Fuchs Clean / OD

princeton

Member
Messages
329
Hello, from what i've heard in the soundclips on the internet i think the Fuchs ODS30 could be a perfect amp for me, but:
Is it possible to set all the switches and knobs so that you have a good clean and overdrive sound when using the footswitch.
I like a clean bright sound and a dark overdrive sound

Opinions ?

Greetings

alfred
Holland
 

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
41,080
Originally posted by princeton
Hello, from what i've heard in the soundclips on the internet i think the Fuchs ODS30 could be a perfect amp for me, but:
Is it possible to set all the switches and knobs so that you have a good clean and overdrive sound when using the footswitch.
I like a clean bright sound and a dark overdrive sound

Opinions ?

Greetings

alfred
Holland

Yes. For the most flexiblity, order one with the internal trimmers. (Not sure if they are stock or not) You can make the drive channel as bright or as dark as you want, totally independent of the clean channel. Call Fuchs and tell him what you want.
 

deeval

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,172
My ODS 30 was made in 8-04 and it is non SLX but they do have the trimmers inside,
The amp can be made as Clean an bright as you want and very flexable to work the OD channel as dark and overdriven as you care to, if you want almost a Metal sound it can do it and then clean up nice.
 

SteveK

Member
Messages
1,091
The internal trimmers are stock, and an integral component in "goosing" the amp to your individual taste. Just an aside...while some swear that the SLX voicing is superior, and all production amps are shipping that way, all my Fuchs are "pre-SLX". Andy offered me the opportunity to try them with the SLX mod, but they are perfect FOR ME without it, and I was afraid that I'd lose some of the mojo that is already abundant in all my Fuchs amps. These are wonderfully musical amps, and should be able to do what you're looking for. :D
 

Boomer

Member
Messages
1,911
Just a thought ... in the ODS30, the clean and drive channel share tone controls, so it's a delicate balancing act to get the best out of both. If you can make the jump to 50 watts, the TDS offers two independent sets of tone controls, one for the clean channel and the other for the "other" clean channel and drive channel (just like an ODS). That will give you the ability to tweak your clean to perfection and then have a clean/crunchy channel and a luscious drive channel.

Just a thought that might get you all the flexibility you need.

HTH
 

trisonic

Member
Messages
13,152
I was wondering about that too, considering the ODS only has one set of tone controls. However the TDS scares me - I own a MkIV!

Too many options vs kiss?

Best, Pete.
 

jimirulz

Member
Messages
7
I agree with SteveK...I have tried SLX versions, but still prefer my 100 watt non SLX (2003)..It is the perfect rock machine...Though I am excited about the Trippledrive!!!
 

Boomer

Member
Messages
1,911
Originally posted by trisonic
I was wondering about that too, considering the ODS only has one set of tone controls. However the TDS scares me - I own a MkIV!

Too many options vs kiss?

Best, Pete.
A Mark IV control panel makes my head hurt (27 knobs and switches?).

The TDS just adds one more set of tone controls affecting channel one with the other contols working the way the original ODS did, controlling only channel two and three. Nowhere near the complexity of a Mk IV.

Steve
 

trisonic

Member
Messages
13,152
I'm going to be simplifying my life.............
On the ODS is it possible to set it up for Clean thru tone stack, Overdrive by-passing tone stack - without jumping on two switches at once?

Thanks, Pete.
 

Boomer

Member
Messages
1,911
Originally posted by trisonic
I'm going to be simplifying my life.............
On the ODS is it possible to set it up for Clean thru tone stack, Overdrive by-passing tone stack - without jumping on two switches at once?
Thanks, Pete.
You'll have to wait for an answer from Andy or Scott on that one. Youu want to talk about the website, I'm your guy ... you want to talk about tonestacks and switching ... I'm not! :(

Steve
 

Fuchsaudio

Member
Messages
7,771
Originally posted by trisonic
I'm going to be simplifying my life.............
On the ODS is it possible to set it up for Clean thru tone stack, Overdrive by-passing tone stack - without jumping on two switches at once?

Thanks, Pete.
This could be done with a minor modification to the switching. If you have (or get) an artist style footswitch, a small toggle switch could be added to link (or not) these two functions onto one switch.

BTW: It's easier to think of the TDS as a more elaborate style ODS. I prefer to run it as a 2-channel amp, with the new clean channel as the clean side, and OD channel beign run any way you like it, and you easily switch back and forth.

While it could be run as three channels: it's nice for a 1) rhythm/loud 2) solo clean or 3) solo/OD), but it really answers those critics of the original humble style topology IMHO.

It seems some guys like the clean in the rock setting, the OD in the jazz setting, the boosts on or off etc...... What's really cool on the TDS is going from sparkling "california blackface clean" to stupid gainiac dirty, with no twiddling of knobs or pulling of pots to do it.
 

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
41,080
Originally posted by Fuchsaudio
This could be done with a minor modification to the switching. If you have (or get) an artist style footswitch, a small toggle switch could be added to link (or not) these two functions onto one switch.

BTW: It's easier to think of the TDS as a more elaborate style ODS. I prefer to run it as a 2-channel amp, with the new clean channel as the clean side, and OD channel beign run any way you like it, and you easily switch back and forth.

While it could be run as three channels: it's nice for a 1) rhythm/loud 2) solo clean or 3) solo/OD), but it really answers those critics of the original humble style topology IMHO.

It seems some guys like the clean in the rock setting, the OD in the jazz setting, the boosts on or off etc...... What's really cool on the TDS is going from sparkling "california blackface clean" to stupid gainiac dirty, with no twiddling of knobs or pulling of pots to do it.
Hey Andy.
That sounds like it may be the most flexible sounding amp ever. I find my "regular" Fuchs modded Fender to be as flexible on the fly as any amp I have owned, and Ive owned a LOT! Lol!
The three channel model (IMO) would be the answer to many, many guys prayers. I can imagine a totally BF clean, with a nice crunch in the "regular" clean. That would be enough to send the overdrive channel into insane amounts of gain. I actually find I can set up mine with a great clean, and STILL have insane amounts of gain though. There is just TONS of gain available in these amps.
 

Tom Gross

OG Forum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Messages
6,161
Yeah, that does sound like a great flexible solution.
At home I run thru a loooper pedal with my Holland for BF clean, the Fuchs mod clean for pushed D-Style clean, and Fuchs mod ch2 + bypass for the all-out lead tone. A cool rig, but it would be a lot better in 1 amp.
 




Top