Fuchs Lucky 7 and Fargen Miniplex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RGB, Dec 21, 2005.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Can anyone with experience with both of these amps help me with a comparison? I realize the Fargen has more features, a little more power and a bigger price tag, but based solely on having listened to online clips of both, the Fuchs is the winner hands down, in my opinion.

I know sometimes these online clips have to be taken with a grain of salt, so I'm looking for some real world experience here.

I've already bought the Fuchs, (it will be here Friday), but I'm still curious and I have no way to try these rigs out except to order them and return them if I don't like them. Gets a little expensive in shipping charges after awhile!

2. myles111

myles111 Member

This is a hard call as they are both great amps. It is going to be personal taste and preference and I would try to play with each of the amps. Asking folks in here for advice is cool on one hand but in the end you you let somebody from here pick your next car?

You cannot go wrong in either case but they are very different amps.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i had a Lucky 7. What a great amp! Lots of gain on tap, very Marshally pushed tone. You can also get some great on the edge of breakup tones. Don't be fooled, the Fuchs has a LOUD 7 watts. With a 4x12 it easily kept up with my full hard rock band, it was even a bit loud! I haven't tried the Fargen, but I think you'll be happy with it. I don't know what sound/style you are going for though.

4. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Descriptions of the differences are what I'm after here. I will definitely make my own decision, but hopefully I will be as informed as possible with a little help from my friends.

Maybe it would help to add that I really love my '81 JMP 50 watter's crunch tones and the Fuchs clips sounded very much like that where the Fargen sounded a little more ratty.....and it's understood that the clips give a very limited idea of the capabilities of these amps.

5. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I had a Fargen Miniplex that sounded awesome through my 4x12, so I bought it on the spot (used off a buddy). From there it was inconsistent to me. Good 'n' tough sounding one day, "ratty" (good word for it) the next. After three consecutive "ratty" sessions I moved it along. Ultimately it didn't have enough gain for me.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I appreciate the volume info for the L7, as I was wondering about whether it could keep up with a drummer in a club setting. I'll find out for myself Friday night anyway, but it's good to hear.

Thanks!

7. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

^^^let me know. im looking to buy one also but wondering about volume. how loud is it cranked?

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've never tried the Fuchs, but I have a Mini-Plex. I personally wanted a raw sound, as I was searching for the sound of my 100-watt Marshalls in a small package. The Fargen doesn't have a huge amount of gain on tap, but that's alright because I have a whole pile of pedals to add gain. The base rhythm sound is exactly what I wanted, gritty and raw in a very Marshall-y way.

Fargen clip

This is a clip I made the day after I got the Fargen. I've had a chance since then to swap tubes and dial it in a bit better, but it'll give you a feel for how it sounds. I hope to make a couple of new clips in the very near future.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'm wondering if the Fargen was inconsistent in just one room, or if it was cool in one room and "ratty" in another. I know no matter which rig I take out, different rooms need different tones, volume and eq.

gtp23, I'll be sure to let you know. The room I'm in Friday is particularly cavernous and usually doesn't require much volume.....hence my interest in these low wattage rigs. I bought my Maz 18 jr in hope that I could heat 'er up a bit in these kind of rooms, but I still only use about 1/4-1/2 power to balance the stage. I should add that I'm always mic'd up, though.

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thanks for the clip, Mike! I think your clip sounds similar to the clips on the Fargen site and it's a little too gritty for my taste. I really like a bigger low end with a little less hair for rythym tones and then I'll use my Vaughn's mods TS9 (my favorite pedal), or Zendrive, (or a combo of the two), for leadwork. Much more along the lines of Angus and Malcolm. That's the way the L7 sounds to me on Eddie's clips (w/o the BB kicked in). The Fargen seems to sound more modern Marshall-y to me. It's a MV head, right?

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be that gritty, it was a new (to me anyway) amp and I always tend to turn everything up to 10 at the start and work down from there... :D

Check your PMs, by the way...

12. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

RGB are you micing it?

13. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Yeah, my rig is always mic'd up no matter what I'm using. Our entire stage is always mic'd. I prefer to balance my volume to the stage volume...monitors are usually separate vocal mixes only...and let the sound guy use the system to fill out the sound. I usually don't need to crank at most venues....once in a while at an outdoor festival, but I mostly have a pretty sane stage level....I should add that this band is a power trio, so no guitar volume wars. Another band that I play with is a southern rock tribute kinda thing with two and sometimes three guitars, but all of us are very volume aware with no ego problems...(thank God!)

....oh and thanks for your help, Mike....from one cheesehead to another!...I'm in Menasha in the Fox Valley...