• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fryette Sig:X for a Marshall guy?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to explain, but maybe it is what I hear in a lot of Vintage and modern high gain EL34 amps? Don't get me wrong, the Sig is amazing and I still want one....whenever I play one, I am so inspired. I would love to see if I can get a good Plexi style tone from the Sig. :)
I do love the amp.......
:)

What Plexi sounds are you think of ? Ac/dc ? Thin Lizzy ? I have a few Plexi here...have owned vintage Orange and Hiwatt .... It can get similar sounds. .....But is always a Fryette.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Marshalls have a certain saturation, thickness and richness, maybe complexity I hear in the gain. Even the new Satriani Signature amp does it well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9nL70g6fY
recently, i played with two of these Marshalls, for about 10-days in sweden (in nov/dec '13);
all day, every day for at least 5-6hrs real playing hrs per day, with 2 Marshall 4x12's.

they would be quite flexible, i'd say, for someone.

for me, though,
the size & depth of the sounds were considerably smaller & shallower than that of either my Sig-X or my D120.....
..... each of which i tend to play with 2x12 cabs.

the pre-amp, easily pushed into compression,
seemed to continuously narrow-ise both the dynamics & the sounds for me.
there seemed to be very little real bass- & low-mid response (& headroom), as well,
in relation to the Sig & the D120.

so, i simply didn't dig it;
i just didn't feel like it was responsive, nor the kind of rich-sounding, warm & dynamic marshall i'd hoped-for;
it certainly didn't deliver that "oomph" & frequency+volume-dependent harmonic phase-shiftiness that the Sig & D120 feature
when pushing their power sections (as i tend to do).
and,
while there were way too many features+such on these Marshalls which are useless for me,
it was really just the un-dynamic feel & the lack of both bass & depth that really put me off.

we're all different, though,
and i don't doubt that i maybe might could be waaaay different.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
The Sig can get marshallish but if you truly want that tone for heaven's sake get a Marshall or something based on it. I agree with Splatt that the fryette stuff to me is so much more dynamic and to me is just so much better but it's not a Marshall. The siggy can definitely do chewy, warm lead tones and especially with a good delay and maybe a boost but that isn't needed. I am actually doing three tracks for my bands demo with m uhh Sig x tomorrow. I will post when they are done.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
Papersoul, what I think you're really hearing as "thick and harmonically rich" is the transient compression that is a big part of the "signature" Marshall sound, and which Bogners exhibit as well. Fryettes, as a general rule, don't have nearly as much intial-transient compression as those types of amps - and that is a big part of their character. It is also the reason that Splatt and shanesiegle are pointing out that the Sig:X won't sound "like a Marshall" if that is what you think the "Marshall Sound" is.

That being said, the Sig:X and Memphis are the Fryette amps that will get closest to that sort of character* without being absolutely cranked. I actually think you might be happier with a Memphis [head] than a Sig, if you like a bit of "squish" to your sound - but it won't hammer you quite as much in terms of transients, so it may not work for you if you want certain types of "hit-you-in-the-chest" high-gain sounds. I could be wrong, though - and the Sig:X is certainly not lacking in harmonic complexity, or incapable of a lot of chewy feel. It just won't necessarily do it at volume levels that leave your fillings unmolested!

The Sig:X is certainly the most versatile Fryette. It is, however, still a Fryette, and will always have the "Fryette Flavor". Expecting it to cop your specific, in-your-head version of the "Marshall Thing" is a bit unrealistic. It would be unrealistic to expect that of a Bogner or a Friedman or a Diezel as well. If you like what the Siggy does, then like it for what it is!

* The GP3 and GP/DI will do it as well, but one is rare as hen's teeth and the other is still in development, so there is little point in bringing them up. Except the pedant in me made me do it. So I made it really little at the bottom of the post...

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Hard to explain, but maybe it is what I hear in a lot of Vintage and modern high gain EL34 amps? Don't get me wrong, the Sig is amazing and I still want one....whenever I play one, I am so inspired. I would love to see if I can get a good Plexi style tone from the Sig. :)
I do love the amp.......
:)
So no examples then, huh?

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
The only time I got a tone out of a Marshall that I liked as much as my Sig:X was when I had a non-master volume Model 1959 JCM 800 full stack with the volume at 2:00. The tone was glorious...definitely "thick and rich".

The problem was that I could never play anywhere at that volume. At any lesser volume the amp was as David described, lacking in the bottom end and too midrangey...not well balanced and kind of dull sounding.

At any practical volume the Sig:X was a much better choice from cleans to gain tones...overdrive, crunch or high gain.

I really miss my JCM 800 stack but if I had it I'd never be able to play it. When I did have it the neighbor that lived 100 yards away complained. I sold it to preserve my hearing. No such problems with the Sig:X.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
What Plexi sounds are you think of ? Ac/dc ? Thin Lizzy ? I have a few Plexi here...have owned vintage Orange and Hiwatt .... It can get similar sounds. .....But is always a Fryette.
I grew up loving Rush and Alex Lifeson so a lot of my early Marshall tones were Alex for sure....early Alex.

I love the clips of the new Bogner Helios. Another amp to add to the list.

Example? Anything by Jerry Cantrell and similar players.

Sorry guys, having some health problems and have been concentrating on that. :(

"transient compression that is a big part of the "signature" Marshall sound, and which Bogners exhibit as well."
This may be what I hear and like in my amps.

The SigX is a beautiful sounding amp that I love playing and I wonder if a SigX and SAS could really round out my collection.

On a side note, lately I have really enjoyed how a good OD pedal sounds through a good clean amp. I am getting some really full tones!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I grew up loving Rush and Alex Lifeson so a lot of my early Marshall tones were Alex for sure....early Alex.

I used to own a 1969 Marshall that I modded with a master volume. It is long gone. :(

Clean and rhythm channel should get you close to early Rush sounds. Never tried to get jerry sounds with it... Interesting idea. Jerry sounds certainly are not stock Marshall sounds...

Last edited:

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
You could get something pretty close to AIC tones out of one for sure but again it will have it's own flavor to it for sure. With either the rythm or lead channels with gain 1 fairly low it gets a definite british vibe going for sure. You still don't get that el34 crunch to the tone but it's definitely in the same section of the ball park. But having said that most every Marshall sounds a bit different from each other too so it's hard to say how close it gets to what you are after.

Shane

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for being so cool guys. I love the SigX and will add it to the collection, but it may not be this year. My favorite amps are those that have, wide, big, meaty and full sounding rhythm tones, but those amps don't always have the best compressed, squishy lead tones. The closest I have found from what I have played is the BFG Amplification modified Mesa Dual Rectifier, Sig:X, JVM410HJS Satriani head, Orange 100 watt heads, Mesa Royal Atlantic and Electradyne and Bogner XTC 101b.

jbp

Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a 1969 Marshall that I modded with a master volume. It is long gone. :(
Having owned a SigX, I can say with certainty that you can get those early Lifeson tones (likely channels 1 and 2). The trick will be finding the right speakers...

I never tried to get AIC tones, but I'd imagine it could handle these quite well on channels 2 and 3.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Having owned a SigX, I can say with certainty that you can get those early Lifeson tones (likely channels 1 and 2). The trick will be finding the right speakers...

I never tried to get AIC tones, but I'd imagine it could handle these quite well on channels 2 and 3.
Either way, I am buying one and adding it to the amp collection.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Do you guys find that Hiwatt amps are stiff and very immediate? You see, when I gig, I prefer to have less pressure on myself and part of that is to hava an amp that is easy to play, forgiving.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
get a great amplifier; just one should do!
commit to learning how to play it, how to tweak it when it's "not working" & how to get what you need from it:
commit to a (temporarily) closed-system, as it were.

that might help to close the endless loop of conjecture & projection, and might serve the playing, as well.....
functionally cutting-out the middleman, who tacks-on (with his %) a cornucopia of doubt.

..... though, to be fair, many guitarists seem to enjoy their endless loops, so:
all good!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom