Fuchs Lucky 7 vs Star Nova

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeP, Aug 2, 2005.

1. MikeP

MikeP Member

Which do you folks think would make a better Bedroom Only amp? Use would be with single coils strat & tele type guitars. Mainly blues type tone. Sweet with some sustain & touch response again at low volume bedroom only levels

The clips on the Fuch sound nice but were mainly done with humbuckers & seem to be at above bedroom volumes. Although it does have the ability to swap tubes to a 6v6 & lower wattage.

The Star has line out & headphones out & that would be a nice feature for bedroom recording.

Does anyone have pics of the insides of these amps? Build quality trannies size etc.?

Priced about the same.

What do you folks think?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Boomer

Boomer Member

My L7 shipped yesterday so I hope to have some play time on it by the weekend. I have a Suhr S/S/H, a 335 and a Dano. We'll see how it reacts to all of them.

As far as bedroom amps, 5 to 7 watts is still very loud as I found with my Univalve. I have a Hotplate shipping today also, so that might make the cut turning the L7 into a true bedroom amp. I don't think using a 6V6 instead of an EL34 will have much, if any, effect on volume although I'd guess the 6V6 would start to break up a bit sooner.

Almost every boutique amp made is available around here, but I've never seen a Star in the flesh.

HTH

3. MikeP

MikeP Member

Thanks Boomer
    I agree that 5-7 watts is still way loud for bedroom.
    Heck I built a 1/2 watt Gilmore Jr. & even that I dont play wide open (but close) ;) It is actually a great amp but I'm just a gear nut. I built a 18w Marshall clone. Beautiful amp but I never turned it above 0-2 on the vol. So sold it to someone who can use it properly.

Mainly I am just looking for a super rich tone at a low volume.
    Sparkle & touch response.

I can always use a pedal up front for breakup & dont mind that.

Let me know how you like that L7

Thanks,
    Mike

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Even 1w is loud for bedroom purposes, as a rule of thumb 1w into an efficient speaker is as loud as a trumpet played flat out.

If you want to play at very low volume I'd recommend an attenuator.

6. MikeP

MikeP Member

I have tried all attenuators & it just didn't do it for me.
    Your right about volume though.
    But for me it is just a matter of having *tone* at a low volume.

For instance that 1/2 watt is real nice & has tone.
    I also play a 22watt deluxe reverb on 2-3 & it is fine that quiet because it still has tone & well the reverb helps I'm sure ;)

Thanks

7. Boomer

Boomer Member

The solution is a nice master volume amp like the Lucky 7's Grandfather, an ODS-30 or a new TDS. They sound terriffic at bedroom levels and really shine when let loose. Of course the price jumps up slightly! :D

8. Phloored

Phloored Member

Get yourself a good old tube amp and have a tech spend an hour to hook up one of these

these

9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I took the plunge and bought a Lucky 7 not too long ago, it has been the best gear purchase I have made in a long long time. I use it in my bedroom/house exclusively and I am amazed every time I play by the great tone and versitility. It is very pedal friendly, one thing that I have never had the pleasure of being able to do with any amp, is set the effect level low and still retain the tone of the amp. I am using a fulldrive 2 and a PRS McCarty and it is blues heaven (I set the volume at about 10 o'clock and use the old tried and true attenuator "pillow" in front of the cab grill to bring it down to conversational levels), I can get great rock tones as well in the plexi realm (think UFO to Dokken) when I add an OCD. The headroom is pretty amazing as well considering the wattage of the amp, the tone controls are very effective, I play this amp through a 1x12 mesa cab with a g1280 and the low end is amazing (bass on about 10 o'clock).

Just my .02

I am really interested to see if everyone else that has purchased one is impressed as I am with the amp. I really cant say enough about how good the amp is....:)

10. MikeP

MikeP Member

Thanks talkshow
    Nice to hear from someone who has one & is also a bedroom player.
    So you said 10 oclock on the volume.
    I notice in the pics that is just called gain? So 10oclock would be less than half open? At that your able to bring the volume to conversational level with the pillow trick ;)
    That speaks well of something that may work for me.
    hmmmmmm

I am trying to decide between this & the Star but leaning this way as I always prefer heads. I have my own speakers & the shipping is way less for me out here.

Thanks again & I hope I hear a bit more from others as you said.

One last Q.......... would you happen to have any pics of the inside or the workmanship? I would really like to see the trannies & the wiring. I know they have a great reputation though so I am betting it is clean.

Thanks again!
    Mike

11. trucks

trucks Member

I tried a Star Nova and it sounded amazing cranked (too loud for a bedroom); however, I was not impressed with it turned down to a reasonable level. It sounded "small." I believe this was due to the 10" speaker. I also was not that crazy about the cleans.

The L7 from what I have heard seems to have a full range from nice clean headroom (which does seem amazing for the wattage) to nice distortion and singing with a good od. I am intrigued and seriously considering one.

I do have a couple of low wattage amps and, IMHO, I prefer to practice with a tube amp even at low, low volume with less than perfect tone because it still is touch sensitive and "alive." Still I am on the same "tone quest" as you. Luckily, my practice room does allow me to open up a bit more than I could in the bedroom.

I am really thinking a Fuchs is in my future, but I did not need to hear this:

It may cost me more than I thought!:p

12. MACS93EG

MACS93EG Member

Hope to see Fedex walk through the door at Verizon Wireless where I work with a Fuchs Audio Box with my "LUCKY 7" by this
    Friday!!

I will be playing it mostly at home in my apartment so I will
    definitely be able to give up the goods on its ability to be played
    at bedroom playing levels!!

I got a chance to hear Andy's ODS-20,30,50 and 100 watt
    heads through one of his 2X12 open-back cabs!! They all
    sound fantastic!!

I will be driving my "L7" through a Dr.Z-2X10 cabinet!!

Michael Lewis had a purple ODS-30 that had been specially
    voiced/tweaked to his tonal request by Andy that just
    sounded magical!!

I will be getting one of these to handle the higher output
    levels that I might need to cover when I am lucky enough
    to really open up at a jam or gig!!

Mac :dude

13. Occam

Occam Member

At very low volumes I'd honestly rather use a decent little practice amp like my Orange crush or a cheap modeler....my Matamp C7 is way too loud for TV levels...at least when it comes to souding good.

14. tbar

tbar Member

I just recently purchased a used Emery Micro Baby from someone on this board , and it's working out great for me as a bedroom
    amp , i can use it with different cabs and change tubes for different sounds , much more versitale that the nova

15. rabbit

rabbit Member

Hi, i´ve got two questions that are about the same topic:

1. Did one of you guys try the Lucky7 in a band situation already?

I´ve heard that (as a rule) 5 watts can be nearly as loud as 50 watts.
    So I´m wondering how loud it really gets and whether it´s suitable for band work? Any dB measuring available by chance?

2. How does the amp "feel"? Does it sound thin because of "only" 7 watts, or does it sound similar to a higher wattage amp that is cranked but not as loud?

Hope this interaction does not sound to selfish. Might be some interesting info for others as well... thanks

16. Boomer

Boomer Member

Five watts are half as loud as fifty watts.

My L7 should be here Friday so I can probably answer questions a bit after that.

I had a Univalve and it was loud enough to play with a band if you don't have a loud drummer and you planned on using it dirty.

According to all reports, the L7 has pretty good headroom. Is it loud enough to play clean with a band? Someone who has taken delivery and actually plays in a band could answer that better than I.

HTH

17. radialaced

radialaced Member

Brilliant!!!

18. mattk22

mattk22 Member

Boomer,

Did you get the Lucky 7? How does it sound cranked up? Any clips? Is it loud enough to use with a drummer?

19. Boomer

Boomer Member

Yes!
    Loud and crunchy!
    I haven't played with a drummer in so long I don't know, but I would think so if you don't mind the crunch (although it stays clean pretty loud).
    Hotplate arrived last night, so I'll be playing with it more, It's going to Tonefest so there should be more comments then.

20. rclemmer

rclemmer Guest

I just picked up a Fuchs Lucky 7 and all I can say is - WOW!! I love this amp. I wasn't sure what to expect and feared the tone would be too similar to my Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Boy was I surprised. The Lucky 7 has the unmistakable feel and response of an EL34, with enough volume for modest band work. By no means is it loud enough to keep up in an unwieldy band situation, but for moderate volumes it is remarkable.

As others have suggested, it is fairly loud for a bedroom amp, but run it through a nice attenuator (I use the Dr Z Airbrake) and it is good to go.

It has mild breakup on its own as the EL34 starts to break up. Put a nice O/D pedal in front and it screams. I've used and OCD, TIM and Full-drive 2 with good results. I also dig the way the Z.Vex Super Hard On sounds with it.

For cabinets I use either my Dr Z Z-best or Bogner 1x12 cube. Both work great. Next I'll try a 2x10 open back.