• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Frying noise in one of my guitar tracks. How do I fix it, or how do I prevent it from happening?

DeadCell

I'm recording a guitar cover of a song where I'm using the original song, along with 5 guitar tracks (two clean tracks panned, two dirty tracks panned, and a solo track).

My setup is a Mesa Dual Rectifier into a Fryette Power Station which runs as a DI into a Scarlett 2i2 interface, then into my Mac (running Reaper as my DAW). I'm running cab sims in the Two Notes plugin, using Owmhammer IRs. The guitar is a PRS Custom 24 with 59/09 pickups (hot pickups).

This is my first real attempt at a serious recording with the Power Station, as well as serious EQ work.

Everything sounds good until I get to the solo, then I can hear this frying noise that I can't dial out. If I turn up the volume on the solo track, the frying gets worse. Am I clipping? I made sure to balance the line level going into the 2i2 before recording.

I don't know what's going on and need help.

Last edited:

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like it could be digital clipping. If the Rhythm tracks are sounding fine without issue then you might have the lead track a bit too hot.

NashSG

An audio editor app is good to look and analyze recordings. You would be able to figure out quick where it is clipping etc. Ive used Goldlab for years on my PC. For Mac, I would figure WaveLab light would be available.

DeadCell

Sounds like it could be digital clipping. If the Rhythm tracks are sounding fine without issue then you might have the lead track a bit too hot.
That was my best guess but I wasn't sure. Between the backing track, two rhythm tracks, and solo (along with my noob EQ/tracking skills)... it's overloading and causing the clipping.

What would be the fix ya think? Maybe backing down the level on everything and see if that fixes it? Or possibly turning down the line level and re recording the solo track?

Last edited:

gigsup

?

Your epic transcendental solo has awakened the digital mind.
It cannot comprehend your awesomeness.
You have fried it.

DeadCell

An audio editor app is good to look and analyze recordings. You would be able to figure out quick where it is clipping etc. Ive used Goldlab for years on my PC. For Mac, I would figure WaveLab light would be available.
I'll try that. Hopefully it'll work. Thank you.

Papanate

My guess is everything is clipping - but you don't notice it until
You play a less dense track ( like a solo ). It could also be that the
front end of the Scarlett is damaged - maybe the preamp was burnt.

Can you post the tracks in isolation along with the physical settings
On the gain structure.

DeadCell

My guess is everything is clipping - but you don't notice it until
You play a less dense track ( like a solo ). It could also be that the
front end of the Scarlett is damaged - maybe the preamp was burnt.

Can you post the tracks in isolation along with the physical settings
On the gain structure.
Possibly later today. I won't be able to access my computer until then.

In terms of the Scarlett preamp, would it be active? I mean, if I have the Scarlett set to line level, and I'm feeding it a line signal... would the preamp even be used?

loudboy

Solo the track and determine whether the clipping is on the actual track, or whether you've just got it turned up too loud and are overloading the mix buss in the DAW.

If the track itself has clipping, you need to redo it. If it's just turned up too much, bring the levels of all your tracks down proportionally, until it doesn't clip anymore.

Papanate

Possibly later today. I won't be able to access my computer until then.

In terms of the Scarlett preamp, would it be active? I mean, if I have the Scarlett set to line level, and I'm feeding it a line signal... would the preamp even be used?

Yes.

gishlullmoon

this isn't on topic but man i just got a fryette power station for christmas and im using a mini rectifier and im blown away, adding more presence and depth + edge and deep mode switches with the fps......going to have to save and sell my mini rec in the future in order to get athe real thing-dual rec............

DeadCell

Solo the track and determine whether the clipping is on the actual track, or whether you've just got it turned up too loud and are overloading the mix buss in the DAW.

If the track itself has clipping, you need to redo it. If it's just turned up too much, bring the levels of all your tracks down proportionally, until it doesn't clip anymore.
Sounds like a plan, will do.

I believe I did this last night and the track was not clipping on its own, nor when I just had the backing track and solo track playing. But when I had my doubled rhythm guitars playing too, I was hearing the noise. I'll have to verify that.

If I'm correct, I almost think I remember seeing my project's overall output indicator peaking in the red a little while the solo was playing.

The volume is boosted a bit on the solo because it gets drowned out a little by everything else. I do not have the solo eq'd well right now, that needs work. I'm still learning lol.

DeadCell

this isn't on topic but man i just got a fryette power station for christmas and im using a mini rectifier and im blown away, adding more presence and depth + edge and deep mode switches with the fps......going to have to save and sell my mini rec in the future in order to get athe real thing-dual rec............
I almost sold my Dual Rectifier in favor of a Rectoverb 25 combo, but TGP talked me out of it (thankfully). After picking up the FPS, I've found a new love for my DR.

The tricky part for me comes next month when PRS officially announces and shows off Mark Tremonti's signature amp, which is based on the Archon but voiced more like a Bogner Uberschall. The amp is only supposed to be 15 watts. So I'll have to decide if I want my guitar idol's "signature" amp, or if I just want to buy a used Archon 50/100.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like the isolated tracks are all fine. In any case, you will have to bring down everything in the mix a bit to stop it from clipping on the output. Try and picture everything in it's own little space and season it all to work together. Not an easy task. Have fun and enjoy!!

DeadCell

I just wanted to post and fill everyone in on my findings.

I checked everything out last night, and the simple fact is.... my solo track was clipping. My Scarlett 2i2 clipping ring was green the entire time, but it was clipping. Everything sounded great, except the solo track.

I turned down the input volume to the Scarlett a bit (on the Scarlett unit) and rerecorded. Much better, no frying.

Thanks everyone! Now I just need to learn how to properly EQ....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom