Fryette PS-2 transparency?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatbagg, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

PS2 & the Suhr RL (and SRLIR)...
    I know that these two units are slightly different but then again, very similar and get the same result in a similar way.

In regards to (specifically) using these units to...
    Drop a cooking amp's output to line level, insert some time based FX into the signal, then Re-Amping the signal, out to a speaker cab ( resulting in a significantly reduced volume of the amp, with the amp's power section cooking, and FX in the signal chain AFTER it's power amp section)...

Has anyone here used both of these units for this specifically and found that they preferred one over the other, for the final tonal result ?

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

A better comparison would be the Suhr rl and the Fryette Power Load, not ps.

Aquinas and fiveightandten like this.
  3. Kenny Blue

Well yes... unless the person wanting to compare understands the features of each of these 3 mentioned units. But is basically interested in the PS2 and the SRL ... and interested in, specifically, (among other things) using one of them to bring the volume down to acceptable home levels, put FX after the amp, and then re-amp back into a guitar cab.

So I am very interested in any input from those who may have tried doing just this, with the PS and the SRL, and have possibly preferred one over the other, specifically because they felt the final tone was better from one than the other...

4. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

Affiliation Disclosure: Steve Fryette is a friend of mine, but I don't work for him.

I've used both (PL & RL), and there isn't an enormous difference between them. They work on the same principles, and largely use the same types of components, so that isn't surprising. I can see how one might prefer one or the other, but they both do the job of being a load that "looks like a speaker" well. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of the Power Load's switchable response - but I am biased. The Suhr worked fine and sounded great when I had it, no complaints other than the fixed 8ohm load.

I didn't like the Boss TAE for the same reason I don't like the BadCat Unleash or Ultimate Attenuator (both of which I've used in the past) - the reason Fryette uses a tube amp to re-amp in the PS2 is because it maintains a tube amp's relationship between the output iron and the speakers. No SS amp can do that, or at least not without figuring out some new way of making a SS output work like a tube amp...

But as with anything in sound, YMMV and preference is preference. I personally like my PS2 just fine, though I'll admit I mostly use it as just a power amp for my Helix - I load down my tube amps (Fryette, Bad Cat, Ampeg, Fuchs) with the Power Load and just run them into the computer. I've used it live with the Bad Cats a few times, and it worked great, especially with the DC30 circuit (Black Cat) - but that isn't my primary use case these days.

theRagman and blackba like this.
  5. Kenny Blue

Cool ! Thanks much, very well said.

Aquinas likes this.
  6. cochese

cochese Member

There's a big world out there that predates the Gear Page and the guitar amplification colloquial terminology that is common place today. Reamp is patented and a trademark. Here is a link to the patent. https://www.google.com/patents/US6005950 John Cuniberti had the original patent and sold it to Radial who currently makes the product. John did not invent this recording technique that has been used for decades on many sources besides direct electric guitar or bass. He developed a box that made it much easier.

Here is a simplified explanation from John:

[​IMG]

It's kind of akin to what we now do in DAW's with inserts and direct outs. You record you guitar's direct signal to your DAW and after the fact can send that source to a real guitar amp and mic it or more commonly use a plug in. There are studios that offer Reamping as a service.

Slaving which has been around for decades as well involves taking the line out signal of an amplifier and sending it to another amplifier to either make it louder , or softer in the case of devices like the Power Station or Unleash etc, add effects etc.

While reamp does offer a simple to understand explanation for those unfamiliar with the concept of slaving, it could confuse an inexperienced person to run a speaker output of one amplifier to another which would be a disaster in most instances.

You're free to call it as you wish but the terminology is incorrect. You can argue with the patent and it's current owner Radial if you like.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I also confirm no colouring of tone when attenuating.
    The loop is also excellent quality.
    There's 100s of people saying same in several threads on TPG here.

I also report an improvement in tone when amping up a lower quality amp.

For example, I have a Vox MV50 AC I use as a backup to tube amps. It's a little 50w amp that has the nu-tube technology. It sounds good with plenty Vox chime by itself into a 2x12 cab.

But when I run it thru the Power Station the tone quality improves cos it's amped up by 6V6 tubes. The tone flavour doesn't change but the overall quality improves while still sounding just like a Vox. It adds warmth, clarity and sparkle.

When run thru the PS this little Vox MV50 AC sounds as good as a real Vox AC15 amp but with more clean headroom and a third of the weight.

I'm confident PS would same to any SS amp or modeler :)

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The PS is great.

The Suhr RL is too, but it comes down to what you're looking to achieve.

blackba likes this.
  9. born_hard

born_hard Member

is the Reactive Load Part of the Fryette Power Load the same technology as in the PS2 ?
    Can i find all features and sound of the Power Load also in the PS2 ?

10. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Thank you for the unnecessary lesson on reamping with recording. When I had a Redeye, what was I doing? Was I reamping? Was I reamping for awhile, until the patent and trademark were then granted to a different company? After that happened, did I cease to reamp? If the Fryette/Waza TAE/Unleash aren’t re-amplifying the signal, what are they doing? (Since they’re literally loading down the amp to line level, then re-amplifying it with another power amp).
    Slaving is a pretty crappy term to describe it, despite it being around for a long time.
    It also has an equal or greater chance of someone messing up their amp as well, if they’re not familiar with the requirements of tube amps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Husky likes this.
  11. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

The PL doesn’t re-amplify the signal into a guitar cab (or whatever the “authorities” want to call it), it’s just a reactive load. However the PL also has an analog filter for cabinet emulation, whereas the PS-2 doesn’t have cabinet emulation built-in. You can easily add something on the line out though.

unless cost is an issue, IMO the better thing to do is get the PS-2 and a separate IR loader for cabinet/mic emulation, since the PowerLoad’s emulation isn’t very good anyway.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  12. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

I had a SLO, PS2 and Suhr RL.

For really low volume ‘amp in the room’, nothing sounded/felt as good and ‘alive’ as just dialing in the SLO master volume.

The RL and PS are both great at what they do, and I still use the Suhr RL with my JCM800.

All the above IMHO, etc.

LPMojoGL likes this.
  13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are use it with my SLO for the same task. The tone shaping controls on the Fryette allow it to be quite transparent . With any amp.

14. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

Transparent, yes. The only sound difference will be that a 100w amp sounds different even cranked through a PS2 at bedroom levels than at gig level. But that is down to the difference in how speakers sound between the two volume levels. That is, if you set your PS2 and amp to volume unity, and switch the PS2 standby on/off, I don't notice a perceivable difference. But a 100w amp at 100db will sound different at 60db.

15. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Horses for courses for me.... The SRL is the best sounding and feeling RL for the studio in my experience. I haven’t mic’d an amp since it arrived.
    The PS has completely changed my gigging life and is now an absolute must have swiss army knife at gigs. It sounds fantastic, allows me to use any of my NMV amps now and really dial them in. I can use any cabinet with any amp, and they all have an FX loop now.
    I’ll never be without a PS as long as I’m gigging....

GaryMcT likes this.
  16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I wish the new 100w version had two speaker outputs, but I understand there’s not a lot of real estate on the back (or internals).
    Still tossing and turning over the PS series or the Waza TAE, as I have tried both a lot, and like both quite a bit. (Well, the PS-2; I obviously haven’t tried the 100w yet).

17. cardinal

cardinal Member

1) If you want an FX loop solution for the SLO: just run wet/dry. It doesn't take much. Even something as small and simple as the Tech 21 Power Engine will sound spectacular. Just use the SLO line out to feed your FXs and then output the FXs into the Power Engine (or any pedal-sized power amp and cab if you want portability). This is how I ran the SLO.

2) The SLO master volume works well IMHO. I honestly have no idea why it has a reputation for being a loud amp.

I sold the SLO long before I got a Power Station, but I invariably have preferred just using an amp's master volume over using the Power Station if possible. The Power Station is a godsend if you are using a non-master volume amp like a 1959 or AC30. But IMHO you don't need or want it with an SLO.

LPMojoGL and fatbagg like this.
  18. fatbagg

fatbagg Supporting Member

Yes, I agree. I would like to be able to push it a bit more as well, but one of the biggest factors here is using the PS loop. Even if I’m not using much else, the loop is worth it alone!

19. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

The loads in the Power Station and Power Load are identical. The Load has the built-in analog cabinet sim (which I find quite good for an analog one, but many prefer IR's or other methods) and a bit more flexibility in output over using the PS2 as just a load. That is to be expected, as a dedicated device.

20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

It’d be cool if Steve could find a way to slip an IR loader on one of the PS units. It’d directly compete with the Waza, but with the tube power section.

blackba likes this.