• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fryette PS-2 Incoming

jrockbridge

I've been GASing for a Power Station ever since Freyette released the PS-1. Each time I've checked into it, there were none in stock. But, I found a used PS-2 at a great price, so I pulled the trigger. This is such a well designed piece of gear that can be used for multiple things. Fryette seems to have thought of everything. Even just being able to use the fx-loop will be very cool. I've already got plans to use this PS-2 multiple ways.

Tell me about your Power Station experience. How do you use your PS?

Last edited:

Frank67

It is absolutely perfect! I love this thing. I use it to run my twin reverb really hope at bedroom volumes and it excels at that. Somehow I feel it makes every amp sound better. I don’t know how, but it does.

Another application is to run the twin into a different cab, I.e. a Marshall 1963 closed back or a Morgan 2x12 cab. Really interesting to see how much the cab is changing the sound. The Fryette takes care of any possible impedance mismatch. You could also run two cabs to make it sound even bigger.

It is also fantastic as a poweramp. I sometimes run a preamp pedal such as the AMT SS11a into it and I think it sounds great.

A little while ago I made a little video about it.

jrockbridge

‘Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things’

I wonder if I’ve even posted this in the correct section. It’s not an effect although it has an fx loop. It’s not a pedal...and it’s a heavy little box. Obviously, not strings. It’s really a multibox tool that’s part reactive load box, part attenuator, part amp (reamp), part fx loop and part direct box. So, hopefully, it qualifies as a ‘Thing.’

My Freyette Power Station PS-2 arrived today. I am blown away by what it does for my signal chain. It’s a game changer for me. I hooked it up to my 60 watt Fender Blues Deville 410 amp. Then, I cranked the Fender up to 5. That amp would be unbearably loud at that volume. Not only does the PS-2 tame the volume but that Fender has never sounded better. It’s not a slight improvement, it’s huge, like the amp has been modified.

The fx loop in the Deville sucks with pedals (might be designed for rack gear). A Dumbleator would fix it but that’s cost prohibitive. I was planning to get a Ceriatone version called a Kleinulator for $135 but now I don’t need one. The PS-2 has a loop that works with pedals and rack gear.

I recall when the PS-1 came out, an acquaintance bought one to use with his Marshall amp rig. He was really excited about it. Now, I know why he was going on about.

The PS-2 goes for $699 new in the US if you can find one. There may be opportunities to get one at a sale price. I found this one at Musicians Friend as condition 3 (scratch and dent) for $447. I can’t find a mark on it, looks new. It’s a heavy little thing. I am stoked!

jrockbridge

use it as a main power amp with a Kingsley preamp and its killer.
I don’t have a Kingsley pedal. But, I might get one in the future.

I do have several pedals that I think will make great preamps into the PS-2. Some are SS. Two are 12AX7 based pedals. One uses full plate voltage on the vacuum tube and the other is starved plate.

I plan to try the following pedals straight into the PS-2...

Damage Control Liquid Blues OD
BK Butler Tube Works Real Tube
Joyo British
Joyo AC Tone

P.S. I’m also going to try my 11R into the PS-2 > Fender 410 and Celestion 112. I have not played my 11R in awhile but it is a great preamp > amp > guitar cab. I think the 11R is a better preamp than it is a direct box.

Last edited:

Trending Topics