Fuchs Lucky 7 or Bad Cat Mini Cat II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

If you had to choose one, which would you go with?

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

No contest...the L7 wins, hands down!.....(my opinion). The Lucky 7 is a real, giggable rig, where the mini cat struck me as more of a practice amp. I returned the mini cat after about 2 hours of play time. Just wasn't for me.

3. Ryan

Ryan Member

I'm really torn right now. I found a great deal on a L7, then another good deal on a Blackjack 21, and then a Mini Cat II. All for about the same coin. The 21 is obviously the loudest of the bunch, and the most giggable. I like that the Mini Cat is a 112 and has master volume. I don't like that the L7 and B21 are heads (in this case), and don't have master. Plus, I've heard the Mini Cat described as Voxy, and I'm more of a Vox guy than Marshall.

4. Ryan

Ryan Member

BTW, I'd be running through a 2x12 cab. So, the 1x8 L7 combo or the 1x12 MiniCat combo doesn't make a huge difference.

5. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I tried an L7 somewhat recently. I ended up going with a BadCat...but it was a full scale deal, 50 watts, heavy as a sack of lead....

If the mini cat has 'the badcat' tone, then I would say go for it. I think that the BadCat 'thing' is more versatile than the Fuchs 'thing' when you are talking smaller amps, now if you start talking the ODS series versus the larger BadCats......

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

I've only ever used single-channel amps, so I rely on different guitars, effects, and me for getting different sounds. 20 watts is the most powerful one I've had to date, and it's ridiculously loud. I don't need my amp to be super loud, it's going to be mic'd at church, and if I ever get around to playing out elsewhere, it'll probably be mic'd there too.

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Ryan, if you like, a dealer can order a Blackjack-21 or Lucky-7 with a master volume as an option. It would be rear mounted, but you can get it.

8. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

Go for the L7.

I tried the Lucky 7 and loved it. It had incredibly toneful cleans and with Fulltone pedals the OD was sweet. I struggled to choose between it and the ODS 30 but because I had a low watt amp already....

I tried the Mini-cat and did not like it.

9. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I've got a BJ21 and with a THD Hotplate, the full value of the amps breakup character is easily pulled out at any reasonable volume. The amp takes pedals beautifully.

The L7 will obviously give you the character difference of 6v6 and EL34 as well as the qualities of Class A design. This might get you close enough to Vox territory.

the BJ21 is Class AB

the tone controls also REALLY work...

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of the Fuchs models...

BTW, I have NOT played the Mini Cat... YMMV:AOK

10. Ryan

Ryan Member

Seems to be a lot of praise for the Fuchs. 21 watts is probably more than I need. Cranking the L7 through my 2x12 will be plenty loud, I'm sure. I think I'll give the L7 a shot!

11. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I love my Lucky 7 through a 4x12 and single coils. Fabulous crunch, classic rock and AC/DC tones inside the little bugger. Giggable, if your drummer has a light touch and you don't need much headroom or you're mic'd. I haven't tried the Bad cat.

12. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

I have found the Badcat to be great for recording and as for performing , micing it seem to sound great.

13. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I play my L7 thru a 2x12 and use an attenuator with it, unmic'd. And our drummer is extremely loud. The small places we play it works perfectly, but would definitely need to be mic'd if the room was much bigger. I use the attenuator just to control volume if I need to, cause the L7 sounds the best dimed. Put a clean boost in front of it, and it is a monster!!! It gets some really nice cleans by rolling off the guitars volume too.

14. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

how much do the lucky 7 amps go for ?

15. Ryan

Ryan Member

Holy blast from the past, haha. I never ended up getting the L7, but used ones do $600-800.

16. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Well- you can get the new Mark2 Lucky 7 head with 2 channels, reverb, (and killer overdrives on channel 2) ( boosts on either channel )- they will be out soon.

17. toneboy

toneboy Member

also,the 4 aces will be out soon.
    clean and dirt channel with reverb,and 4 watts.

18. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'd go with the L7 because it's EL34. Just like 'em better than EL84's. Do like EL84's, make no mistake. Jes' like EL34's better. Bigger... cleaner... bigger cleans, iow.