• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fryette Valvulator GP/DI Tube Guitar Recording Amplifier

Kelly

New from Fryette...

"The Fryette Valvulator GP/DI is an all-tube low-power guitar amplifier, preamplifier, direct box, and all-around low-volume-playing solution. It is specifically designed to work in situations where you can't or don’t need to play loud, such as late-night playing and recording, headphone practicing, and recording straight into the board live. It is the first all-tube guitar amplifier designed to do that without any additional equipment, and a minimum of trouble.

The Details

The GP/DI is a single-channel amplifier. The preamp is based on the Fryette Deliverance Series, but has been specifically voiced for [even] more versatility in this ultra-low power tube amp. The preamp section uses three 12AX7 tubes and is switchable between three and four stages of gain. It is capable of just about any type of tone you can think of, from squeaky clean to classic rock to metal.

The power amp section is a one-tube push-pull design feeding a specially designed reactive load, so you can use it without a cabinet, or you can plug in a speaker cabinet and wail away. Even a very small amount of power through a typical guitar speaker can actually deliver some real volume! You can also plug that load directly into another power amp (or amplifier effect return) using the 'External Power Amp' output. The preamp and power amp are designed to work together to achieve the same sort of feel and dynamic control you would get out of one of our larger amps. That’s because it’s a real tube amp, just taken to the smallest level!

The Cab section controls a specially-designed post-amplifier dynamic voicing section (stay with us here) that allows you to shape the tone in "direct-to-board" recording and live situations. This post EQ feature only affects the 'Amp/Direct' output. It works through a purpose-built pre-emphasis / de-emphasis filter network - and don't worry, it is very easy to use! This filter is dynamic - unlike traditional "Cab/Speaker Simulators" it actually responds to your playing style and pick attack just like a typical full size guitar amplifier and speaker system.
There are two separate 'Direct' outputs. One is the main output, the level of which can be controlled from the front panel. It can be switched between Amp and Direct modes, so that you can leave it plugged into a single input on your board or audio interface and switch between using the GP/DI as a guitar amp or a direct box. The other output is a direct only output, referenced to line level (+4) and always at unity gain. This feature is based on our Valvulator I Vacuum Tube Buffer . So now, we have provided two discrete outputs allowing you to record the direct guitar simultaneously with the “amp”-lified signal, in case you want to re-amp the original unprocessed performance later."

Check out their Kickstarter page to see the introductory video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-recording-amp

Kelly

11a85d0adc52a913ff0f8f2ffa91c94b_large.jpg

1) Front Panel Input - Plug in here.
2) Amp Voicing Switch - Sets the overall voicing of the amp; nomenclature not final!
3) Gain I - controls the sound, fattening the tone as you turn it up.
4) Gain II - dials in pure distortion without affecting tonality.
5) More/Less switch - selects between 3 and 4 stages of tube gain.
6) EQ Section (Treble/Middle/Bass) - The GP/DI's EQ has a wider range than most amplifiers.
7) Tight / Deep Switch - Selects power amp response for a tighter feel or more bass.
8) Tube Amp Master Volume - Sets the level of the preamp into the 1W power amp. This basically acts like a "third gain control" - turn it down to get behavior more like a traditional MV amp, up to get a more NMV feel. This also controls overall volume when using the Tube Amp Out on the back into a speaker cabinet.
9) Dynamics Control - Allows the user to dial in "power amp sag". The LED shows how and when the circuit is working.
10) Cab Section - Controls the sound of the Amp Out line output. This will get its own explanation soon.
11) Output Section - Lets you switch the Amp/Direct jack(s) between the DI signal and the Amp signal. The Output Level knob controls the output of the Amp/Direct line out, Pre Out, and Headphone Out.
12) Power Switch - With a pretty green LED, by user request!

eb7d1c1435a4a92952974e5c12341d7f_large.jpg

13) Power In - Standard IEC input.
14) Ground Lift - To mitigate ground loops in complex setups.
15) Tube Amp Out - Use to connect the GP/DI to any standard guitar speaker cabinet. Has an impedance selector for use with a 4, 8 or 16 ohm cab.
16) Pre Out (unbalanced TS) - Use this output to feed an external power amp. Bypasses the "Cab Section" - you can use it with the Amp Out to send the Cab out to FOH while the Pre Out feeds a power amp and cabinet.
17) Direct Out (XLR and Balanced TRS) - Can be used unbalanced. This is a dedicated DI out. It has no controls - it is always unity gain, so you can use it as a "bypass" for complex routing arrangements.
18) Amp/Direct Out (XLR and Balanced TRS) - Can be used unbalanced. This is the "main out" of the GP/DI. It gives you your choice of the Amp sound, Amp and Cab sound, or DI sound, all controllable from the front panel.
19) Aux In (Unbalanced XLR and TS) - we've provided the XLR in so that you don't have to go searching around for an XLR-to-TRS adapter in a busy studio situation. The front panel jack disables this input. Has a Line/Instrument level switch, which changes the input sensitivity to allow the GP/DI to process line level signals.
20) Headphone Out - The front panel Line Out Level knob controls the volume._________

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
The videos did nothing for me, and all of my gigging amps are VHT.

lhama

Good idea, but Laney was faster...

Which one would that be?

Edit : Oh, the IRT studio. It's the same idea, but the IRT is bigger, and has more feautures. Sorry I'm not a Laney guy. I've tried them for years, I always find them... Lacking something. I like the tabletop size, so I can carry it in a bag. I am a Fryette/Vht guy, and the idea of getting that tone in a small portable package, is tempting.

Last edited:

mousepunk

IRT is something about digital (that is why it has USB). GP/DI is fully tube/analog device, which is great, in my opinion.

mapleneck72

I backed it. It seems perfect for home recording and situations where I don't want to drag a head and 2-12 cab. Looks like a better solution than modeling for tube amp guys.

Kelly

Seems liek the perfect solution for guys that travel with just a pedalboard. Stick it on your board, use it for practice. Run it into a power amp for gigs. Use the line outs for recording or FOH.

protest

Silver Supporting Member
Good idea, but Laney was faster...

They're similar, but not really the same. The Laney is focused more on the amp side of things: multiple channels, footswitch, fx loop etc. It also happens to act as an interface, and obviously has a recording out.

The Fryette is a device focused on recording, that also happens to work like a regular amp. It gives you control over the cab sim of the recording out, something that makes an absolute difference. It has multiple voicings for the amp, as well as the cab. It's also much smaller and lighter, and is very much a desktop device.

The biggest difference is something that can't just be laid out in text, and that is if you prefer Fryette's tone to Laney's Ironheart. The Fryette gives you three approximations of their larger amps, D60, D120, and Ultra Lead, with the Laney you get solely the Ironheart sound. The Ironheart is geared mainly towards high gain, and while Fryette is known for their high gain sounds their amps are still very capable of handling no/low to mid gain. The only knocks I've seen on the Ironheart is on the non high gain tones.

To me if you're looking for mainly a recording solution the Fryette is the choice.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
So, Kickstarter goal not reached means no units produced?

Not necessarily. What is likely to happen if the Kickstarter goal isn't reached is that the GPDI will be "put on hold" until at least the middle of next year, and the price will have to be greatly increased (probably around double) in order to make the product profitable.

The Kickstarter thing isn't about asking people for handouts, it is about getting enough liquid capital to best take advantage of economies of scale. It lets a company get products out faster, cheaper, and with more transparency than any other source of funding. Unlike traditional methods of financing, there are no strings attached to the money, other than a promise to deliver product - which is, in the end, all Fryette wants to do in the first place!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom