Fuchs Blackjack 21...any experience or love for this one??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I am thinking about nabbing on of these little beasts and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this model they could share. Nothing in the archives here and no dealers close enough for me to check one out first hand so any input will be greatly appreciated.

thx, Steve

2. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Wow....I can hear the crickets chirping...:(

3. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Don't think it's out yet. VDG

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yep... it's out. IndoorStorm has two in stock and there's one on eBay right now.:eek: The guy at I.S. had all good things to say about it but I kind of got the feeling it wasn't his bag so he didn't really have a lot to say in particular.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yeah..I've listened to all the Luck 7 clips and videos and it sounds amazing for only 7 watts!! I am sure the BJ 21 has got to sound amazing as well but was curious how the 6V6's affected the overall tone and character. They are alleged to sound basically the same. The 21 just offering substantially more headroom and punch I think. I would love to find a clip or hear from someone who has actually played one. :(

7. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Cool. eddie plays so well, l he let's the amp sing well but I didn't like the OD box on the other "7" and T-45 clips, ihmo it get's small sounding. I have seen this with a lot of players that are primarly
    used to hi gain preamp design's the OD will "feels" better with some satuation for softer picking technique's like eddie. These amps have a ton of gain but do feel differrent then a D-style amp like a TR or Fuch's ODS. VDG

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I didn't like the OD pedal clips either. I never can understand why people take an amp that has loads of gain already and put an OD pedal in front of it. That ruins the basic tone and character of the amp IMHO. The only time I can see it being of any use is if you need it to get the OD or gain that you need at at much lower volume. But I wouldn't think this would be the case with the L7. Any way.. yeah I dig Eddie's playing too. I wish he would do some BJ21 clips already!:)

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

BJ 21 is definitely not a TR or D-style amp.

It was modeled after the Trainwreck amps of yesterday. I've heard the Trainwrecks described as Plexi Marshalls with more gain. Given that, I think Andy had 'dirty' on his mind more than 'clean' headroom with this one, but I could be wrong.

I decided on the Lucky 7 for that reason... dirty!

10. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Yes i think most of us know that, fretmaster and I are refering to the use of a boost or OD box to induce the feel of a saturated
    compressed preamp stage of an amp like a dumble style amp, and that personal player preference differ's with all of us.

I Own and use a Fuchs T-45 as well as a Komet, and have used recorded with many wreck's, they produce a lot of OD, but "respond and feel" very different then a D-style amp, which In
    conversation eddie told me he prefer's. We should include the Fuch's ODS in eddie's favored amps. VDG

11. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

No, no 21 clips at fuch's or IDS. I will see if andy will let me remedy
    that :) The "7" is close as all of the single ch fuch's are, but from talking with andy It does have a somewhat different sound. (different tranny's/ tube class etc) I have a feeling it's a sleeper. VDG

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Unfortunately, some people just seem to assume that the L-7, BJ-21 are somehow "baby ODS's". It's not like the website alludes to this, I think it makes pretty clear where their root's are.

I believe Richie (at our shop) spoke with this guy at great length about this particular amp. Although he claimed to "love it" he wanted it revoiced to sound closer to an ODS custom 20 clip he heard on a dealer's website. The Train-45, and it's little brothers are NOT designed nor intended to be baby ODS's.

Gregg: I'll try to kick ya a 21 to play with then we can spare one.

13. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Sound good! put in a few band oriented clip's and see how it sit's in the mix. Anything like the T-45 it's will kill. the 45 is one of the rare amps that you can go straight to media/tape without the need for EQ fixing, for a engineer it's a big deal. kudo's andy! love the 45! VDG

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

for the record: I never inquired with anyone about having one of these voiced like an ODS20. I don't particularly care for the ODS20 to be honest. This amp interested me specifically because it was more in line with the "Trainwreck" / "Marshall Plexi" camp of tone and character NOT the ODS camp. I don't waste time trying to make a different amp sound like something else. I buy what I want to start with which is why I was trying to confirm more clearly what to expect from the BJ21. Try to be more certain as to whom you are talking about before you make statements concerning them.:rolleyes:

15. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've heard all 3(7, 21, and 45) and played the 21 and 45. Both were really good, but for my tastes, I liked the 45 a bit more. It was a bit more aggressive and had more girth to the tone.
    All 3 are great sounding though. It just depends on how loud, and aggressive you need.

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Man oh man... where is my Lucky 7? Hopefully is comes to my doorstep soon!!

17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Hey Fretmaster, the post started with "I believe". If it wasn't you, then please accept my sincere apologies. We've gotten more than one call on the topic.

18. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

No matter how you slice it, "more power is more gooder". I played with the exact same preamp circuits in all three amps, and they all ended up being tuned slightly different, to better match the power level they had available. Theres just something about more cajones.....

19. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Your sick and twisted, but in a good way andy!! VDG

20. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

So who else has heard this amp?

Anybody played one at a gig?

Who owns one?

Comments, thoughts, stock market tips? :D

How do they sound with a stock strat?

Any speaker cab/configuration recommendations?
    (I'm thinking of going with an open-back 2X12)

Thanks.