FT 69' VS. Sunface question (need help)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey gang,

Here's a good fuzz question I have been wanting to get some feedback on.

Can some of you other fuzz heads give me the pro's and con's as to the Fulltone 69' VS the Analogman Sunface w/ sundial?

I have been using a '69 for years and never got to try out a Sunface, nor do I know it's full capabilities in regards to it's dynamics in contrast to the 69'.

I appreciate the feedback and help.

Best regards, :BEER
    Mass

2. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I would also be interested in hearing some thoughts regarding these two pedals.

mark

3. parns2112

parns2112 Member

they're both great, can't go wrong with either...most people around here will tell you they prefer the AM Sunface...the 69 is a bit more tweakable...can't go wrong with either, but the '69 is discontinued and can generally only be found on ebay for marked-up prices

4. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I've had both. I just got a Sunface (On/Off, Sundial, LED, DC Jack options) and really like it. Like was already said, both excellent, both expensive, both sound great. Both pedals clean up well with the guitar volume knob. The 69 seemed to be a little heavier on the bass with my setup (Strat/Fender Pro Junior amp). The 69 had a little more volume at your disposal. The Sunface takes up less real estate on the board. If I had been able to try a Sunface before selling the 69, I would probably have been content with my 69. They are that close. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sunface but I got my 69 before they were discontinued so it was much cheaper than my fully loaded Sunface. I also think the Sunface is quieter (less hiss) with volume and fuzz cranked.

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

In my opinion, because the 69's discontinued status is causing prices to go through the roof, I think your best bet would be to look for a used Sunface. I just bought one w/ the sundial (which I wouldn't be able to afford new with the options I wanted). It should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Oddly enough, I think the used price for a loaded Sunface is less than what you would pay for a '69, but I'm not sure.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Stay with your '69. It sounds as good and is 1000 times more versatile.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Where's jb1911 when we need him? He's had at least 3-4 '69s *AND* Sunfaces...

I've not had the chance to play a Sunface, but I do have a 1997 '69 here - what makes it such a great pedal IMO is the Bias control. That control saved the pedal for me - its ability to adjust the input impedance allows you to tailor it to your pickups to reduce the mud/looseness I found with other FFs I've tried. I'm not sure if the Sundial performs the same function, but if it does then I'm sure it sounds equally as kick ass as the '69 does.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Oh there you are... :p

Watching the Cubbies..? :BEER

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I currently have a Sun Lion an 2 69s. The Sun Lion is on my board now. It's cool because it has the Beano Boost pedal too. I think mine has more fuzz than one of the 69s. Comparing the 2 69s, the 2nd one has more fuzz - and more noise - volume and is more woofy on the same settings. I guess that it is not unusual for geranium based pedals to sound a little different from one another. Anyway, both pedals are great IMHO.

10. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Yeah, the 69 has more tweakability for sure. I just never really got along with the '69, though. My sunface with the sundial is pretty much set and forget. Fuzz all the way up and volume between 12:30 and 2:30 and I'm set.
    I'd say if you dig the '69 keep it, try the sunface and then you'll have two great fuzzes.

11. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I'm a realist. I don't watch the Cubs.:rolleyes:
    The trimmer on the board of the '69 is the same thing as the Sundial. The bias adjusts the input impedence.

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

i tried the 69 and clearly remember that i liked nothing about it, but i love my sunlion... although that was some time ago...and now listening to it in clips it sounds great.so who knows.

13. teXum

teXum Member

Had both, great pedals, can be dialed to sound pretty close, but of course the '69 is more versatile, and can go to places the SunFace can't. But decided one had to go, two fuzzfaces on one board was a little to much: tested both a lot over two days, in order to select the one that had to go, and although the '69 really did shine on occasion, the SunFace just brought a little bit more of the elusive "mojo".

There's really no reason to try to be more specific, IMHO, they're both great pedals. If you never try the SunFace, my guess is you'll stay happy with the '69, but then I sold mine, and kept the SunFace :)

14. jb1911

jb1911 Member

There are so many great tones in a '69 if you know how to use it. I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

they may not be liking it because it's a difference of opinion, one thing alot of TGP members need to learn to accept. Not everyone likes the things they do. I'm not giving you a hard time , it's a general statement.