Fuchs Amps Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cmc2878, Sep 17, 2006.

1. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

Is it possible for andy to voice an amp a little differently than the stock ODS?

2. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Andy is a straight shooter. Anyone who has had deals with him will tell you the same thing. He will not ******** you. Send him an email him. He is fast to reply.

Good luck!

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

An e-mail to Andy would most likely be the quickest way to find the answer to that question.

:)

4. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Straight shooter, and might I add very good to do business with. Great guy really!

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Intresting...........I emailed andy twice on the exact same question just a few days ago.........[​IMG]

I'll post as soon as I hear.

6. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

Old School, I take it you have recieved your ODS 50 - what are your thoughts?? Fit with your classic rock?? Thanks

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Of course, Andy has a whole line of amps with a different voicing.
    Plus there's a gain pot you can adjust
    Plus I'm sure Andy can tweak it for you.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I'd be surprised if Andy couldn't cook something magical up for you.

That said, sometimes you can extend the natural voicing of an amp by tweaking things like pre/power tubes, changing the phase of your speaker wire, changing speakers & cabs, and adding things to the effects loop. Rather than changing an existing design, you can do things that shift the voicing around a bit.

For example, I found the overall voicing on my ODS50 to be a bit bright for what I wanted my lead tone to be. One day when I was messing around with my rig, I tried putting an H&K Replex (a tube driven delay) in the effects loop. Bingo! The preamp tube in the Replex added some lower midrange resonance and darkened it up a bit more. Now my lead voicing is more in the realm of Alan Holdsworth and Phil Keaggy than Larry Carlton and Robben Ford. Hope that helps!

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My Rig is a work in progress but I really like it so far. I A/B it directly with a Bogner Shiva EL34 and I found the OD50 way more versitale but what the Shiva did was it had more girth and balls when it came to classic rock. I really think thats becuase I just prefer EL34's to 6L6's.

The OD50 is much more compact and lighter . The Fan is also a bit louder but thats not an issue when playing just something to keep in mind if you record alot.

We ran it balls out at a Jam last Wensday and it sounded great but again the Shiva just has a low end growl the Fuchs couldn't match. I emailed Andy about it . I want to change over to EL34's (KT77's ) actually and see if there is anything he can do to voice it more plexi but like I said he hasn't Emailed back yet. I know if I want a Plexi I should just get a plexi but I really like the Fuchs Compactness, its such a pleasure to travel with, its Master volume/output /input is very versitale and gives the amp alot of range. I'm just trying to get it more of my Vision of what I want. I'm sticking with it. I have a speaker change on the way and I'm really interested to see if Andy has some other things up his sleeve to get it Rocking instead of Fusioning.........[​IMG]:dude

10. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

We have this program "hand tuned" option available. I haven't sold it yet, not really advertised it. email Andy and he can tell you all about it.

Ben

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Do you work for Andy?

12. jspax7

jspax7 Member

There is a mod to the TDS 2nd channel that adds more gain than the ODS clean. Since it's the same circuit, (I think) as the ODS clean, I wonder if Andy can do that to the ODS?

There was a link that Andy posted where one owner said it was Marshally and SRV sounding. That would be too cool. (Just thinkin' out loud) I have an ODS 30 BTW.

I currently use the OD channel. With a Strat, the bright switch seems to deliver the chime, and mids and bass add girth without mud. The accent knob controls the top end and loosens the output stage.

What guitars are you playing with yours?

Keep us posted!

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats very interesting I hope Andy comes by and chimes in soon.............

I just recently got 2 PRS McCartys that sound fantasic through it, And a relic Strat and Tele . Irish Bare Knuckle single coils and WCR Fillmore Humbuckers. :RoCkIn

14. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Great guy, excellent to do business with.... I'm adamant about that! Hoping to not sound like I'm kissin' ass but that guy has gone out of his way for me! I owe Andy. I am a believer in Fuchs! And, I want stock if he goes public. Fuchs Audio is very important!
    Gerry