Fryette Sig:X for a Marshall guy?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Dude, you already have really good amps that you like... you're set. get out there and play them!
I know but this may be the last year for a while I have funds to get one more amp so I want to do the research to get the right one. :)

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
get a great amplifier; just one should do!
commit to learning how to play it, how to tweak it when it's "not working" & how to get what you need from it:
commit to a (temporarily) closed-system, as it were.

that might help to close the endless loop of conjecture & projection, and might serve the playing, as well.....
functionally cutting-out the middleman, who tacks-on (with his %) a cornucopia of doubt.

..... though, to be fair, many guitarists seem to enjoy their endless loops, so:
all good!
. I love endless loops but my pocketbook hates them! Plus after 22 years at this I know what I like in an amp and what I own does that perfectly. Still a few others out there that do to I wouldn't mind owning but I can't see my siggy or budda superdrive 30 going anywhere as they do all forms of music well (especially the siggy).

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
My favorite amps are those that have, wide, big, meaty and full sounding rhythm tones, but those amps don't always have the best compressed, squishy lead tones.
...lately I have really enjoyed how a good OD pedal sounds through a good clean amp. I am getting some really full tones!
When I want a modern high gain tone that's more compressed than what the Sig:X produces I use a Megalith Delta. It provides an idealized Dual Rec tone that's more compressed than what the Sig:X does.

To me the Sig:X lead channel is more useful over a wider variety of scenarios but if I ever get the urge to delve into tones that are significantly higher gain than Page Hamilton Helmet tones the Megalith Delta delivers. It's the best "Dual Rec in a box" I've used so far. The tone controls and three position EQ switch are very well done. My son who plays a Korina V loves it.

trailrun100s

get a great amplifier; just one should do!
commit to learning how to play it, how to tweak it when it's "not working" & how to get what you need from it:
commit to a (temporarily) closed-system, as it were.

that might help to close the endless loop of conjecture & projection, and might serve the playing, as well.....
functionally cutting-out the middleman, who tacks-on (with his %) a cornucopia of doubt.

..... though, to be fair, many guitarists seem to enjoy their endless loops, so:
all good!
How true...

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
. I love endless loops but my pocketbook hates them! Plus after 22 years at this I know what I like in an amp and what I own does that perfectly. Still a few others out there that do to I wouldn't mind owning but I can't see my siggy or budda superdrive 30 going anywhere as they do all forms of music well (especially the siggy).
The SigX is killer, I agree. However, I think Bogners like the XTC, Shiva and Twin Jet take tone to another level. Even the Fryette CL series seems to take tone to another level above the SigX. :)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Funny though, I have owned Rectifiers since the 90s and they are NOT very compressed. They are very big and open, making solos hard to come by...

When I want a modern high gain tone that's more compressed than what the Sig:X produces I use a Megalith Delta. It provides an idealized Dual Rec tone that's more compressed than what the Sig:X does.

To me the Sig:X lead channel is more useful over a wider variety of scenarios but if I ever get the urge to delve into tones that are significantly higher gain than Page Hamilton Helmet tones the Megalith Delta delivers. It's the best "Dual Rec in a box" I've used so far. The tone controls and three position EQ switch are very well done. My son who plays a Korina V loves it.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
The SigX is killer, I agree. However, I think Bogners like the XTC, Shiva and Twin Jet take tone to another level. Even the Fryette CL series seems to take tone to another level above the SigX. :)

It's all subjective but I can't even start to agree with this. I LOVE the XTC and CL's and like the Shiva (never played the twin jet) but I would and have taken my Sig X over any of those any day of the week. The XTC is on my list of amps I want to own someday as I was referring to but I don't think it does anything better than my Sig X, just differently. It sounds like you just aren't a kt88 guy maybe?

Kelly

Funny though, I have owned Rectifiers since the 90s and they are NOT very compressed. They are very big and open, making solos hard to come by...
Solos are hard to come by with a recto because the bottom end is a big pile of mush.

That is only a matter of taste .... I like the Bogner stuff... Much prefer the Fryette gear. Like everyone else you need to find the amp that fits you. Richer I really believe you are one of those people that will never decide what you want. Maybe you should just be happy with what you have ? Maybe you should have about 20 amps like me ?.......but i pretty much only use 5 of them and only 1of the 5 is multichannel....my Sig X.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Solos are hard to come by with a recto because the bottom end is a big pile of mush.
Nah, its the stiffness of the tone. The bass is just fine and tight for me! I have a fully modified Dual Rec by BFG that is maybe the best sounding amp for clean, rhythm and lead I have played in almost 30 years. Brian is a brilliant modder! :)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
It's all subjective but I can't even start to agree with this. I LOVE the XTC and CL's and like the Shiva (never played the twin jet) but I would and have taken my Sig X over any of those any day of the week. The XTC is on my list of amps I want to own someday as I was referring to but I don't think it does anything better than my Sig X, just differently. It sounds like you just aren't a kt88 guy maybe?
Ahhhh yes.....I grew up on EL34s and it is tough to change that. 6L6s I just can't play, However, the SigX is the best big bottle amp I have tried next to the Twin Jet......almost has an EL34 feel at times.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
That is only a matter of taste .... I like the Bogner stuff... Much prefer the Fryette gear. Like everyone else you need to find the amp that fits you. Richer I really believe you are one of those people that will never decide what you want. Maybe you should just be happy with what you have ? Maybe you should have about 20 amps like me ?.......but i pretty much only use 5 of them and only 1of the 5 is multichannel....my Sig X.
Ha, hi Steve....I love you too man. You rock and have helped me over the years bro. I agree, I like variety and never want one perfect amp. I want lots of amps! :)

NorCal_Val

Certainly not my experience with the Tri-Rec I bought back in '97.
(and still have )
Of course, it doesn't get run at bedroom volume levels.

Trending Topics