Fuchs Blasphemy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by devbro, May 23, 2006.

1. devbro

devbro Member

I know this is considered heresy on this board so please be gentle with me, but has anyone else been unable to get the Fuchs ODS to work for them? I bought an ODS50 SLX and tinkered with it until I was blue in the face and just couldn’t get the sound I wanted. Granted, I’m not a fusion player but I somehow thought that it would be the end-all amp. I liked the drive channel, but couldn’t get the clean headroom I needed. I finally traded it to a fellow TGP member for an OD100 and some cash and I’ve never been happier. There, I’ve confessed and I feel better already.

2. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

If you couldn't get enough clean headroom out of a 50 watt amp like the Fuchs I guess going to a 100 watter makes sense. Did you try a 100 watt Fuchs first?

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I'm with you. but in a weird way.

I actualy still love the sounds of a Fuchs, but it wasn't for me.

We are recording a 5 song EP at a record company and they had a FUCHs 100 head. Our first round of recording I used that amp. At the time I thought it sounded great. But after a week we went back to the recordings and the sound, though hi-fi and rather good, had no lower mid gut shot. There wasn't that gutteral growl and thickness that a rock/ pop/rock guitar should have. I thought it was all in my head then I went to listen to Kenny Wayne's newest album where all he used was Fuchs heads...and I realized thats the reason I'm not so fond of his new sound...no gut shot of thickness.

There was a budda there...used that... loved it...bought one and Haven't looked back.

I really think there are different tones for each person but the Fuchs (and probably no amp) is ever the end-all. People on this board tend to lean towards the fusion/ sustain bluesy note for days folks and they see the Fuchs as their end all because thats the way they play. Can the FUchs do rock? YES... is it the best for rock.>> probably not...;)

attack if you must, but I think I make a good point.

EDIT: BTW, wanted to mention how FREAKING cool the internet is.... do you realize a guy on the West coast was responded by a guy on the East coast and then by a guy smack dab in the middle of the country withing seconds of each other... that is really cool to me.

4. devbro

devbro Member

I thought about the ODS100 and maybe it would have helped but no matter what I did with the 50, to get headroom I had to turn up the gain on channel 1 and sacrifice the clean. I think it's the way that channel 1 is the first gain stage for channel 2. I tried different tubes, bias, speakers, internal trim pots and was almost ready to take the leap and do some mods before I came to my senses. Maybe I was just a square peg in a round hole and like Jubilee said, I need a rock amp that will do clean. I do allot of comping as well as chords and it seemed like it was more geared to strictly lead.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had an ODS100 SLX, could never get any tone that really knocked me out, not even the cleans. I thought the Bruno Super 100 was much better. For what I like, the Suhr OD100 Classic is perfect.

6. shoe

shoe Member

I think the lead sound on the ODS is just great. It was the dirty-rhythm that didn't work for me. If I could get the smoothness of the ODS's ch2 in boost mode with the MID engaged in my OD100, I'd be in heaven....

I think at the end of the day, based on your style you're effectively in one camp or the other. I grew up in the "Marshall" camp and have always leaned towards amps that start there. I love a great clean sound and adore the boosted overdrive of the ODS, but since I play rhythm more than I play lead, that has helped me make my choice thus far....

7. brianf

brianf Member

You are not alone. Another Guitar forum I'm on has players who are not that impressed with Fuchs product or mods.

brianf

8. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

I agree 100%. It makes all the difference in the world when gear comparisions are made in context with what kind of music people dig. Good post.

Scott L.

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Nothing is all things to all people. Just because it wasn't your dream amp, doesn't mean it wasn't the next guy's Grail amp.

S'all good. Glad you got an amp that floats your boat!:AOK

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I bet the "lower mid gut shot" sound y'all talk about could be had quite well just by adding the right pedal to the ODS. Though if another amp gets the sound alone, then you just have more choices.

Similarly, you can get better Marshall sounds out of a Mesa with a good pedal than by trying to tweek a Mesa amp.

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I've never owned or been that interested in the whole Dumble inspired thing.

However, I've thought about trying a Dumblish amp from time to time to see what the buzz is about, but if I did it would not be a Fuchs based upon my readings here over the years.

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

Definitely. Sometimes you also have to prioritise what you need the most. To me good distorted rhythm tones (think AC/DC to Iron Maiden and Ozzy) and lead tones (the singing Gary Moore/Santana/Slash type tone) are more important than great cleans or low gain blues tones. I also need to get them without channel switching because I like switching between leads and rhythm seamlessly. I've tried plenty of amps that work for one or the other, for example I thought the Mad Professor sounded absolutely perfect for the rhythm tones and good for cleans, but for the life of me I couldn't get a fat singing lead tone out of it. Marshalls have worked best, but their problem has been crap master volumes..they just don't deliver until they're way too loud and then you have to choke the tone with attenuators.

I've never tried Fuchs amps but based on what I've heard they're not for me either. They seem to be aimed at the fusion crowd which isn't my thing at all. There are so many different amps available these days that it's getting hard to choose what to get, especially because you can't try most of them before buying.

13. devbro

devbro Member

There are also allot of other variables in the equation I should have mentioned like guitar, cables, pedals, style, etc. My main guitar is a Suhr Classic so maybe a good set of buckers may have been different but my PRS was equally as unimpressive. I use Mogami 2524, a very low capacitance cable which allows highs to penetrate. I'm also not a "string beater". My attack is fairly mild and more controlled. As far as pedals, I tried the Zen, Timmy, FDII, MOS and a host of others as well as clean boosts. In the end, not mu cup of tea.

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

If you base your judgment on what you are reading here or even the majority of the Fuchs sound clips posted here you're making a grave over sight. I am an old "plexi" junkie. Have been for over 30 yrs. 99% of the clips I've heard of the Fuchs, while very good IMHO, did nothing to make me want to own one since the majority of them are not in a style or tone settings anywhere close to what or how I play. It wasn't until I had a chance to play an ODS30SLX first hand with my guitars and cabs and spending some time familiarizing myself with the tone stack and how all the settings interacted that I began to truly realize how incredible these amps truly are. My settings are probably vastly different than the majority of guys here since the majority of Fuchs owners are jazz players. I'm a classic to hard rocker and a major blues freak. I use strats, Les Pauls, PRS's, EBMM EVH's and even 7 stringers. I use Celestion Blue speakers, G12H30's, Vintage 30's and G12M25's. I list these to illustrate the fact that my gear is very much rock / blues in nature NOT jazz by any means.

What I am getting that I love so much from my Fuchs amps (ODS30SLX and TDS100) is some of the most incredibly searing hot lead tones I've ever heard WITHOUT the nasty buzziness or fizz that I associate with most high gain Marshall or other wise type amps. And a rich harmonic complexity that few amp I've ever played could produce. I've owned the Suhr OD100SH, Bogners, all kinds of Marshalls and too many other amps to begin to name and none have ever done what the Fuchs does. The point being that if you're trying to dead on nail a plexi tone with the Fuchs forget it. It's NOT a plexi. If you're trying to nail the Dumble tone it IS that and then some. But for me what it is is a killer variation with the best attributes of both. I approached the Fuchs with "my" tone in mind and I love the tonal ground I've discovered with it. And FWIW I've used them to cover rock gigs on a few occasions now and in the mix they are some of the most incredible sounding amps ever made IMHO. And will easily cover most any tone more than close enough to work in most any cover band. And yes I still love plexis but the Fuchs are definitely some of the best amps made IMHO.

just my .02

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Alot of rock players check into Dumble style amps, and check out right away. Fuchs, Two Rock, it doesn't matter.

They aren't marshalls, and can't be made to be.... I tried hard to make them that way, and failed. heheh.

16. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I never understood why people buy certain gear and try to make it into a different piece of gear than it is. If I want chicken for dinner, buying a piece of salmon and putting a chicken flavored marinade on it isn't gonna work for me. Just my 2 cents.

:nono

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've tried a few Fuch's ODS's over the years and there's just something about its basic tone that just doesn't sound really good to me. But I realize that doesn't mean it's not a great amp -- and it's probably someone's perfect amp. There are plenty of amps that folks have raved about on this forum that sound bad to me.

18. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I love the sound of everyone else playing dumble inspired amps, except myself. :eek:

jon

19. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Anyone who ever heard me play knows I am the antithesis of a fusion player.
    I tried a few Marshall inspired amps, and although I like them and they conjure up plenty of good memories of my youth, they didn't have the tone or response I am looking for now.
    The Fuchs ODS SLX50 works great for me and covers alot of sonic ground in my limited vocabulary. It certainly isn't for everybody. Neither is a Dumble, or a Suhr or many other amps.
    By the way, I really dig the cleans on the Fuchs, and have no problem achieving great balance between the cleans and the overdrive channel without messing up the cleans. And when in OD mode I play very gainy, but my cleans are just that.
    Different strokes.

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I've found over time that Wreck style amps cover much of what I want a Dumble and a Marshall to be.

I love the sustain and bloom of a Dumble amp. I love the gain and kerrang of a Marshall. A Wreck style amp has both.

Notice Tag's quote of Scottl in his sig "I had the horrible, dry, nasty marshall tone, and I was totally disgusted!". Well, lots of guys SHOOT FOR THAT!

It gets back to what a previous poster said, choosing the right amp for the application. Your application.