Fuchs modification on Fender Blues Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TPC168, Oct 3, 2006.

1. TPC168

TPC168 Member

Hi, I was wondering if any of the forum posters or players out there have had their fender tweed rigs sent to Fuchs for SLX voicing and modification. More specifically, has anyone experienced a conversion with a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue. I enjoy the amp's chiming cleans and, when pushed to a higher volume, I like the bit of breakup involved. I just cannot warm up to the rather thin sounding overdrive. I'm sure the Fuchs mods would enhance the overall drive and I noticed that they appreciate the half-decent circuitry Fender currently employs on their amps. So does anyone have any kind of experience to help me out?
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Now that is a hip idea!

3. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I'd suggest you check out the "Modifications" section of the Fuchs web site and or talk to Andy. It is my understanding that you would end up with mostly a Fuchs, and very little of a Blues Deluxe. I think you'll end up with most of the Fender circuitry removed.

That's not a bad thing, though, if what you want is a Fuchs. But, if you are hoping to retain the sound of your Blues Deluxe, you might want to consider some of the other types of mods that directly address your complaints with the Blues Deluxe.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I intend to have modded by Andy some day soon. My complaints are similar to yours. I also have a Fuchs ODS 30 combo that I really enjoy, and I have no doubts that the Fuchs mod on the HRD will give me the goods.

I would suggest that you listen to a Fuchs modded amp, or some samples to see if that is really what you are looking for. Keep in mind that the mods do not include the SLX, so listening to a production ODS with SLX will be a bit different sounding than the mod.

-jm

4. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

That is correct - the Fuchs mod is a total re-do of the circuitry, the only thing left is the chassis and the tranny.
    Andy has done a lot of other work, but that's not what the "mod" is about. see the web site.

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I believe that all Fuchs mods do include SLX, although not up to Scott's current config, which is constantly evolving.

gb

6. jmadill

Then things have changed. When I asked Andy about upgrading my HRD, and how close it would come to the ODS SLX, here's what he wrote to me:

I hope you are right, but I'm not counting on it. :-(

jm

7. TPC168

TPC168 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do hear a noticeable difference between the ODS non-SLX and SLX with respect to the clips from the website. Maybe the total SLX conversion would be a bit too complicated for a Fender amp. I'm sure it would be a close comparison to one of his signature Fuchs amps with "slightly less gain" etc. I'm just thinking that maybe having this mod done would take away from the aspects I truly enjoy about the Fender amp and sound, though I love the quality in tone I hear from the Fuchs. Tough decision. It will probably come down to money in the end. I'm not in a situation where I can have a ton of amps at my disposal. Again, thanks for the assistance.

8. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I'm starting to give a look at the Fuchs mod process, because I simply can't afford a new one. What amps are good for this? I'm looking for a lot of clean headroom, but a reasonable ability to break up on the distortion channel.

9. jmadill

10. dotlikeimpact

The one thing that seems unclear from Fuch's description is what output will be on a modded amp. Will it be the same as the donor amp?

11. dotlikeimpact

Anyone try this mod on a Hot Rod/Blues Deville? If so, how's the output headroom?

12. Boomer

Boomer Member

I believe that is determined by the power and output transformers and the tubes Andy ends up using. If you drop him a note with information on your donor amp I'm usre he can give you a very educated guess on the funal output power. They are all different.

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Our mods are usually the same power as the donor amp. You may have a little more headroom (because of new and larger power supply filter caps), but the actual output power is unchanged. Now, if you want to upgrade the transformers, we can boost the power. The Princetons "twins" on our website (built for Paul Jackson Junior) were built with large power and output transformers to put out 30-watts from 2-6L6's. Obviously, these changes are an upcharge.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's what Pete Cage of Cage Amplifiers did to my Blues Deluxe. The circuitry is similar to a BF Bandmaster with a couple of beneficial tweaks. Pete can also do a tweed-type circuit on this amp. Note that this is a very different end result than what you'd get from Andy, tonewise, so don't go this route if what you're after is a Fuchs! I'm just showing another option for how to change a Blues Deluxe into something better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

IMHO, a Fuchs modded 6L6 like a Fender sounds closer to a production Fuchs than it does to the donor amp, although a modded EL34 Traynor or Marshall will sound somewhat different (but pretty awesome).