• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fryette Sig:X for a Marshall guy?

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
I'm really thinking about picking up a Sig:X. Three channels and tons of flexibility. I used to have a Pittbull Super 30 and I loved the dynamics, note separation, and range of gain on tap. But I gravitate more towards the Marshall side of things and was never completely happy with the Super 30. It was always a bit too aggressive, tight and dry.

Will the Sig:X get me closer to Marshall territory than the Pittbull (Plexi crunch up to boosted JCM 800)? I don't have the opportunity to try one locally. Does anyone have clips they could share? All I can find on youtube are metal (maybe that's a sign that this amp isn't for me) and I'm looking for tones along the lines of Hendrix, Zepp, AC/DC, Guns, and the Black Crowes. Should I be looking at the JVM instead?

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
The Sig doesn't strike me as "Marshall".....It takes some tweaking to loosen up a bit...

.....but an amazing amp that does a whole lotta good tones. ;)

Good luck.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Will the Sig:X get me closer to Marshall territory than the Pittbull (Plexi crunch up to boosted JCM 800)?
Yes.

The Rhythm channel has a kind of Marshall meets Fender vibe...different than both but containing elements of each. I'd say roughly 2/3 Marshall and 1/3 Fender and a good dose of it's own special flavor.

While it doesn't sound like exactly like either one, I could easily play anything that was played through a Marshall using the Rhythm channel and be happy with it.

Should I be looking at the JVM instead?
I owned the Sig:X. Great amp. Is it a Marshall? No. It clearly has its own thing going on, and it's largely a good thing. But if you're looking for Marshall I would highly recommend you check out the JVM Satriani head.

I owned a JVM410H before I got the Sig. It was okay, but noisy and I didn't like the OD channels. Everything I didn't like about the original JVM has been addressed in the JVM410HJS. It's not a typical piece of signature gear where you only get the artist's take on the tones. It was just designed to be a great Marshall. I am loving this amp more than any other Marshall I've owned.

Only way to truly get the Marshall sound is from a Marshall. Trust me. This from a guy trying to get that sound out of everything else.

bdubbs

I have a JVM and its just ok. Its noisy, the knobs can bind on the faceplate. There are many better sounding better made amps.

I have a JVM and its just ok. Its noisy, the knobs can bind on the faceplate. There are many better sounding better made amps.
The JVM Satriani takes care of both of these issues. It is not noisy at all, and what little there is gets taken care of by 4 extremely high quality noise gates. The knobs are far more solid than the original too. They don't seem to be free floating on the PCB behind the faceplate, even if that's how they're constructed.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
Yes.

The Rhythm channel has a kind of Marshall meets Fender vibe...different than both but containing elements of each. I'd say roughly 2/3 Marshall and 1/3 Fender and a good dose of it's own special flavor.

While it doesn't sound like exactly like either one, I could easily play anything that was played through a Marshall using the Rhythm channel and be happy with it.
Good point....Rhythm channel cranked is pretty sic!

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I was able to dial in the 2nd channel of the Sig:X to sound remarkably close to the Marshall AFD 100.

It has it's own vibe, but it was Marshally enough that I sold my fav Bogner Shiva for the Siggy.
Then I sold it, too.
I may have a problem.

flcmcya

Gold Supporting Member
I was able to dial in the 2nd channel of the Sig:X to sound remarkably close to the Marshall AFD 100.

It has it's own vibe, but it was Marshally enough that I sold my fav Bogner Shiva for the Siggy.
Then I sold it, too.
I may have a problem.
Definitely LP... 2012 and 2013was a sick buy and try period for myself...

Came to my senses and am down to around eight heads now!..........

:horse

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
The Marshall JVM410HJS is brilliant! Amazing amp!
Yeah, I'm basically down to the 410HJS and the Sig. I haven't been able to try either and it's so hard to tell anything from youtube clips.

The HJS will obviously get me Marshall tones I want. I love the dual masters and the crunch mode based on the AFD sounds great. But the clean channel sounds a little sterile in some of the demos. I also haven't found many examples of it doing low gain, plexi-ish stuff. Does the red mode of the clean channel or green mode of the crunch channel cop that tone?

I'm not sure if the Sig will exactly nail the Marshall tones I want, but it definitely seems more versatile than the HJS with all the voicing and power options on each channel. And it can be had cheaper than the 410HJS. I'm just a little wary of buying one without trying it first. My Pittbull was just a little too stiff and dry for me, though boosting it a little with a dirt pedal seemed to give more of the feel I want.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The SigX is GREAT! In a perfect world, it would be nice to have both. But for a great Marshall feel and tone, the Satriani head is great. My Bogner Shiva and PWE also get close to that....closer than the SigX in my brief experience with one. :) The SigX is just a different amp but killer as well!

geese_com

Silver Supporting Member

Then I sold it, too.
I may have a problem.
You just might :p A Friedman problem...hahahah

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Marshalls have a certain saturation, thickness and richness, maybe complexity I hear in the gain. Even the new Satriani Signature amp does it well. I couldn't quite get there with the SigX. Keep in mind, the SigX is brilliant but it is its own thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9nL70g6fY

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have an example of the SigX getting that thick, saturated lead tone like a good Marshall or Bogner? Maybe using the Fryette SAS? :)

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have an example of the SigX getting that thick, saturated lead tone like a good Marshall or Bogner? Maybe using the Fryette SAS? :)
Could you give an example of what "that thick, saturated lead tone" that you keep talking about is? A YouTube video perhaps, or a song reference? Not just an artist reference, give me something I can use as an actual comparison.

A STOCK Marshall or Bogner, please, with NO pedals, according to your own implied requirements...

I'd love to show you an example, but I'm really not quite sure what exactly you are hoping to hear. I might even cook one up custom, just for you. Sure, the SAS could help - it all depends on what you are looking for.
Specifically.
So how 'bout an example?

Top Bottom