Fuchs estimates 3-5 months supply of tubes

gls500

Silver Supporting Member
Of-course, all the calls to arms about "making tubes in murica" and the "Brimar factory being restarted are once-again" are coming to the surface, neither of which seem plausible.

I am aware of a few people (claiming) they have tube making equipment in the USA in storage. Nobody knows what kind of shape they are in (since they haven't been used since the 80's), nor if there is anyone qualified to operate that machinery...

Not only that, but most of us on here, and most of those that are buying lots of tubes and tube amps, are getting into the dinosaur phase and beyond. The next generation(s) that are making music with guitar on instagram, youtube, tiktok, etc have been making it successfully without tube amps for some time now. I'd guess that they generally think tube amps are cool, but if they disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt them at all in making music and they wouldn't miss it like we would.

And if you accept that what I wrote above is true, does it make sense to invest to tool up for a market that will probably continue to decline?

AintNoEddie

what does everybody change their tubes every week ???
I don't get it...
If an amp builder like Fuchs is worried about tube supply, it is a valid concern. So it's not about changing tubes like underwear, but about keeping the production running. Unlike for private users it's not really an option chasing lots of different stores/sources or go to eBay and hope for good NOS tubes. The higher the production numbers, the worse the situation is.

On the other hand it might be - speculation on my side! - that, like in other industries, the big players get prioritized + the bigger portion of available/remaining products (tubes), and the smaller companies can only hope to get some pieces of the cake as well.

@gulliver I like your idea! It will work for many TGP users for sure, but I have my doubts with the majority of "typical" buyers. Speaking of myself - yeah, I'd rather get the amp sonner without tubes than hope for a surprise delivery of tubes from Russina :)

harleytech

If an amp builder like Fuchs is worried about tube supply, it is a valid concern. So it's not about changing tubes like underwear, but about keeping the production running. Unlike for private users it's not really an option chasing lots of different stores/sources or go to eBay and hope for good NOS tubes. The higher the production numbers, the worse the situation is.

On the other hand it might be - speculation on my side! - that, like in other industries, the big players get prioritized + the bigger portion of available/remaining products (tubes), and the smaller companies can only hope to get some pieces of the cake as well.

@gulliver I like your idea! It will work for many TGP users for sure, but I have my doubts with the majority of "typical" buyers. Speaking of myself - yeah, I'd rather get the amp sonner without tubes than hope for a surprise delivery of tubes from Russina :)
Thats ok, I don't buy their amps anyway...

Vegas_Matt

Not only that, but most of us on here, and most of those that are buying lots of tubes and tube amps, are getting into the dinosaur phase and beyond. The next generation(s) that are making music with guitar on instagram, youtube, tiktok, etc have been making it successfully without tube amps for some time now. I'd guess that they generally think tube amps are cool, but if they disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt them at all in making music and they wouldn't miss it like we would.

And if you accept that what I wrote above is true, does it make sense to invest to tool up for a market that will probably continue to decline?
That could be true, but the nonsense with Russian could be resolved and the market stabilized before a US plant even opened its doors, and that's assuming someone was already lining up the dominoes to make it happen.

Opening a factory at the height of market instability is not the kind of thing a smart venture capitalist would do.

NitroLiq

Thats ok, I don't buy their amps anyway...

That's not even the point. Any company that builds tube amps—from factory to boutique to the individual—have a finite amount of tube surplus, some more than others, but finite, nonetheless and will be affected to some degree. Same with vendors that supply tubes. You either have a situation where companies can't get tubes from whatever vendors they use or prices go up. Or, you get individuals scrambling to buy up everything on EBAY or whatever....and folks start upselling already pricey NOS tubes.

aynirar27

Meka Hiney Ho
Platinum Supporting Member
B3A591F0-9A3A-466C-95A2-074982834B60.jpeg

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I say we push the Tube Apocalypse narrative until I can get a vintage Hiwatt for under a grand.
Please?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
My rather obvious idea to builders, is to offer your customer an amp purchase option, without tubes, at a discounted rate. Most of us who buy at the high-end have plenty of tubes sitting around, and the ability to bias without zapping ourselves.

Just a thought.

How much of a discount, though? $100?

If I’m a builder I’d rather ship with a fully functioning product than putting it in the hands of someone who may or may not actually know what they’re doing to get it up and running with components I’ve never laid eyes on.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
How much of a discount, though? $100?

If I’m a builder I’d rather ship with a fully functioning product than putting it in the hands of someone who may or may not actually know what they’re doing to get it up and running with components I’ve never laid eyes on.

Ceriatone charges $135 less, so you're right, not a huge savings. As prices go up, I do see that difference increase, though.

I think it would be easy to vet customers, though, to make sure they know how to tube/bias the amp. I think a lot of customers would do it just to help out. It might extend a 3 - 5 month tube supply to 6 - 10 months.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Not true.

I’ve been a hazardous materials compliance professional for the past 25 years - in California nonetheless - and I can assure you that exposure and release controls are available to make the industry legal, safe & possible.

Yes

Thanks Al. & howdy my friend!

I like reading your posts...............cause you never hazardous a guess. :aok ;)

:p

:beer

Trending Topics

Top Bottom