day enabling myself more and more and more...

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a BadCat Unleash V2 (currently for sale in the emporium as I've sold all my NMV amps) which I used for my Bluesbreaker and 1962HW combos for a bit and it worked great. I've read these more expensive load boxes "trick" the amp by slaving their power section (I could be entirely wrong)... I believe the Fryette uses power tubes and the BadCat uses a transparent solid state solution. I love the headphone out and silent recording option on the BadCat.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
Got a Power Station a couple of months ago. I haven't used it at a gig (I've been Kemper direct to PA for 18+ months now). But I've regularly been using the PS with the Kemper at home rather than going through FRFR, as I had been doing.

More recently I've been using the PS with my JTM45 gained up (and then turned down with the PS)... Then about a week ago, I started using my old pedal board with my tube amps. Now I haven't turned on the Kemper in days, and I'm thinking about going old-school tube amp/pedals at my next gig.... I think I've headed back into the dark (or is it the light) side! Help!!!
I duel in both worlds all the time, its fun, never shut down one completely over the other.

PaisleyWookie

The Power Station is a well designed, well built piece. But for me it colored the tone too much. A 6V6 Rivera became a Fryette rather quickly.

jaded_musician

Gold Supporting Member
I found the PowerStation to sound great with every amp I've tried it with including modeling with the Helix. Any coloring it adds has all been good.

My favorite is an 5b3 tweed into the PowerStation, I can push that 12 watts of tweed to 50 watts and add an effects loop.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Yup, yup. The Rivera didn't sound like the Rivera anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I was expecting to love it, but it just changed the sound too much for my taste.
something very wrong, there.

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
Is V2 different? I sold my V1 because of this, so did two of my male friends, all of us agreed it changed the sound of our EL34 Marshalls too much. It does what it says about knocking down volume very well, however, I wouldn't say it is completely transparent. It uses 6l6 tubes, no?

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
I just recorded this with the PS 2 balanced out tonight. It was TV level. Nobody banged on the door, and my neighbors are really close. Fender Vibrosonic Reverb, Trombetta BMGTX and lap steel.
I went back and cleaned up the mix a bit:

Last edited:

Oldman

There's nothing like the experience of playing tube amps and real cabs. I know that pisses off some around this forum but to me it's very true.
I agree. I was at a show recently and the opening bands guitar player was using a Friedman BE with a Marshall half stack....headliner was using Axe-Fx. The Friedman was on a another level, it was so raw and organic sounding, very much alive. While the Axe-Fx sounded good, something was definitely missing. My perception though, others may see it differently

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Is V2 different? I sold my V1 because of this, so did two of my male friends, all of us agreed it changed the sound of our EL34 Marshalls too much. It does what it says about knocking down volume very well, however, I wouldn't say it is completely transparent. It uses 6l6 tubes, no?
I don't find that the 6L6s of the PS colour an amp using other tube types. But that's just IMHO.

PaisleyWookie

Something wrong with my opinion that it colors it too much?

This was definitely V2, and this is very fresh in memory, because this gentleman is a huge Fryette fan and brought it right in because he knew I really wanted to try it.

All three of us thought it colored the tone too much. Did it sound bad? No. But depending on goals, it's not necessarily a shoe-in. It's not for me.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Something wrong with my opinion that it colors it too much?

This was definitely V2, and this is very fresh in memory, because this gentleman is a huge Fryette fan and brought it right in because he knew I really wanted to try it.

All three of us thought it colored the tone too much. Did it sound bad? No. But depending on goals, it's not necessarily a shoe-in. It's not for me.
At unity volume it sounded different with the PS on vs. bypassed?

-Empire

Wait till your tube amp's output transformer blows during a show or the next time you have to spend $200 on new tubes, or your hearing is gone from too much "amp in the room." You'll come back. Digital solves way too many problems and is way too reliable and convenient for me to ever switch back.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom