Fuchs modded Two Rock Emerald on eBay....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fishin'Musician, Mar 20, 2006.

1. enchan-ted

enchan-ted Member

that's hilarious!!!

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Wow! Sold for $1,300??? :jo

3. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Sounds like that could have been a preety good deal... but only the new owner will really know when the amp gets to them. I really wonder what Andy did to it??

Ted

4. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

I saw that last night and almost pulled the trigger as I'm looking for a 50 watter and the price was great........ but.It sounded like a complete ODS mod.Wondered what would be left of the two rock besides the chassis and the cab?Probably a good transformer but would it be greatly different than any other modded brand?I 'll never know now............:NUTS

5. Rick0

Rick0 Member

Not to stir anything up...but it's beyond me why someone would have an ODS mod done on a Two-Rock, (or the other way around for that matter).

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

It's no more crazy then buying a Lamborgini and modding it to be a Ferrari? :eek: If you like Ferrari's buy a Ferrari, if you like Lamborgini's buy a Lamborgini, but it doesn't make sense in "most" situations to buy one and mod it to be the other!

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

+1!!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Yeah, but you wouldn't do it the other way around!!!

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Seems like a pretty pricey choice of donor amp. I wonder if there was something FUBAR with the donor amp that led to this result.

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I am not Surprised. I think Two Rock amps are the Most Overratted POS in the Amp World. I owned a Emerald 50 and a Custom Reverb. They Both Sucked. Way too Much Harsh Mid-Range and Lame Overdrive. - Good Riddance!

11. scottl

scottl Member

I think there was something very wrong woth the donor amp... This is/was not standard practice, and it was also done like 6 years ago! This thread is pointless as it was a one off for a specific reason.

Hey Jack, tell us how you really feel about Andy's products.... LOL

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

There was an extensive thread on this subject a few years ago. Let's try to keep this one civil, so it does'nt get locked or someone gets booted.

Not sure if it's still in the archives, but here's a brief rundown: The original buyer (a guy named Dave R.) bought it "new" from a dealer. The dealer assured him it was "factory new". It had been played by a number of Forumites while at said dealer (Dave Paetow from the Les Paul forum was one I that I can remember), all who'd heard it said it sounded "less than stellar". Customer Dave bought it (I think by mail, not in person), he sent it back for repairs and updates at Two Rock, for which he'd paid over 400 bucks, but amp came back with the same major "issues". The factory basically abandoned it, claiming it was "tainted goods". It was a battle of he said-they said. The issues: it was noisy, generally sounded bad, switches popped, controls crackled, it was intermittant (needed to be hit to play sometimes), and it picked up radio stations.

Two Rock insisted the amp had been modded or played-with by someone else. Dealer and owner insisted otherwise. The customer felt he paid for an update and repair that didn't address his problems. Since the guy basically had noplace to turn, it came here as a last-stop "charity case". I offered to take a look and would try to set it straight. The amp was pretty rough: many solder connections with green mold on them (a sign of acid core solder or fluxes being used without proper cleaning), parts buried in, under and around silicone glop, pc mount type pots and switches used with wires wrapped around their terminals etc. I offered to gut and rebuild it as an ODS mod. The resulting amp sounded much better, actually quite good, it was reliable, and I sent it back to him. He got a bargain, and I got to see an early Two Rock up close.

It's changed hands a few times since. I always get e-mails asking about it, as it's an unusual unit to see for obvious reasons. When I'd last seen and played it, it was a pretty nice sounding unit.

Despite those that like to suggest otherwise, it was (and remains) the one and only Two Rock I have ever worked on in my life, despite repeated offers to do so since.

A few before and after pictures circulated around the web (sent to someone as "private pictures" which then ended up becoming public without my approval) on the internet.

Like many boutique companies, Two Rock has had a few rough spots on the road to where they are today. This amp should in no way be viewed as any reflection of the current products nor the company.

The mods I did and all this stuff, happened almost 6 years ago. I think we're all in a different place now :). Let's all try to behave from here on....

13. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Way to handle a potentially touchy situation Andy, much respect for the informative, and positive way you've responded.:AOK

14. Joe Mlog

Joe Mlog Member

yeah, that's a controversial piece, to say the least....[​IMG]
    A buddy notified me today that it was for sale. For $1300, I would have bought it myself.My plan was to change it back into a TR and return the board to Andy.
    For the record, my recollection is there was a pic of this amp (after the mod) on your site, Andy. But like you said, that's all in the past now, isn't it? I'm sure the new owner will be contacting one or both of us. Of course, any issues with the actual chassis or knobs will be handled by us. Not sure how to divvy up the rest... your thoughts?:rolleyes:

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

My slogan is "I don't build orphans". That being said, I'd always service it if required (cept' of the knobs or chassis needed the kind of personal attention only you're uniquely qualified to give Joe...lol).

16. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

I didn't mean to stir anything up , I just thought the guy selling it was misinformed or full of sheet. Pretty interesting stuff though, and I certainly don't think it was a pointless thread, Scott!

...and for the record Andy definitely stands behind that "don't build orphans" slogan completely. Without going into detail I will say this from first hand experience.

17. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

+1 for Andy's customer support. I too can vouch for the "no orphans" policy from personal experience. Excellent diplomatic response Andy. But I would expect nothing less from my dealings with you. I own anTR E Pro and several Fuchs amps. Similar foods, different flavors. All stellar products. The Fuchs get much more play with me, but that's just my personal taste. Plenty of room for appreciation of both company's products. Thanks to all involved for producing such fine and satisfying gear. :BEER

18. scottl

scottl Member

Jeez... It turned out more civil than I envisioned... Thus the basis for my comments...

Big ups guys!

19. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

OK I'm the idiot in question! :NUTS :D That was my amp and I shall set the record straight. Again. Maybe for the last time. I hope.

I bought that amp used from a private party in California and paid about $2,900. I was eager to get "that" tone. RF, Carlton, etc. When I got the amp I was VERY unhappy with the tone. It was thin, bright and didn't have much gain. I posted my feelings on Ampage. A lot of folks there were Dumble crazy at that time and really interested in the Two Rock. I got an email form Steve Snider at the time suggesting I give the TR folks a call. Steve said he knew or knew of the guy I purchased the amp from and he suspected it had been modded. Who would mod a newTR? Now that would be crazy. He suggested I contact TR and that they would take care of me, fix the amp and maybe do it for nothing. I popped open the amp and was unhappy with what I saw. Very poor wiring, sloppy soldering and nothing that made me happy about spending all that cash. I tried to get my money back from the seller, but no dice. The amp had been de-gooped, but not modded. I suspect this amp was very early and pretty much a prototype. It has no serial number and has Mesa Boogie transformers. So I called. TR.

I was told that they could fix it, correct any tampering if there was any and upgrade the amp to their then latest specs. This would cost me $400 plus me shipping it from WI. Well, I din't have much choice, so I sent it back. They turned it around quickly. When I got it, it was better, but nothing to write home about. I opened the amp and was greeted with fresh circuit goop, some new 120K plate resistors and not much else. The wires on the pots that were soldered next to the lugs and not through them were still there with the same sloppy home brew wiring. I was bummed and felt ripped off.

I now wanted out of this thing and tried to sell iton the web. I had a hard time because of the ever changing "new and improved this one really sounds like Robben" models and circuits coming out of TR at the time. Mine was fast becoming an "old" version. I had it on consignment at a mid WI music store with a good web presence for 8 months. That's where Dave Paetow saw and played it and commented on its' lack of tone and noise. I don't know Dave personally and have never met him. Great name, though. The music store couldn't unload it either.

That's when I turned to Andy. If I couldn't sell it, maybe he could mod it to sound better. TR didn't dis-own it, I chose not to let them get more of my money. I didn't give them another crack at it. Andy agreed to do what he could with it. After he got the amp, he decided we would both be better off with him doing one of his conversions. He agreed to do it for a very good price to help me out. :AOK At this point at least I'd have a unique amp that I'd hopefully like and maybe I could sell it if not. At least the reverb would work and it wouldn't be noisey and cut out. Andy did an excellent job and it came back a way better amp. I sold the amp maybe two years ago on eBay for $1,600, I think. Still a huge loss all the way around. Why sell it? I now own a Fuchs ODS 50 SLX. That one is awesome and needs no modding.

Now, lest any of you think I'm just slagging the TR guys, please keep in mind that I'm a regular (daily usually) visitor here and I don't break into the TR love fest threads and try to put them or thier products down. My experience with them was not good and I'll leave it at that. I think that covers it. I'm nuts but not crazy! At ease men!