1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ftr 37

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 59 Deluxe, Jun 27, 2006.

1. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

Can anyone give me an idea of how loud the Divided by 13 FTR 37 is in half power mode? I have heard many people comment on these being loud amps and some have even gone to the 10/20. For instance, is it really that much louder than say a Deluxe Reverb when in half power mode?

I am aware there are many more variables than just the tube compliment in determining an amp's apparent loudness such as speaker efficiency, etc, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience in a/b'ing an FTR with more common 2 6v6 amplifiers.

This amp just appears to me to be an amp that could do a variety of styles, from country to blues to rock, coupled with the versatility to play different sizes of rooms. therefore, despite the price I feel I could let some other things go; but if the half power mode is more than even a small room could take I would think otherwise.

Thanks for any input.

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

the ftr37 in half power was about as loud as my buddies AC30CC with the master cranked and the top boost volume above noon. the FTR may have been a little quieter ... but LOUD!

oooo ... but i was a dumbass when i sold mine ... because i soon after found out what a Variac is ... now i use one almost all the time ... it probably solved my issue with the volume on the 37.

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I don't really think that half power does a whole lot for apparent volume...

Its a loud amp, but it sounds so full and rich that a lot of times you can get away with it. It doesn't pierce.

4. 6120

6120 Member

The 37 is very loud, not much quieter at half power but you get it breaking up a little quicker.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah, the /13s that I've played/heard just seem to break up quicker instead of a large volume drop. It's a pretty neat half power switch.

6. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

thanks for the replies. would you say then that it is particularly louder than a deluxe reverb? i can tell the transformers, at least according to the size, probably indicate more volume and headroom.

7. JoeP

JoeP Member

The thing about the 37 is not it's volume. It's really not that loud. Compared to a Maz 38, it's not as loud, but, it fills the room up with TONE... It's presence in the room, seems like it's volume, but, after playing with 100 watters, it's really not that loud, it just cuts through the stage mix. It's clarity makes it seem like it's really LOUD,,, but, damn, it's just pure tone...

8. mlongano

mlongano Member

...that's a very accurate description of the FTR37.

9. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

It's loud. But remember it doesn't have a master. What NMV amp do you know of that isn't loud when crunching? None I can think off. It's not as loud as a Marshall 100watter though (I've run them back to back). The thing that makes it not such a great home amp is all the low end. It moves things even at low volumes which seems louder.

The Z Airbrake works awesome to knock off a few db. It takes pedals great too, so you can run the volumes lower and od it with a box.

In a band setting on a decent stage it is perfect. More than a couple times I was dang glad it had huge volume. Stuck in a corner of your average dive bar, you'll probably have to do some damage control though.

10. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

it seems to me that i have dealt with volume problems all my guitar playing life; so that doesn't scare me too much. in that case let me modify this post a little without making a new one.

am i right that i could nail anything from country to blues to overdriven tones (with the click channel) to make this a great amp for all around needs? without having to resort to master volume, which i have never liked and still have a great tone for a few situations?

11. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

The nice thing with this amp......the clean tones sound nice at any volume........so if you are in a smaller venue, you can use the nice cleans and get your dirt from a pedal and still retain that great divided by thirteen tone at lower volumes......when you can push the tubes, between the clean channel and the click channel, all you need is maybe a wah and delay and maybe an RC booster and you have all your tones......the ftr 37 is my desert island amp

12. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

It's also a 4x6V6 amp where the fender deluxe is a 2x6V6.
    Mine is loud as hell in the living room and my gf complains every time i fire it up...lolz...NOT a practice amp :).