Fuchs Lucky 7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beckstriad, Feb 9, 2006.

1. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

What do you guys think about the Fuchs Lucky 7? What kind of tone does it provide? Also, is it a good amp for gigging? Meaning does it get loud enough to cut through the mix? Thanks in advance...

2. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

3. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

How's the clean on this thing?

4. FUSER

FUSER Member

Has anyone got the combo?

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

have you searched the forums? We've discussed the Lucky 7 a ton on this board recently :)

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I just got one on Friday. Haven't had a chance to really try it out, but I can say that it is pretty loud through a 2x12. I don't gig, I'm sure that it would be enough for small clubs. The cleans are nice and chimy and I was able to get just above halfway on the dial before they started getting gritty. It has more gain and it louder than I had expected with a thumping low end. I would have bought it for this alone. I'm very please so far.

I planned on cranking it up today, but now that I'm snowed in with my wife and 2 kids it doesn't look too promising..........I'll just have to substitute by guitar for a shovel :(

p.s. The clips on Fuch's web site sound good, but don't even come close to the gain that it is capable of. I don't think Eddie Berman of Indoor Storm is a fan of gain, because all his amp samples show the cleaner sides of the amps he demos.

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Very interesting, and good to know... I appreciate you posting that. I'm going to save up for an ODS 50 but I'm also considering a Lucky 7 for times when portability is a big issue

8. lgehrig4

It's very light too if thats of concern. By briefcase is heavier

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

yeah, at 10 pounds I'm thinkin I could carry the head in my backpack!

10. neastguy

pretty gritty at half way, but by then its real loud correct? what kind of gain to you think its capable of with a single coil?

11. lgehrig4

Correct, at halfway it is loud. I tried it with both my LP & John Mayer Strat. You can get good classic rock sounds with the strat. It's not EVH gain. I quickly ran it through my limited lick vocabulary and it easily played Cream, Bad Company, Zep, etc.

Listen to the clips on this link. The last one (clip 4) pretty much sums up the gain potential on a single coil.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=98447&highlight=fuchs+lucky

12. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

It's only 7 watts...probably not that great.

13. lgehrig4

Old Fender Champs have nice cleans and I think are less than 7watts

14. neastguy

that amp sounds great, I just cant afford it right now...dang.. I'd have to get an OD to go with it and that would put me in the 1k range.... sounds real good though....

15. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

You'd be surprised.....amp is very loud before it starts getting mean!

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I had that same question/issue. It might be "loud enough" for gigging in small venues, but I wasn't sure about the clean headroom. Thus Santa brought me (okay, actually great-aunt santa) a Blackjack 21. I've gigged with it three times at small to medium-sized venues, through an Avatar G212H cab. It's pretty dang cool. I can get enough clean headroom for 70's funk with a Strat (think nile rogers & chic and earth, wind,& fire), and its overdrive song, (heh-heh)... Schweeeeet.

Peace,

jb:dude

17. mtm105

mtm105 Senior Member

Lucky 7 is unapologetically loud. FUCHS is a morph between Vox, Fender and Marshall.

Single channel has one single glorious EL 34 fed by two pre-amp tubes. If you LOVE EL 34s, buy a single channel if you can find it. They are no longer made. Although, I believe new Amp has single channel option. But 6V6s.

It probalby surpasses a LOUD 10 or 12 Amps.

TRAINWRECK type circuitry with high trace PCBs. It's the best of every world. Dr Z lovers won't admit that FUCHS single channel is BETTER.