1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchs modded amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by afterosmosis, Jun 6, 2005.

1. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I severely desire a Fuchs ODS50 but don't have ~$3k to drop on an amp, so something like a modded Fender or Traynor head would be much more viable. I'm just curious how they sound/how close to the "real deal" they are?

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

As someone who owns a mod, I don't find my Traynor to be all that close. Especially since it runs EL34s, it's a different beast. A modded Fender might be a bit closer but I'd say that Andy's iron makes a pretty substantial difference from the basic Fender trannys.

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have a mod made from a MusicMan and a just pre SLX ODS100. The factory amps I tried prior to buying mine were smoother and had more gain than my mod. I asked Andy if he could make a factory amp that was more like my mod and he said that there were differences. He did tone down the gain somewhat and added some bite. Don't know if there are different value parts in there of he did it with the trimmers, although the clean seems less round and more responsive.

Overall, the factory amp has more color and is more responsive to tone production variations. Although the mod certainly beats any production amp I've found.

4. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Well, my style has been shifting more into blues and jazz over the past year or so, and because of that I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with my current amp. It's great for rock and metal but that's just not my bag anymore.

I'm currently running a few different OD pedals in front of the clean channel (most notably a Hermida Zendrive, which I'm very happy with and is part of what got me thinking a new amp might be in order). I'm thinking of selling it and picking up a Bassman 50, etc and eventually having it modded.

I know I definitely want a 6L6 based amp no more than 50 or 60 watts.

5. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Andy once told me my mod'd '82-or-so Fender Concert was about 90% there, maybe more. i'm mostly looking for a jazzy, bluesy sound and don't even use the "Rock" switch or the OD half the time.

the other half the time - that's fun, too. ;)

:cool:

(p.s. this is pre-SLX, etc., about 2 yrs ago)

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

They can mod the Concerts? Very cool, I wasn't sure what all they can/can't do really as their site only gives a few examples. I'll have to drop them an email when/if it comes to that and then see what kind of used amps I can find.

7. scottl

scottl Member

8. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

If I get a mod it will be because I bought an amp and sent it to them, as I'll have to sell my current amp, then purchase a mod platform and take time to save up a bit more $$$.

9. hawkeyeinexile

Andy said he likes my '79 Bassman 70 mod & the Rivera-era Fender, cuz he likes the trannies & stuff. he likes other stuff, too, of course, but Fenders are easy. ('cept for the little ones :eek:)

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I'll probably have to go with a head here, so I don't know if I could go with a Concert (unless they make Concert heads, I have no idea there). Is there a Fender head you guys would recommend over a Bassman?

11. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I have a modded bassman and a bandmaster reverb and I think they both kill! Got the BMR first and then had to have another for home...

12. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I didn't even think about the Bandmasters, reverb would be nice to have before sending it off. I'll have to look around and see what kind of prices they're going for.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have an early bassman or bandmaster mod. (cant remember which) It is a KILLER amp. One of my favorite all around amps ever.
    Great job Andy! :dude

14. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Could some of you guys maybe post some pics of your mods, or maybe just email them to me? I'd appreciate it :).

You can use the email address via the button below or this one: ajmcquay(at)hotmail.com

15. hawkeyeinexile

well, if you want a Concert head, i've got one & it's for sale, $399 + shipping from 95051.

16. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Hehe, thanks for the offer. I have my amp up for sale right now, I'll wait until it sells before I swing for something else. If you don't mind, could you email me some pics/info about it?

17. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I've had three Fuchs ODS mods. One into a JCM 800 2x12, one into a Bandmaster Reverb head, and the other into a SF Princeton. The latter was an impressive feat -- he added reverb and a loop.

They were all nice amps. I liked to OD channel in the JCM, the clean channel in the Bandmaster R, and I was completely knocked out by both channels of the Princeton.

BUT

I've been up close and personal a few times now with an ODS50 combo w/SLX, and the mods don't even come close.

18. aleclee

I was under the impression that Andy wasn't doing mods these days.
    :confused:

19. aleclee

20. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

There's still a mods section on their website, but I suppose it could just be due for an update. I certainly hope they're still modding...